Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

2Her use and Shaman tanking - Official thread

This thread is for those who want to discuss bizarre unorthodox uses of the Shaman class.

Please be aware of some different rules for this thread.

1) Two handers and shaman tanking is dead for regular play - this thread is for those who appreciate that its dead for regular play and want to discuss the "off spec" fun elements rather than trying to suggest it as a serious option.

2) Flaming those that post here saying 2h is dead or Shaman tanking is dead won't be tolerated. (Even though you are right for main spec play) - I'll ban flamers.

3) Treat this thread as an interesting fun topic.

Derogatory suggestions for how to use a shaman won't be tolerated either, especially from non-shamans.

Re: Two Handed use and Shaman tanking - Official thread

I'm glad to see this thread, I've never personally leveled a shaman but playing on my friends 80 t9 shammy i always thought it was the most fun to strap on his earthshaper and light some stuff up so i'm interested to see what other people have done with more unorthodox shaman builds.
    If it bleeds we can kill it.

I see the giant wooden badger strategy worked. Good call, Levva.

I'd like to see someone post the history of shaman itemization, including shield use, off-tank viability in vanilla (as hinted at in the game manual), and 2-hander inclusion in our spec. I came along in BC, so I'm sure that someone else could do a better job than me. I'd like for any newcomer to the topic to be able to get the straight skinny on how shamans have changed from then to now, so as to be able to hit this thread with a full understanding of the background.

I'm guessing Levva could move their post to 2nd place in this thread.

Some of the biggest I've had in the last few months was running MC with a hunter and a priest. I was the main tank (and DPS), while the hunter's pet was offtank, the hunter was DPS, and the priest was DPS and healing.

Against MC there was no big danger except for a few of the boss fights, but we managed to get them all down.

For one of the fights the priest went down, so I was stuck healing myself and the hunter and their pet while tanking and DPS'ing, and that was both intense and a lot of fun.

We got the whole instance down, and I managed to get an Eye of Sulfuras out of it.

What was most interesting was the different perspective of being the tank. Being a ranged DPS, for many fights, there isn't much of an issue with positioning, once the initial placement is set. While, as a tank, I had to do a lot more dynamic positioning of myself and the mob, for example, to point certain effects away from the DPS and healer, and had to be a lot more proactive about getting aggro on new targets (or re-acquiring aggro at times).

Tremendous fun, in any case.

Thx!

Pendergrass (I'm a full T9 Elemental Shaman).

A few months ago I saw a youtube video of a shaman tanking Sartharion. After I saw this thread i went and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOCyKbOCmAg

I figure if you got like offset tank gear (cloak, neck, trinks, rings) and with PVP gear, you could probably get pretty close to def cap with the high level of +def on TOC gear.

Quote Originally Posted by morfy88
    A few months ago I saw a youtube video of a shaman tanking Sartharion. After I saw this thread i went and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOCyKbOCmAg

I figure if you got like offset tank gear (cloak, neck, trinks, rings) and with PVP gear, you could probably get pretty close to def cap with the high level of +def on TOC gear.
    While I appreciate the effort this guy went to to get this stuff the mere fact that he had to give up 7.5% avoidance by not being able to take Spirit Weapons means sadly we wont be tanking anytime soon again unless blizz changes that. Really a shame, I had tanked most 5 mans instances on my shaman in vanilla wow and had even been the OT tank for a lot of ZG and AQ20 runs
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

I'm glad that Blizzard cares about the little things...

i am pretty sure we could need a official topic to discuss dw-tanking hunter . never came across a spreadsheet or a bis-itemlist for this yet untraditional but still interessting specc.

to start off i would like to post my thoughts about this. here is the specc i would suggest:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?hunt...&version=10747

ontopic: sounds like a very good idea to me. please post a vid after your first tries

season 5
    Betrayer of Humanity
    Enhancement shaman

someones face was getting knocked off
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    Dear Blizzard,
    Can our guild have a free pass on Northrend Beasts? We don't believe in harming animals, and would really prefer to not have to fight this boss. ToC looks like a really fun instance, and we would love to experience all your hard work, but we just cannot kill animals.

Thanks!
    <VegansLOL>
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Sure, Why Not!
    We already hand everything out for free anyway. Want a free legendary while we're at it?
    (Avatar too big.)

Quote Originally Posted by Weckerkind
    i am pretty sure we could need a official topic to discuss dw-tanking hunter . never came across a spreadsheet or a bis-itemlist for this yet untraditional but still interessting specc.

to start off i would like to post my thoughts about this. here is the specc i would suggest:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?hunt...&version=10747

ontopic: sounds like a very good idea to me. please post a vid after your first tries
    I've never even heard of dw tanking hunters, and as some one who prides himself on using less than conventional specs(2h paladin tanking ftw?) find it very interesting. Comparing shaman tanking to hunter tanking (at a glance) definately seems to favor hunters. That spec really has alot of avoidance, stamina, and a decent armor bonus. Holding aggro as a hunter would be possible with chain tricks/MDs and spaming their taunt-shot.

On the subject of shamans with 2hs, especially in pvp, just how non-viable is it? I've seen a few shamans running around in BGs with furious weapons (not to say they got their rating doing so) and completely wrecking casters within a few 2-3 GCDs leading me to believe that while is obviously not a very attractive spec due to RNG reliance, it is possible to preform well enough to make for some fun pvp experiances.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

Quote Originally Posted by Horn
    On the subject of shamans with 2hs, especially in pvp, just how non-viable is it? I've seen a few shamans running around in BGs with furious weapons (not to say they got their rating doing so) and completely wrecking casters within a few 2-3 GCDs leading me to believe that while is obviously not a very attractive spec due to RNG reliance, it is possible to preform well enough to make for some fun pvp experiances.
    I agree that although it can lead to some fun in BGs you have to remember that there are often many casters running around in PVE gear thus making them easy targets. Nobody denies that seeing huge WF crits is fun when RNG is on your side. ;D The problem is that all of our new abilities are being based around DWing so 2Hers don't play nicely with them.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Embermoon
    I see the giant wooden badger strategy worked. Good call, Levva.

I'd like to see someone post the history of shaman itemization, including shield use, off-tank viability in vanilla (as hinted at in the game manual), and 2-hander inclusion in our spec. I came along in BC, so I'm sure that someone else could do a better job than me. I'd like for any newcomer to the topic to be able to get the straight skinny on how shamans have changed from then to now, so as to be able to hit this thread with a full understanding of the background.

I'm guessing Levva could move their post to 2nd place in this thread.
    Look up "Windfury Triple Crit"

15+ Year Old Account

I actually won edge of ruin the other day cause i was in a group where no one wanted it haven't tried it though..oddly enough my skill is too low to hit anything with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    This thread is for those who want to discuss bizarre unorthodox uses of the Shaman class.

saying 2h is dead or Shaman tanking is dead won't be tolerated. (Even though you are right for main spec play)
    Lol Levva, way to remain objective, definitely no opinions shown here haha. I think this thread will be interesting. I just want to see a vid of someone trying to sham tank current content. I'll be amazed if they are successful, but i'd be glad to see some failboat leeroy jenkins action as well haha

Quote Originally Posted by KhameleonN
    Look up "Windfury Triple Crit"
    I've heard about how broken windfury was back then. What I'm hoping someone would take the time to do, is write up a concise history of enhance, from then, to now. I could do the BC and Wrath bits without embarrassing myself too much, but not the vanilla history.

Gday folks. I'm here to post a little summary about the basics of shaman tanking. I wouldn't recommend rolling a shaman tank to folk unless you already play 1 or 2 tanking classes to begin with, since it helps to have a good understanding of how threat works when you're pulling this off.
    I pug the daily heroics and i run at least 1 10man voa/ony/maly per week with my shaman this way. For videos detailing WotLK shaman tank progression you can visit my youtube site http://www.youtube.com/user/sharicasmi

Shaman generally only produce 2400-3500 threat per second without spirit weapons, so you're going to want to bring a rogue to feed you threat. You'll also want to have at least 550 resilience or 540 defense (780 defense rating), tanking eadric the pure in heroic toc, you'll get crit occasionally because he has an ability that allows him to. He crits all tanks and thats the only fight my shaman has ever been crit in. Goto http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...s&n=Sharicasmi copy my spec and glyphs (Stormstrike glyph is optional).
    Details about rotation and general basics are in my 'how to tank enhance' videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFF_zcqPwHM

Frost shock deals x2 threat per damage (changed from earth shock) our shield specialization was useless anyways, and we benefit more from the 6% reduced damage taken talent. You need to have omen up, lightning bolt (slow travel/cast time) skull, lava burst (fast cast/medium travel time) X, Chain lightning (fast cast/instant travel time) triangle/square, and frost shock skull. This way all your spells hit their targets at relatively the same time, and you can flip to a melee weapon with windfury on your first frost shock. Spend your maelstrom charges on chain lightnings in aoes, and healing waves for single target fights. A greater heal does about 15% less threat per cast than what lightning bolt/chain lightning would at 1600 sp.
    Though you CAN clear dungeons without misdirect classes, it requires alot of cc and patience from your dps. It's much easier and faster to bring a rogue and build threat on whatever they're not hitting, try to find 'holes' in their threat and fill them in. At this point, you can focus more on managing your cooldowns and defensive abilities (Stoneclaw totem, Shamanistic rage, feral spirit, grounding totem, earth elemental, maelstrom heals.) You'll want to hotkey feral spirit's 'twin howl' because you'll be using your wolves as a health regen cd on trash pulls, an aoe taunt when things get out of hand, and a last stand, when you dip below 20% health, when you'd rather your wolves take the next 2 hits. Earth elemental has a 10minute cd but it pops an challenging shout upon being summoned, and spams mocking blow on its main target. My earth elemental has 42k, my wolves have 22k. If all cd's are down, your last resort is to pull out earthbind totem and start kiting until your healer can get you up.
    Hex can be used on trash to recover aggro on an individual mob. Simply hex the target attacking your party member, deal with it last, but open up with a lightning bolt/lava burst, chain lightning, frost shock, to put yourself 9-11k threat ahead of what you were when it was attacking the wrong person.
    Follow these steps, bring a rogue, and you'll be surprised how little damage you take in 5mans. Some heroics are actually easier with a shaman main tank, since you can throw out chain heals to combat raid damage, and throw down cleansing totem to cleanse poisons for your priest/pally healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Horn
    A shaman with an 1800 2h weapon and 3k ap (should be pretty easy to maintain) would do about 6.5k damage with a windfury proc on a low armored target, add to that a stormstrike and a white swing, and let any of those 5 hits crit and you can easily kill a pve geared/specced clothy in 4 seconds. The probability of the windfury occurring on one of the 3 hits mentioned is about 50%, so you can see why some people might enjoy this in BGs, once resil gets added to the picture though you realize its just up front burst at the expense of any kind of sustained damage since you've lost lava lash, a decent amount of AP and the offhand weapon imbue. So basically its windfury or death because you have nothing left to do afterword. Moreover this strat is pretty much only effective against low armored casters, throw the avoidance and armor numbers from any melee spec (or a boomkin/ele/resto/holypally) into the equation and the damage gets nerfed to heck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Applesaus
    Lol Levva, way to remain objective, definitely no opinions shown here haha. I think this thread will be interesting. I just want to see a vid of someone trying to sham tank current content. I'll be amazed if they are successful, but i'd be glad to see some failboat leeroy jenkins action as well haha
    Who said I had to remain objective. I shall however honor my word and keep the thread clean of people who try to derail it. A very informative post from sharicasmi for instance actually makes the effort of creating the thread worth it in my mind.

10+ Year Old Account

I miss the days of 2h Enh, aside from the fact that in the old days every respec dropped all of your 2h weapon skill....
    for anyone who wants to see a good video of an old school 2h shammy google unbreakable, pvp vid of HWL + HoR shammy, some very very nasty WF crits.

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    Who said I had to remain objective. I shall however honor my word and keep the thread clean of people who try to derail it. A very informative post from sharicasmi for instance actually makes the effort of creating the thread worth it in my mind.
    Lol I was just giving you a hard time I completely agree, keep it up!

Deleted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYShDHKPn6E

I made this video a while ago, but cant seem to find the time to work on the rest of it, 2h Enhancement as always been a passion for me, even though blizzard refuses to make us viable, I wont ever stop doing it unless they remove our 2h axe/mace skills.