Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Prot block set: Is 102.4% miss/parry/dodge/block obtainable for us?

why the hell would you have 8 on you at one time? Is your dps so bad that they cant aoe the first 4 down before the 2nd set come up and get anub down? If so forget anub-arak 25 hc you wont down p3 before the enrage. Trying to tank 8 adds is basically suicide. There is a high chance of a back hit which would be instant death you will take enormous damage and could easily die at any time. All in all it is a bad idea and BARELY possible if that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputine
    Second, the Draenei used a dimensional ship powered by the holy snowflakes, which utilizes a plot-hole drive engine.

Felt the need to register to correct some errors in this post.

As Nilo said before, it is a 100% increase in attack speed, and it is multiplicative.

The way you can sorta assume it is multiplicative is because every single haste buff is in its own buff slot. IE you see 3 buffs and not 1 buff with 3 stacks. The game does not treat seperate % increase buffs additively.

This means with 4 adds the increase attack speed is (1+100%)(1+100%)(1+100%) = (2)(2)(2) = 8 times faster.

The formula for it is 2^(N-1) where N is the number of adds. So tanking 8 adds at a given time is 128 times faster. There base attack speed is 1 hit every 2 seconds. That means 64*8= 512 hits in a second.

That means, if at any time you are unable to fully block every single attack, you are dead. Whereas, tanking 4 adds you can take dmg even when blocking and survive.

And 2 other reasons not to tank 8 adds at once, 1) you have a high chance to show your back, which means you are dead so fast you have no reaction time at all 2) your dps will be so focused on killing all the adds u built up in phase 1 that you will get overwhelmed by scarabs causing you to die in phase 2.

Threat would be a non issue, and the shadow strike as well as long as you have a timer and precast an aoe stun.

Deleted

i guess 8 is just too much for the current gear level. even if they only deal 2-3k each hit, they would attack incredibly fast. and if you should be able to survive this as well, even in p3, then their shadowstrike would be too fast to stop it on all of them.

with very good gear 4 should be the maximum you should tank at any time.

As I am my guild's add tank, I feel a bit obligated to post.

Yes, obtaining the 101.6% (yes, it is 101.6 and not 101.8) for the lvl 82 add tanking on HM Anub, is possible. With four adds, they have a 1 second cast on Shadow Strike and is very easily handled by a prot paladin with holy wrath. You do NOT need to dedicate any extra dps if your add tank is competent about saving a GCD for when their Boss Mods tell them SS is 1 second from being cast as if the adds are stunned when Anub sends the signal for them to do Shadow Strike, they will not cast it period. They do however have to be stunned for the entire duration of the signal being sent; meaning at 1 sec or so, you had better hit Holy Wraith cause with lag, etc, you'll be pretty spot on.

Four adds hit me roughly 8 times in .8-1 second. So Holy shield is NOT an option when considering it in the 101.6% value. If you need help putting pieces together, Worldie has a very nice list of gear already laid out from many months of add tanking theory; not to mention there are several strats in the following thread:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

Even with 4 adds, when you get 1 behind you, you're done...period. I took 50k once one got behind me in about 1 second.

Even for 102.4% for bosses is easily obtainable. I know I have it in my tank set.
    Can't have a crusade without crusader aura.

It seemed appropriate to post here rather than to start a new topic.

Does every point of defense add a static amount of %chance to miss? (once at 400skill and lvl80)
    or does it have diminishing returns similar to how much dodge/parry/block each point of defense provides?
    or none of the above?

If I'm shooting for the 101.6%...is that strictly dodge+parry+block chance or does %chance to miss get factored into that number?

15+ Year Old Account

%chance for attacks to miss is based of off your level.

Defense increases you chance to Parry, Dodge, and Block until it starts to hit DR- Thats why in 4.0 most tanks will have around 16% less avoidance.

Miss has DR too, there's a wowwiki article about diminishing returns for all avoidance stats

http://www.wowwiki.com/Formula:Melee...ishing_returns

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    %chance for attacks to miss is based of off your level.

Defense increases you chance to Parry, Dodge, and Block until it starts to hit DR- Thats why in 4.0 most tanks will have around 16% less avoidance.
    ronark, please stick to ret, you have no idea how defense works...

Defense is a skill that helps prevent physical damage by reducing the chance to be hit or critically hit. Additionally, it also increases block, dodge and parry. Mobs receive 0.1% per point of defense. Mobs get an additional benefit from defense of Glancing Blows versus players.
    source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Defense

With the amount of avoidance listed above it is possible to tank 4 adds, and no more than 4 adds, at any given time. Even with the given avoidance and block value, the tank will still take damage and require a fair amount of healing, as the adds are attacking incredibly fast, even though they aren't hitting very hard. By adding in 1 extra add the haste value is increased so much that your tank most likely won't manage to live for more than a couple of seconds unless he has a the majority of his cooldowns poped (I am not certain they would actualy last much longer). The adds come out in groups of four, threat shouldn't be to much of an issue, and AoE'd down before the new wave spawns. Once the boss reaches 30% hp, stop poping innervates to those holy paladins as the tanks are going to be tanking a massive amount of damage. Please comment if anything in this post is wrong as I personaly haven't downed the boss and am a dpser and not a tank. (We got the boss to 6% before wipe).

Just since no one has touched this issue, if you block an attack, you ignore the +225% dmg. This is the reason warriors/paladins are preferred than DKs/druids for this task. Going from 15k hits down to ~5k is a HUGE change, and blocking 50%+ of that dmg ontop of avoiding the 10k is icing on the cake. The nerubians need to get nerfed and this needs to get changed.

[21:54:18.840] Zarahtra afflicted by Expose Weakness (7) from Nerubian Burrower
    [21:54:19.085] Nerubian Burrower hits Zarahtra Miss
    [21:54:19.340] Nerubian Burrower hits Zarahtra 12666
    [21:54:20.348] Nerubian Burrower hits Zarahtra 571 (B: 4437)

But yer, I'd say just go for 2 tanks, atleast most certainly kill the 1st 4 adds before 2nd set spawns. The question you need to ask yourself is: Will I actually gain dps from using 1 tank rather than 2? Your dps will need to MD/tricks you and go far out of their way to give you initial threat over those pesky paladins that do shitetons of TPS through 100% effectiveness of beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by BDF
    It seemed appropriate to post here rather than to start a new topic.

Does every point of defense add a static amount of %chance to miss? (once at 400skill and lvl80)
    or does it have diminishing returns similar to how much dodge/parry/block each point of defense provides?
    or none of the above?

If I'm shooting for the 101.6%...is that strictly dodge+parry+block chance or does %chance to miss get factored into that number?

Miss will always be a factor in reaching 101.6%. It's the same macro you use to calculate the 102.4% but with a slightly lower goal. (dodge+parry+block+base miss+boss miss)

Stacking defense gems nets you higher mitigation as it suffers the less from DR in higher amounts (as far as I understand it).

SolidGnome:
    Not going to say this is something that you should do every time, but due to a slight hicup on one of our attmpts last night, I was effectively able to hold 8 adds on me with trinkets proc'd. I didn't have bubble wall up due to a positioning issue with the first set of 4 that borrowed, so it was quite...thrilling I suppose is the right word, lol. I also think this was our best attempt (15%) of the 10 we threw at Anub before moving to Uld to finish off another legendary mace.

In terms of net dps gained from a 1 add tank or 2 add tank strat, I think we actually gained about 4% higher dps when we moved to 2 add tanks (really doesn't make any damned sense as our hunters are still MD'ing and rogues are still ToTT'ing just to frontload the threat, but w/e).
    Can't have a crusade without crusader aura.

I had not considered the DPS loss from the required MDs, so that would definitely be a good reason to stick w/ only 4 at once. Perhaps a creative positioning of healers could be found to resolve the MD issue though.

But still, if a gear set has 101.6% avoidance and 4.25k-ish block value, no damage is taken. I've looked further into this and found that the gear is not yet in game for prot paladins to make this possible. It is, however, possible for warriors who get an extra 5% block from talents.

Quote Originally Posted by shetan

In terms of net dps gained from a 1 add tank or 2 add tank strat, I think we actually gained about 4% higher dps when we moved to 2 add tanks (really doesn't make any damned sense as our hunters are still MD'ing and rogues are still ToTT'ing just to frontload the threat, but w/e).
    2 offtanks greatly increases the healing Anub gains. Just some rough estimates:
    Tank will always be between 50 and 100% when the aura hits.
    Aura does 30% of health
    Tank has 50k hp
    =>The hps Anub gains will be somewhere in between 7500 and 15000, for each tank, which is about 2 damage dealers, so even if you have some of them misdirect it's a great DPS gain.

Yes it is obtainable, As several have already said for those adds you only need 101.8% due to lvl 82.

Stack any gear with SBRating, then SBV. You seem to stack all the High SBV gear instead of that which has rating.
    The reason for this is SBRating does not suffer from DR, And the more attacks Blocked, then better. Until you are passive block capped (101.8%) Gem all Defense rating, chant for agi/defense where applys.

Here is a BIS Shield block Rating set for paladins I made about a month ago.

"For ideally tanking Heroic Anub'arak adds I tried to come up with the best compilation of gear for this for paladins since I saw a Warr version in their forums but no Paladin Version. They are not much different except for tier pieces with SBR and SBV.

Paladin Shield Block Rating/Value Unhittable Set

Head- Conqueror's Aegis Faceguard
    Neck- Necklace of Unerring Mettle
    Shoulders- Conqueror's Aegis Shoulderguards
    Cape- Cloak of the Iron Council
    Chest- Unbreakable Chestguard
    Wrist- Bindings of the Hapless Prey
    Hands- Handguards of the Enclave
    Belt- Dragonslayer's Brace
    Pants- Wyrmguard Legplates
    Feet- Inexorable Sabatons
    Ring1- Signet of the Earthshaker
    Ring2- Whatever Ring has highest amount of Avoidance or STR
    Trinket1- Lavanthor's Talisman
    Trinket2- Few different Choices here depending on what your lacking
    Weapon- W/E weapon u have that is best atm
    Shield- W/E shield has highest avoidance and SBV, not many have Rating
    Libram- Libram of the Sacred Shield

If these are unavailable to you, any other lvl 80 epic with Shield block Rating or SBV could be more beneficial then typical Main Tankadin Gear (def+dodge+parry). Several pieces of this list have lower end forms from naxx25."

For more details My original Post is http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-pa...nhittable-set/

http://relentlessonslaught.enjin.com/home
    <Relentless Onslaught> Recruiting for Cataclysm Heroic Raids!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r%C3%B8/simple - Paladin

2 offtanks greatly increases the healing Anub gains. Just some rough estimates:
    Tank will always be between 50 and 100% when the aura hits.
    Aura does 30% of health
    Tank has 50k hp
    =>The hps Anub gains will be somewhere in between 7500 and 15000, for each tank, which is about 2 damage dealers, so even if you have some of them misdirect it's a great DPS gain.
    Depends on your strat, but if both your add tanks are in full block gear they won't have anywhere near 50k hp. My guild used 2 pally block tanks stacked on each other just to split the damage a bit and make it easier to pickup the adds. Fully buffed they each had less than 35k hp which isn't that much more than any other plate dps. They are being constantly healed to full but its no where near the healing Anub gets from the MT who usually has 55k or so. Both tanks did over 5k dps as well, so not sure of the benefit of swapping in another dps.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50290 is an awesome weapon, drops from Falric in heroic HoR.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50311 very accessible helm, drops from Lich King event in HoR.

The list above is solid, but http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40410 is a better choice for cloaks. It's a trash drop from Naxx-25, so probably much more difficult to get though.

Also, http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49487 for the second trinket--or http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29387 if you can spare the avoidance (which is very unlikely).