Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need pvp spec advice.

So i have just recently gotten into pvp battle grounds mainly. I already have about 1000+ res i was wondering tho what spec would be recommend for pvp disc? I saw some of the builds on arena junkies but was still a bit lost. i was thinking of running this build in battle grounds http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...l,dp8eOq,10894 good or bad?

Re: Need pvp spec advice.

It seems fine to me, the only thing is I would tell you is to get the talent Grace. I would sugest you to take 2 points out of mental agility to get grace.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

If you're going to be mainly doing BGs, then I'd prob drop Silent Resolve. If you went a crit set for BG then well idk what to say, but if you didn't then honestly Imp Renew will prob give you more mileage than Holy Spec. With low crit you can drop DA as well, and go with a 57/14 build w/ Inner Focus (which really is good when you need it) Reflective Shield (can't imagine doing anything outside 3s and 5s w/o it) and, as the poster above mentioned, Grace.

Edit: Your leftover points can go in Martyrdom, BR or Holy Spec, it really won't matter.

10+ Year Old Account

Get martyrdom, reflective shield and grace.
    Vol'jin fanboy

I found when I tried PvP disc that once you wear all the PvP gear to get the necessary resilience your crit rate is simply not high enough to worry about Divine Aegis. That may have changed because I haven't pvp'd as disc for quite some time, however I still don't think it's worth pouring all those points into the crit type talents, you just don't get enough bang for your buck so to speak.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie..._,dp8eOq,10894

I like this spec, you should play disc offensively meaning lots of dispels and throwing in holy fire and smite to help kill opponents. Blessed Recovery is a very nice dispel fodder to help protect your buffs and 6% haste is just a massive throughput talent, not to mention helping you play offensively.

The idea is to get the mooncloth 4 set, then go for haste in all the other spots in your pvp gear. Just my 2 cents but there are plenty opinions on how you should spec gear, this is just one of them.

You do realize the ONLY reason to chose discipline in PvP is Reflective Shields right? Its the only reason you are even remotely a serious contender. Its 99% of the damage you do.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...1,de8eOR,10894

This spec is more like what you would actually want for PvP.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    I found when I tried PvP disc that once you wear all the PvP gear to get the necessary resilience your crit rate is simply not high enough to worry about Divine Aegis.
    I honestly don't know what period of time you were talking about, but between relentless and furious gear you can very easily push 40% crit. Most crit rating gear has haste on it in PvE, and haste has about the same weight as resilience, so you can actually push more crit rating in PvP. You just have to make a more obvious choice in PvP between haste and critical strike rating. Considering the longest casting spell you should ever cast as a discipline priest is 1.5 seconds haste is not as important as it seems.

On a side note, if you are doing BGs, I wouldn't really even bother with resilience. Seriously, resilience is NOT going to save you from a 10v1 and in almost all other cases you are going to be surrounded by people that are smart enough to defend the healers at all cost. Discipline has enough built in survival tools that resilience is not as needed in BGs. Resilience is now and always has been an arena stat.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    You do realize the ONLY reason to chose discipline in PvP is Reflective Shields right? Its the only reason you are even remotely a serious contender. Its 99% of the damage you do.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...1,de8eOR,10894

This spec is more like what you would actually want for PvP.
    Thats pretty lol considering all the highest rated disc priests didnt pick that talent up when I was actuallying competing in PvP. I do a lot of research on whatever i'm doing, i'll admit that was some time ago and perhaps things have changed but there are a couple of reasons why it's skipped.

1. It's an uncontrolled source of damage, it can lead to breaking CC when you don't want it broken. Against other Disc Priests you just contribute to jumping their PoMs around.

2. The damage from it its extremely blase, to the point it makes no difference. You can spend those 2 talent points in just about anything and it's better than the average damage of this talent.

Now if you're just doing BGs and dont care much for arena, it's probably a nice talent to have, mostly because you end up in 1 on 1 skirmishes and it allows you to actually kill people (very slowly) over time. It is also only really useful if that 1 on 1 skirmish is a class that can't heal because if they can they will heal your damage easily. Other than that it doesn't do much but create cc issues and benefit your opponents PoM.

Reflective Shield doesn't break cc

Imp renew is mostly crappy, Reflective shields suck ass, devine agis is OP, and if you do not have silent resolve you are an idiot. What kind of priests do you guys play... ?
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Reflective Shield doesn't break cc
    Of course it does... at least it used to. Opponent casts DOT on you; opponent is then CC'd; shield absorbs DOT and reflects damage to Opponent; Opponent's CC is broken by this damage.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPower
    Imp renew is mostly crappy, Reflective shields suck ass, devine agis is OP, and if you do not have silent resolve you are an idiot. What kind of priests do you guys play... ?
    OP is asking for a BG spec, not an arena one. No one dispels in BGs, Reflective Shield is as essential as PS, divine aegis sucks w/o high crit, and Imp Renew, while not the best, is like I said still prob better than 3% Holy Crit.

I'm hoping you just missed the fact that a BG spec was being asked for...

Of course it does... at least it used to. Opponent casts DOT on you; opponent is then CC'd; shield absorbs DOT and reflects damage to Opponent; Opponent's CC is broken by this damage.
    False. Recently respecced for mage/priest for points while sitting on 2200 in 3s and Reflective Shield damage does not break Poly.

OP is asking for a BG spec, not an arena one. No one dispels in BGs
    Perhaps why people lose BGs

False. Recently respecced for mage/priest for points while sitting on 2200 in 3s and Reflective Shield damage does not break Poly.
    It does, actually. If the Priest is being melee'd with a shield up and the attacker is poly'd within the latency time between them and the priest then the shield's damage will in fact break the poly. The same applies to any other CC that breaks on damage. It's the same reason that SW can be used to cancel Poly. I lost several matches due to it and dropped it from my spec for 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    It does, actually. If the Priest is being melee'd with a shield up and the attacker is poly'd within the latency time between them and the priest then the shield's damage will in fact break the poly. The same applies to any other CC that breaks on damage. It's the same reason that SW can be used to cancel Poly. I lost several matches due to it and dropped it from my spec for 3s.
    I'll give you that one, latency screws with a lot of mechanics simply because it's latency. However:

1: I've made it pretty clear in more than one post that I'd only take Reflective Shield for BGs or 2v2

2: Reflective Shield still doesn't break cc in the normal sense as another poster above suggested, in that if you dotted the priest then was Poly'd or Blinded, the Reflective Shield damage would break you out.

I'll give you that one, latency screws with a lot of mechanics simply because it's latency. However:

1: I've made it pretty clear in more than one post that I'd only take Reflective Shield for BGs or 2v2

2: Reflective Shield still doesn't break cc in the normal sense as another poster above suggested, in that if you dotted the priest then was Poly'd or Blinded, the Reflective Shield damage would break you out.
    I said the talent breaks CC, any interpretations on how it broke CC is from you. I don't recall going into detail on how it breaks CC.

Fact is it's an uncontrolled source of damage, it can result in breaking CC and it certainly bounces PoM around. On top of that it does very poor damage, beyond doing some solo BG's it has very little use and usually causes more problems than benefits.

OP is asking for a BG spec, not an arena one. No one dispels in BGs, Reflective Shield is as essential as PS, divine aegis sucks w/o high crit, and Imp Renew, while not the best, is like I said still prob better than 3% Holy Crit.
    Shamens dispell in BG's. You want him to have a spec that every enh/ele shamen in every bg kicks his ass? And everybody does dispell in BG's I dispell in my bg's, most bg's like wsg where there are healers that do their job dispell. Mages spell steal, hey look PI YOINK, epic fial for you not having dispell resistance.

Divine aegis does not suck without high crit, even with 15% it is still good, especially if you have buffs that increase you crit which happen verry often in bg's. If you have the crit talent you will have more then 15% crit. Imp renew sucks, it is not better then the 3% crit, even if he did not have devine agis, which he should.

Reflective shields is not essential. It only works on yourself and if he is trying to solo anything as a disc priest in a bg and he needs to do damage that idea is why people loose bg's. It does negligable damage, and he is better off using his talents to live longer so that sombody can come along and kill w/e is on him. Not to mention it is a waste if your not getting hit. Play bg's however you want but do not tell sombody to get a talent that gimps his actual roll in that BG. BG's are more fun when you don't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    I said the talent breaks CC, any interpretations on how it broke CC is from you. I don't recall going into detail on how it breaks CC.

Fact is it's an uncontrolled source of damage, it can result in breaking CC and it certainly bounces PoM around. On top of that it does very poor damage, beyond doing some solo BG's it has very little use and usually causes more problems than benefits.
    So by your logic, all druids should stop buffing Thorns in PvP, and all paladins should never put up Retribution Aura. Okay then Worshaka

Shamens dispell in BG's. You want him to have a spec that every enh/ele shamen in every bg kicks his ass? And everybody does dispell in BG's I dispell in my bg's, most bg's like wsg where there are healers that do their job dispell. Mages spell steal, hey look PI YOINK, epic fial for you not having dispell resistance.

Divine aegis does not suck without high crit, even with 15% it is still good, especially if you have buffs that increase you crit which happen verry often in bg's. If you have the crit talent you will have more then 15% crit. Imp renew sucks, it is not better then the 3% crit, even if he did not have devine agis, which he should.

Reflective shields is not essential. It only works on yourself and if he is trying to solo anything as a disc priest in a bg and he needs to do damage that idea is why people loose bg's. It does negligable damage, and he is better off using his talents to live longer so that sombody can come along and kill w/e is on him. Not to mention it is a waste if your not getting hit. Play bg's however you want but do not tell sombody to get a talent that gimps his actual roll in that BG. BG's are more fun when you don't suck.
    You're overvaluing both dispel mechanics and DA here. Silent Resolve provides 30% dispel resistance, and most of the time your buffs are either gonna be removed anyways, or your opponent won't have the time to purge everything (unless it's a 1v1 situation, which you yourself in your post just poo poo'd). BG isn't like 2v2, where having the dispel miss, wasting the other player's gcd/mana, and buying you extra time is worth something. In BG, dispelling is useful sometimes but using 3 points for a minor dispel protection is pretty much never worth it. DA bubbles, at 15% crit will give you a 1.2-1.3k absorb less than every 2 Penance casts , and if you're healing in a environment such as Battlegrounds that little soap bubble isn't going to be worth anything at all, and is rather a complete waste of 3 points. It's a good talent for arenas sure, since it provides extra mitigation and longevity, but honestly even there games are almost never won because your DA absorbed a killing blow or something.

I'm not telling him to soloing everything in a BG, but the fact remains that most of the players won't be peeling you off. You can't tank the warrior beating on you forever. You can have your 1k bubble once in a blue moon and I'll take my 3k damage to the war, and we'll see who finishes the fight faster Rather than tank the dude, kill him and hey look, I'm surviving cause the warrior's dead and I'm not taking damage.

I will play BGs however I want thanks, and I'm merely giving the OP my thoughts on talents, which is what he asked. "Gimp" is entirely your perspective, which is quite ironic since you're essentially asking the priest the play as a paladin. I don't know if I can take your word on "BGs are more fun when you don't suck" either. I mean, how would you know? :P

Dispel resistance talents shine not when having one thing dispelled, but having yourself spammed with dispels. Never ran into a good Priest/Shaman? You're going to be dispelled nonstop against any decent players. I take a great deal of pleasure out of dispel spamming people without dispel resistances, especially other Disc Priests due to just the sheer number of dispellable goodies. BT, DA, PW:S, PoM, Fort, Spirit, Fear War, Shadow Resist, Grace, Renewed Hope, Inner Focus... mmm, yummy buffs down the drain. You're not talking about a 30% chance on one spell, you're talking about a 30% resist to something that will be chain cast on you constantly by good players.

Oh and in regard to Thorns and Ret Aura? Both produce higher damage than Reflective shields, both can be cast on others, neither requires spending 2 talent points on which offer no other benefit... I could go on. Reflective Shields has its uses, but it's no where close to Thorns and Ret Aura. Reflective Shield is worth around 200 DPS. Wohoo.

reflective shields for BG's is just pointless, for 2v2 its amazing, and allows you to actually solo rogues, sure its DPS isn't good, but just to put it in perspectave, if i have a 6.5k shield up, and you evic me for 7k, i take 500 dmg, you take 3k, i like those numbers