Shadow: Dot Up time

I'm not worried about dps as much as I am about up time of my dots. I cant seem to get higher then 2.8 avg. dots up no matter what I do. Ive included links to pics from recount vs training dummies.

Is it possible to get 2.9 or 3.0 dot up time? Any suggestions on keeping dots up.

My armory
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Savethetuna
    ( it's been like that for days, I really wish it would update.)

Pic Links
    http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/u...509_164616.jpg
    http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/u...509_163300.jpg

Thanks.

Re: Shadow: Dot Up time

The only concern about your DoT uptime is it's too good... that might sound strange but you've achieved 100% uptime for SW:P (and VT), to achieve 100% for SW:P it means it must have been your opening spell which is bad. SW:P should only be cast once you reach your full stacks of shadow weaving, otherwise you miss out on the shadow weaving damage modifier (read the shadow dps 101 sticky).

So other than changing your opening cast rotation to VT, MB, DP, MF, SW:P, there is nothing wrong with your DoT uptimes, they are quite good. The worry is how often you are casting MB and getting MF ticks, going by that parse you are getting MB in every 8 seconds (7 sec is theoretically possible) and MF ticks every 1.66 seconds (should be closer to 1.5 seconds).

I'm unsure if you have 2pc T9 or not... if you don't have 2pc T9 you should be using the priority MB > VT > DP > MF, if you do have 2pc T9 change it to VT > MB > DP > MF, however 2pc T9 guarantees that your MB and VT will never conflict so it's a bit of a mute point for target dummy parses, the only spells that conflict will be MB & DP.

So at the moment you don't have 2pc T9 and you are prioritising VT over MB which is causing the 1 sec delay in your average MB (probably not the only issue but certainly contributing to it). If you cast VT before MB you guarantee a VT/MB conflict every 15 seconds, so this auotmatically causes MB to be cast on average every 7.75 seconds instead of 7.0 seconds. You should aim for MB every 7.2 seconds or better which is very achievable.

Next you must be clipping your MF accidently at times and losing MF ticks. You need to pratice clipping your MF at 2 ticks and ensure that you never start a new spell until MF has completed all 3 ticks (assuming u want a full channel MF which you do most of the time). Try casting new spells well and truly into the red area of quartz, at the end of the day quartz estimates lag and if it isn't perfect casting early in the red zone will clip the 3rd tick of MF by accident.

Hopefully that will help you... i'd suggest you'd push close to 4K dps if you can achieve the numbers above.

I dont start with sw. It's vt,mb,dp,mfx3,sw.

I try and time it as best I can to not clip vt or dp, id rather let if fall then clip it. I never clip mf. Normally My timing is fine and I dont have to, also, according to shadowpriest.com its completely unnecessary and only worth 80-100 dps tops.
    Im using 3 t.95, with 90 badges, just waiting on a trophy.

Im going to try and time my mb's to see how close I am to the 7.3 sec mark. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by savethetunas
    I dont start with sw. It's vt,mb,dp,mfx3,sw.

I try and time it as best I can to not clip vt or dp, id rather let if fall then clip it. I never clip mf. Normally My timing is fine and I dont have to, also, according to shadowpriest.com its completely unnecessary and only worth 80-100 dps tops.
    Im using 3 t.95, with 90 badges, just waiting on a trophy.

Im going to try and time my mb's to see how close I am to the 7.3 sec mark. Thanks
    Your log shows you in combat for 202 seconds... 202/3 = 67 and thats exactly how many SW:P ticks you had. So if spells take 1 GCD and you did follow the above starting rotation there is 5 GCD's b4 SW:P lands which is roughly 2 ticks, so you should have had only 65 ticks of SW:P... i'm not sure how else you can explain that unless the parse has been altered or the screenshots aren't of the same parse.

You must clip MF, I don't really care what you've read on shadowpriest.com (I read those forums a bit and haven't seen that myself), not clipping MF when you have a MB or DoT refresh is a dramatic loss in DPS. You need to clip MF at 2 ticks and prioritise VT > MB > DP (assuming 2pc T9) or MB > VT > DP (if no 2pc T9)... that in itself will increase your DPS by a substantial amount.

If you're not clipping MF it means one of 2 things... you are not casting when you could fit in 2 ticks of MF which explains why your MF ticks per second is 1.66 seconds and not 1.5 seconds (which is very achievable). Or you are delaying casts, howver your DoT uptimes were very high (too high imo, the SW:P situation I explain above is rather baffling which leads me to believe you either cast it as your first spell or the parse is corrupted) so perhaps you are just delaying MB which you did on this occasion because it was only cast once every 8 seconds.

In a parse with a near perfect rotation you will see SW:P up only 97% of the time (due to it being cast so late in the opening sequence of spells), VT will usually get 1 more tick than SW:P and DP will be 1 or 2 ticks below SW:P (due to MB/DP conflicts). MB will be cast every 7.2 seconds or quicker and you will get a MF tick every 1.5 seconds or quicker. I have found that having a personal haste % of 17-18% allows you to clip MF at 2 ticks a lot easier and have done my personal best 4.7K self buffed DPS with that figure. When I drop to 15% or so (to gain more SP) I do worse because it's a lot harder to clip MF at 2 ticks and thus get about 4.4K (which is a MF tick every 1.55 seconds and not 1.45 which I am able to do).

I can post screen shots of that if necessary but i've done so twice already on these forums.

wow man thanks a lot. Really helpful. Ill go do some more testing and get back to you with new numbers

So, clipping mf at 2 ticks when mb/mb were ready took me to 4400 peak during one session without using fiend.