Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Paladin Healing: Spam HL for PvE?

Hey guys, I've been a Holy Paladin since BC and enjoyed it quite alot. I have always seen people stacking Intel rediculously and I would always think to myself, "wow, look at this moron, he must have some pretty low heals with no SP gems." However, after reading up on some guides, it's proven that spamming HL when you have a huge amount of intel is the way to go.

Now I know this is the best way to gem, but spamming one button is not my type of play style. Although I agree that it's the best, I just don't find it quite as enjoyable than being more versatile in my healing abilities. Furthermore, I don't even think it was Blizzard's intention for Holy Paladins to just spam HL, given all the 2-4 set bonuses and talents that "encourage" other spells.

So my question to you guys is am I alone here? Am I the only one who feels kind of ashamed that I spam one button throughout every raid encounter? (Aside from other healing enhancing abilities such as trinkets, DI, DF, etc.)

Re: Holy Paladin Healing: Spam HL for PvE?

Yes, you are alone.

I use all 3 heals quite a bit. Granted there fights where I will use more of one over another, but for the most part I use FoL quite a bit still.

yup, i feel bad about keeping 2 tanks alive and topping the healing charts while doing it. man it sucks.

Tank damage is huge and we have no HoTs to speak of, so FoL isn't enough to cut the mustard on tough fights.

Spamming HL for the longest possible time is the goal, sadly. You'll still use FoL and some Holy Shock, but on tank-healing-intensive fights where you're assigned to two tanks, it's HL til you can't HL no moah.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob002
    Yes, you are alone.

I use all 3 heals quite a bit. Granted there fights where I will use more of one over another, but for the most part I use FoL quite a bit still.
    Lol, now try raiding with that.

Its not one button spam. You keep up ss and beacon and jotp, then you spam holy light when tank damage is heavy. when topping off raid or light tank damage you fol and when you have to move or save someones ass you shock.

And the new set bonus's promote holy light just as much as fol. 2p lets you plea more during heavy damage and 4p lets you cast a faster holy light after you had to move. By playing fol "style" you are hurting your raid or making them bring an extra healer, or making extra heals watch the tank.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

I find myself using Holy Shock on just about every cooldown, and when I know the tank isn't going to be taking any hectic damage, I'll just toss FoLs around until things get hairy. I never let Beacon or Sacred Shield drop either.

Even using all my other spells, I still find myself having plenty of mana to HL spam when it's needed.

So... to answer your question: Yes, spam Holy Light, but also know when its safe to throw out smaller heals that'll still top people off.

Also if you really "spam" holy light you will oom very quickly it will cost you about 400 mana per second even after you gain replen and illumination and such.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk
    Also if you really "spam" holy light you will oom very quickly it will cost you about 400 mana per second even after you gain replen and illumination and such.
    -_- You know what I mean.

lol i had figured that with ICC holy light spam would be less needed but i've found that i'm hitting holy light far more than in other raids. spam is just a name thrown at it, and all it really means is that this is the spell we use most. So happy spamming!!

Ty thoreaxe, that's what i meant and the ICC patch is what made me convert to the HL "spam" (the use-alot button)

I heal ICC with only judgement of light.
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

This questions haunts paladin forum since wotlk started.

Pretty much what has been said. HL spam a lot, but use logic while healing. Always think, what is the encounter like and what would be best fo raid to use. Logic sense is really really imoportant here. And fast reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by trixia
    Lol, now try raiding with that.
    The person you quoted is generally bang on, HL isn't always required, through the average playtime (unless you only do Hard Modes and then log out for the week) you'll probably end up using FoL and HS more than HL. HL spamming isn't required in alot of non-HM stuff, but gemming/enchanting for HL doesn't hurt FoL or HS as much as you might think, so using them is still viable.

Quote Originally Posted by danoob
    I heal ICC with only judgement of light.
    Lmao iknorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi
    The person you quoted is generally bang on, HL isn't always required, through the average playtime (unless you only do Hard Modes and then log out for the week) you'll probably end up using FoL and HS more than HL. HL spamming isn't required in alot of non-HM stuff, but gemming/enchanting for HL doesn't hurt FoL or HS as much as you might think, so using them is still viable.
    Yea, when I gemmed for HL, I expected a decrease in Fol and HS healing, but I hardly noticed a change. What I meant in the referenced quote was that if you're using FoL more than HL, you're a waste of a healer in 90% of raid fights.

ya ICC supports a flash heal spam much more than any other content. With that said, i mix my heals.

Gem pure int
    one int trink, one sp trink
    35k buffed mana
    3.1k buffed sp
    805 haste

If your going to mix heals, spam the flash but gear properly. Also always keep holy light reduce cast time buff up, so every 10 sec or so even if its not needed use a holy light.

Also pick up relentless libram and the extra 400+ sp on the flashes makes it easy street.

Haste is another thing. I love it, but all the shit i get has NO HASTE!!! I have so much Mp5 that everytime I use HL I GET mana back (exageration, butchered the spelling, i know). One of the Holy Paladins in my former guild stacked haste until his FoL was under 1 second, and that was always what i aimed for, but there is very few gear that gives me haste, and I'm definately not gemming for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dazline
    ya ICC supports a flash heal spam much more than any other content. With that said, i mix my heals.

Gem pure int
    one int trink, one sp trink
    35k buffed mana
    31k buffed sp
    805 haste

If your going to mix heals, spam the flash but gear properly. Also always keep holy light reduce cast time buff up, so every 10 sec or so even if its not needed use a holy light.

Also pick up relentless libram and the extra 400+ sp on the flashes makes it easy street.
    duuuude

3.1k sp is quite normal for buffed... lol think about all the stuff you got (especially Totem of Wrath)