Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Healing Halls of Reflection as Holy

Need a decurse and or shackle for Rifleman.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

It can either be total heal or an easy run from what ive seen and from what some healers have told me.

Have your party LoS waves inside the little alcove behind Falric/Marwyn and make sure your tank is the only one stnading out. It can help to have a priest shackle a hunter or a mage if there are no hunters in that specific wave. Overall the hardest part is probably having the tank making sure all those mobs stay on him.
    "Your country is like an old maid servant; accustomed to being raped by everyone." - Napoleon

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've since done it with another group with much fewer problems.

I think the problem was the ret pally getting aggro, people standing in flamestrike and general idiocy in the group.

And to respond to Worshaka, I know you don't have all the facts available, I was looking for other people's experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    I've been saying for quite sometime that holy is a more difficult spec to play than Disc and I think this is what you have just experienced. It's hard to say what you may have been doing wrong without physically studying death logs etc. I don't know if the ret pally was removing the stacking poison (that certainly starts to hurt).
    I been a healing priest for four and a half years, and until I tried Disc out midway the Uld, I'd always been Holy.
    I'm almost certain the pally wasn't removing the poison (seems to me that DPS just do DPS these days and cba with any raid support).

My guess is you weren't chain casting enough, perhaps using CoH too much and not utilising hasted Gheals when it made sense to. Not sure if you were utilising renew to it's potential but this spell gets benched too much by holy priests. Not sure if you're selecting smart PoM targets and keeping track of who has pom and how many charges are left when deciding whether to recast it. Not sure if you're selecting good CoH targets, personally I try to stand in positions where I can target myself and know it will hit who i want it to.
    I do all of the above. CoH isn't the spam button it used to be, I'm well aware of that.

In addition if your gear is itemised and gem'd for disc it's hardly going to make a good holy set. That too could have made your job a lot harder because part of the holy spec is managing your mana. I think too many holy priests have got their regen to the god level and will therefore refute this claim, however if they realised their never going oom isn't helpign their throughput they would have gemmed more appropriately and should still be on a threshold of wanting to manage their mana.
    This was my thought, but OOMing wasn't the problem. I was thinking maybe haste was the issue as I'm only at about 600.

Other than that you'll never get anyone to tell you exactly whats wrong, healing isn't a linear role like DPS, you need far more information to make a proper judgement call, everything above is based on an educated guess.
    I completely appreciate that, and thank you all for your comments.

15+ Year Old Account

Shackle = one less mob.

As said, can fear every CD on the Hunter, our groups generally nuke Priest > Mage > Rogue. Personally never had a single issue.. I started these as Holy but figured I could be a tad more aggresive and help DPS if I went Disc. Only 10 man gear except a trinket.

The first time I did this fight (holy), I was blessed by partying with some really top-geared and top-skilled people in my guild. Full T9 the lot of us, and... it was actually hard. I think even our DPSers were complaining about the skill needed to survive the place.

Personally, I had to spam PoH quite a lot, use ProM and GS liberally, and CoH as well. It was still VERY gung-ho, and mana got to be a major problem due to the amount of PoH/GHeal spam. Luckily we had a druid innervating me. I have done it since without innervates (manapots ftw!), but - halls of Reflection is not trivial. Most pugs I've been in at that place have failed badly.

Our tank asked me later how the hell I could heal that place. She tried on her restoshaman, and failed badly to heal it. To be honest, it's a question of gear and a good tank. If your tank cannot keep aggro, you will wipe. Shackle does help, but honestly - I dont think I can spare the GCD. The mobs hit just as hard as they would in a raid, and the tank is in constant danger of dying. There is debuffs to remove, and some of them are traps. If the tank can't do his job, you can't do yours. Its as simple as that.

A common trick is the doorway strategy. Have everyone run into one of the side rooms, out of LOS. This makes the tank's job a LOT easier. Spam PoH, ProM, CoH and keep dispelling. I have overaggroed from healing while keeping everyone alive, this is the tanks fault. I have had dpsers overaggroing - if they do they will die (GS will bug here!), and this is their own fault.

Ultimately: use big heals, trust your tank, and don't enter unprepared. It's the hardest 5-man in the game, but in my opinion, this is putting the meaning of heroic back into heroics. I'd like to see more of this, and less of Violet Hold yawn-inducing "heroicmodes".

--

As for the gauntlet, it too is a massive gearcheck. If your DPSers suck, you will not succeed. If your tank is undergeared, he will die before you can land your heals. If your healer is undergeared, you will run OOM before the end. Honestly, I'd recommend against PUG'ing that place at all.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

ive healed it both as disc and as holy. the experience is pretty much the same, but holy goes through mana slightly faster in the case of bad tanks. You can make good use of guardian spirit when tank gets focused, while pain suppression isnt quite as useful.

If you have means of regaining mana better (druid around) i would definitely go holy. PoM does a good job here, and the bonus coefficient from holy makes a difference

I agree it has to be your tank. My first time in here i found all 3 instances faceroll, but fun. Second time in was with a pug, and the tank could not handle the adds, we wiped multiple times until he found a way to make it work.

It's not the tank, the healer or the DPS, everything counts in heroic HoR. I wouldn't random pug the place personally since it can be really frustrating though I am glad at least there is one heroic instance that there is serious risk of wiping if people don't focus on.

If you go to HoR with the general Wotlk mentality of lolAoE kill em all, /yawn, half brain sleeping, watching telly at the same time mentality you will fail, miserably. For once I am glad interrupts matter, stuns matter, disarms matter, control matters and focus fire matters.

Personally since I am a rogue the first thing I do in HoR is TotT the tank and solo kill mages or priests utilizing the rogue's arsenal of great control tools (kick, kidney shot, gouge) after that I aid on the riffleman or the less dangerous melee mobs. From my experience leaving a mage or priest free to cast/heal in HoR is not a good idea.

If you want to make it more easy mode in HoR take a paladin and a priest, shackle and turn evil means two mobs out of your way.

Quote Originally Posted by arbuzno
    Didnt use any LoS issues in HoR (its for pussies), what i did is fear every cd (and if your party doesnt like it, ignore them) POM, flash heal renew. Healing strategy is nothing special, is about how fast you click your buttons tho.
    You feared.... Every CD? On UD mobs? o.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann
    They thought for some reason I would be as viable for tanking as a soggy piece of toast, while a paladin or warrior would be an incredible fortress with cannons specially designed to hold threat.

15+ Year Old Account

Just heal it as Disc then if you can't play Holy, Disc is very easy for 5 mans, shield all, Penance tank, Prayer of Healing with many many Prayers of Mending. Done.

From the pure fact that you couldn't do it then the Ret Paladin stepped in and did it, either means you do better controlled DPS (watch your agro) than him, he doesn't dispel poisons while DPSing (I do on my Ret) or you shackle while being Shadow but not while Holy.

To conclude, Borrow Time Shackles, FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexio
    I've been Disc for the past year or so, healing my guild in raids with no problems (we're a very small guild with 13 members that does 10 mans), so I'm mostly 232 geared (couple of 29 pieces).

With 3.3, I thought I'd try Holy for an easy life in all these random heroics. It turns out that HoR Hc last night was simply impossible for me to heal. Too many people taking too much damage for me to keep up (we wiped 5 or 6 times on the first pair of bosses, before we even got to the bosses sometimes). I was rolling PoM, CoH, PoH and GH/Renew on the tank, but I couldn't keep everyone up.
    It depends on them, not on you.

The tank will get a curse and multiple stacks of poison.

If noone in your party dispell those (protadin tanking can cure both, or a mage, a druid) he's gonna die.

If those debuffs are dispelled the tank is kept up easily and you can focus on dps'ers taking damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexio
    I've been Disc for the past year or so, healing my guild in raids with no problems (we're a very small guild with 13 members that does 10 mans), so I'm mostly 232 geared (couple of 29 pieces).

With 3.3, I thought I'd try Holy for an easy life in all these random heroics. It turns out that HoR Hc last night was simply impossible for me to heal. Too many people taking too much damage for me to keep up (we wiped 5 or 6 times on the first pair of bosses, before we even got to the bosses sometimes). I was rolling PoM, CoH, PoH and GH/Renew on the tank, but I couldn't keep everyone up.

Then (and this is probably the most annoying part), the Ret pally suggested we switch roles, so healed and I dps'ed and we did the boss first time. We then switched back and I failed on the gauntlet part.

What should I be doing as Holy to combat all this party damage? I fear that if I went back to Disc it'd be even worse.
    it is 10x easier as disc. The damage the group takes is large chunks that dont happen very often unless there are morons and stand in place with aggro from one of the ranged mobs.

Halls is not something I would pug often if I were you. Do it with guildies who can be trusted as competent players.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by {_Izenhart_}
    The tank will get a curse and multiple stacks of poison.

If noone in your party dispell those (protadin tanking can cure both, or a mage, a druid) he's gonna die.
    Since when can Paladins dispell curses?
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!