Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Healing Halls of Reflection as Holy

I've been Disc for the past year or so, healing my guild in raids with no problems (we're a very small guild with 13 members that does 10 mans), so I'm mostly 232 geared (couple of 29 pieces).

With 3.3, I thought I'd try Holy for an easy life in all these random heroics. It turns out that HoR Hc last night was simply impossible for me to heal. Too many people taking too much damage for me to keep up (we wiped 5 or 6 times on the first pair of bosses, before we even got to the bosses sometimes). I was rolling PoM, CoH, PoH and GH/Renew on the tank, but I couldn't keep everyone up.

Then (and this is probably the most annoying part), the Ret pally suggested we switch roles, so healed and I dps'ed and we did the boss first time. We then switched back and I failed on the gauntlet part.

What should I be doing as Holy to combat all this party damage? I fear that if I went back to Disc it'd be even worse.

Re: Healing Halls of Reflection as Holy

I would say it's not your fault, bitch tank to get aggro faster / dpsers to wait for tank I shackled hunter to help tank

Also, you can try to tell party to stay in the corridor to entrance so mobs will have to get around corner, making them easy target for tank

Have your group alternating sides of the fountain, just so you can LoS the incoming damage enough to pull them in for your tank. Been doing this since my first run and surprised that people have problems with it.

Edit: as far as the gauntlet goes, your dps can't stand infront of your tank, and no one can stand on falling ice. Other than that, I never really considered that a challenge.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

tell DPS to give the tank a break and u shud be fine. its just a hard heroic to do, for sure. theres no group damage in the first part except for the shadowstep (barely any damage) the flamestrike (somewhat anoying) and the hunter sometimes shooting a random target (again..doesnt matter) the ofc the bosses cause some group damage but that aint impossible.

10+ Year Old Account

I agree, if you are LoSing the waves, the tank should be the only one taking significant damage. If dps are taking lots of damage, it's because someone's not doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudnik
    I would say it's not your fault, bitch tank to get aggro faster / dpsers to wait for tank I shackled hunter to help tank

Also, you can try to tell party to stay in the corridor to entrance so mobs will have to get around corner, making them easy target for tank
    Ive healed that as holy pally, and there is not that much party damage happening as you make it sound, so i agree it could be a tank problem. I may have had to heal a dps a couple of times, but thats only because he didnt let tank get aggro first. That boss is a good lesson in mana conservation, not party healing.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by KhameleonN
    I agree, if you are LoSing the waves, the tank should be the only one taking significant damage. If dps are taking lots of damage, it's because someone's not doing their job.
    This. Take note though that the flame strikes deal alot of damage as well.

Make sure that the dps is interrupting them
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

I like to have a Pally tank whenever I do the instance so he can fear one of the mobs as well as my shackle...makes my job that much easier. Generally you wanna kill those damn mercs over everything...oh and I do this as a off spec disc priest...its not so bad.

I think the problem is people don't realize you should focus the Mercenary (Rogues) down first. (What Tolar said) They have a nasty debuff for the healers to heal through.

I generally go Mercenary > Priest > Mage > Rifleman

Try it out. Works for us everytime.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Alexio
    I've been Disc for the past year or so, healing my guild in raids with no problems (we're a very small guild with 13 members that does 10 mans), so I'm mostly 232 geared (couple of 29 pieces).

With 3.3, I thought I'd try Holy for an easy life in all these random heroics. It turns out that HoR Hc last night was simply impossible for me to heal. Too many people taking too much damage for me to keep up (we wiped 5 or 6 times on the first pair of bosses, before we even got to the bosses sometimes). I was rolling PoM, CoH, PoH and GH/Renew on the tank, but I couldn't keep everyone up.

Then (and this is probably the most annoying part), the Ret pally suggested we switch roles, so healed and I dps'ed and we did the boss first time. We then switched back and I failed on the gauntlet part.

What should I be doing as Holy to combat all this party damage? I fear that if I went back to Disc it'd be even worse.

It was an pain in the a$$ to heal as holy pala but you can do a thing to make it piss easy but i'm to lazy to write it here

Quote Originally Posted by alteam

It was an pain in the a$$ to heal as holy pala but you can do a thing to make it piss easy but i'm to lazy to write it here
    There isn't a damn thing in this game that is a pain in the ass to heal as a holy paladin. Beacon of Light is overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Edit: as far as the gauntlet goes, your dps can't stand infront of your tank, and no one can stand on falling ice. Other than that, I never really considered that a challenge.
    Lol...wrong instance buddy - that''s PoS. HoR gauntlet is running away from the LK.

PS. To the OP: Really good, geared Holy Pallies can heal HoR but I'd much rather have a Shaman, Druid or Priest. Sorry but I prefer a steady stream of incoming damage/healing over the nearly dead>full health>nearly dead>full health>nearly dead healing that is a Paladin. A stun, silence or CC at the wrong time and you've got a dead party member. Shamans are pro at that fight. ES keeps the tank topped off while the Shaman is unable to heal and chain heal takes care of the group bunched up in a corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Didnt use any LoS issues in HoR (its for pussies), what i did is fear every cd (and if your party doesnt like it, ignore them) POM, flash heal renew. Healing strategy is nothing special, is about how fast you click your buttons tho.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by smeedsc
    easy way. btw i"m disc/holy in an endgame raiding guild

both work fine.

there is a cubby aroudn the wall that everything can be tanked and LOS'ed in. suddenly your job gets easy. as long as dispells are going off, and pom is bouncing around NP

I personally heal five mans as disc. always. bubbles on everyone, penance more than not goes to a dps in trouble than the tank and pom bouncing...

and in this particualr heroic. HOLY NOVA while everyone is piled up. especially glyphed its an amazing heal. I healed H 25 twins the other night with four priests a shammy and pally *two of the priests were fillins and not main raiders" as our druids were off and meh its now a back raid for us.
    guess what heal pushed me well over 10k hps without loosing anyone in my party, and did over 300k damage. yup glyphed Holy nova.

anyway good luck and try the strat. an alternative to the cubby hole is just tank em in the doorway and try to LOS there. everything i've heard about people doing it in the middle of the room ends badly.
    I did it as Disc mainspecc in the middle of the room with a paly tank and i actually had no problem what so ever healing them. It was also my first time there and didnt rly know what to expect. It was fairly easy. (I'm am in a strict 10man guild with strict 10m gear)

Edit: no cc was beeing used

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus
    Lol...wrong instance buddy - that''s PoS. HoR gauntlet is running away from the LK.
    My bad. I just know them as "The new instances zomg!" and haven't officially attached names and abbreviations to convoluted memories just yet. Working on it though. At least my LoS advice still stands. As far as the gauntlet, Body & Soul your slow people to get "ahead" of the tank? All that I can think of.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

My mainspec is boomkin but I usually tank random heroics just because it's easier to get into as tank. My tank offspec gear is a mix off Ulduar 25 + some ToC gear. I always tank this first room without any LoS'ing or any CC. Reducing dmg taken all comes down to your tank being good at picking up everything.

Maybe Disc is better for this fight. I can imagine keeping preemptive shields on your dps just in case is better than having to heal up everyone with PoH.

I dinged my priest few days ago and immediately jumped into the new heroics just to try them out with my gear being 2-3 epics from ToC h/n and crafted weapons, rest was frostsavage. The funny part is I tried to do HoR twice with the first one being a success cause the tank had some decend gear but more importantly a BRAIN unlike the 2nd one who had around 50k hp but coudn't get the mobs fast enough which resulted into too many ppl taking damage and me ooming before the bosses. I think that in Halls the tank has the most important and confusing job, don't get frustrated like other ppl said it's prolly the tank and dps.
    Sowy for the CHINGLISH.

No matter what dps is gonna take damage. You can pray for an imba tank that maybe will come once in 25 runs you do, or you can cc mobs 8 sec out of 30 with fear, put renew on all 5 party members, use your heals wisely and carry the heroic yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexio

From what little info you have provided I don't think it was a tank problem or people taking too much damage problem, you said that the pally healed it fine first go, so that says to me that it's more likely it's a you problem (keep in mind that I have to make an educated guess).

I've been saying for quite sometime that holy is a more difficult spec to play than Disc and I think this is what you have just experienced. It's hard to say what you may have been doing wrong without physically studying death logs etc. I don't know if the ret pally was removing the stacking poison (that certainly starts to hurt).

My guess is you weren't chain casting enough, perhaps using CoH too much and not utilising hasted Gheals when it made sense to. Not sure if you were utilising renew to it's potential but this spell gets benched too much by holy priests. Not sure if you're selecting smart PoM targets and keeping track of who has pom and how many charges are left when deciding whether to recast it. Not sure if you're selecting good CoH targets, personally I try to stand in positions where I can target myself and know it will hit who i want it to.

In addition if your gear is itemised and gem'd for disc it's hardly going to make a good holy set. That too could have made your job a lot harder because part of the holy spec is managing your mana. I think too many holy priests have got their regen to the god level and will therefore refute this claim, however if they realised their never going oom isn't helpign their throughput they would have gemmed more appropriately and should still be on a threshold of wanting to manage their mana.

Other than that you'll never get anyone to tell you exactly whats wrong, healing isn't a linear role like DPS, you need far more information to make a proper judgement call, everything above is based on an educated guess.

Not your fault. If there is too much group damage for a holy priest with decent gear, everybody else is completely screwed.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis