Warlock AoE - which spell to choose?

Long story short: I've been trying out all 3 warlock specs, most recently demonology, and I'm just wondering what the best method of AoE'img is? And at how many mobs should I start AoE'ing?

So dear kind MMO-champion users, enlighten me please.

Destruction: Rain of Fire spam is what I've been doing.

Affliction: I've thought that Seed of Corruption is the way to go, but I'm not quite sure.

Demonology: Again, I've been spamming SoCorr but I'm not sure at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoX
    trust me druin=PWN is ptw durid not durin but np its no sorry 8) .but is good ask if you can no know so yeah good to you but ask if you no know 8) but trust me i have playin long so DRUID IS BEST=3 form beat all i mean explmame=stealh cat like rogue(pwn9 8) then BOOM big bear big heelth so its moar armor than cat and then just tree?=no tree god like cenarius but give you more heelth=pwn then you go owl and stars do magic to you 8)

Re: Warlock AoE - which spell to choose?

Well... I've no idea if this is an intended change but SoC now seems to also hit the target you cast it on, and with the aoe damage cap in 3.3 it seem's like the hardest hitting AOE.

Havn't it allways been doing that?
    Quote Originally Posted by HoX
    trust me druin=PWN is ptw durid not durin but np its no sorry 8) .but is good ask if you can no know so yeah good to you but ask if you no know 8) but trust me i have playin long so DRUID IS BEST=3 form beat all i mean explmame=stealh cat like rogue(pwn9 8) then BOOM big bear big heelth so its moar armor than cat and then just tree?=no tree god like cenarius but give you more heelth=pwn then you go owl and stars do magic to you 8)

Deleted

SoCorr. Even in destro it hits harder than RoF for me.

And it does hit the mob it's on now (it didn't before, which was helpfull if one mob was starting to look at you funny), don't know if thata's a bug or and undocumented buff.

As to the number of adds, when destro I seem to break even at 4 adds, as long as one of them dies quickly (thinking melee whacking on one harder than the others). Less than that just focus fire one, but switch before it dies, let incidental aoe finish it off so you don't overkill it.

Aflli hits alot harder in AoE, so go with 3. Although in, say, a situation with a boss and adds with big HP pools, talk with your raid leader about not switching to adds completely (thinking something like Gormok here). Keep those DoTs up on as many targets as you can as they will be alive long enough for DoTs to be effective and more Corruption means more Eradication and Nightfall, boosting you single target DPS too. Make sure your raid leader knows that not every caster is suitable for all adds. Just remember not to Seed in this situation as you will remove Corruption. Adds with small HP pools aren't usually worth your attention as you'd be lucky to get one Shadow Bolt off.

Quote Originally Posted by p75369
    SoCorr. Even in destro it hits harder than RoF for me.
    Are you sure, that you put 5/5 in Emberstorm, when you are destro? :
    RoF hits quite a lot harder than seed of corruption, when im destruction.

Pretty much in every spec you can start with throwing 2-3 SoC while the tank is pulling the mobs and continue with RoF.

As demo (meta) you can do insane amounts of AoE by just running to the group, popping meta with immolation aura and just RoF, this however has a high chance of instagibbing youtself so be careful, can easily do 20k+ AoE dps this way, downside is that has a cooldown.

my soc crits for 6-7k now. i dont think that rof comes close even if destro specced.
    you always had to make a decision which aoe to use, depending on the number of mobs - but this is gone, now that soc hits the primary target as well.

soc is the aoe of choice - in every case.

15+ Year Old Account

Hellfire's the way to go.

I always SoC of the pacs are going to live to get all the tics and RoF in case it's a smaller pack.
    However my best combo is SoC all of them then RoF to finish them off or set the seeds off
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Hi i am any class in the game. To beat me spam icelance and then talk about how skilled you are when the 20k crits roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by Skivoh
    I always SoC of the pacs are going to live to get all the tics and RoF in case it's a smaller pack.
    However my best combo is SoC all of them then RoF to finish them off or set the seeds off
    number of mobs doesnt matter anymore. you hit all of them - even the primary target

you choose the let the hybrids do it since they do it better spell.

mind sear and pestil+dnd ftw.

I havent raided demo in a while but pretty sure RoF is the way to go
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

MORE DOTS!

In related news, ROF beats SoC. Especially considering how fast aoe trash dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma6987

IT WAS UP HILL BOTH WAYS IN FREEZING FROST SHOCKS AND VIOLENT 2HAND WINDFURY CRITS WHILE BEING REPEATEDLY AMBUSHED, BACKSTABBED, AND SAPPED THE WHOLE WAY! AND WE DIDN'T COMPLAIN! ([size=6pt]we did.[/size]) WE LIKED IT!

as a demonology warlock, i used to pop meta, immolation aura, shadowflame n then just rain of fire.

sf is a bit of damage at a cost of a single gcd. if you're in melee range, it worths.

that's agromorphosis combo, so you should be ready to soulshatter.,-

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Anguish
    MORE DOTS!

In related news, ROF beats SoC. Especially considering how fast aoe trash dies.
    Especially then, yes. But if you take a look at the trash before Lord Marrowgar, in ICC(25). I pulled 21k DPS for 2 times in a fight that took about 1-2minits.

So conclusion for me; If you are on low hp trash / something which just goes off fast, RoF
    If you are on higher hp, SoC teh hell out of it (:

15+ Year Old Account

Affliction: Seed, unless mana is an issue
    Demonology: Rain of Fire + Immolation Aura OR Seed of Corruption from ranged, unless mana is an issue
    Destruction: Rain of Fire

Also, tab-targetting UA then casting Seed is also good dps.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by paul2k9
    Well... I've no idea if this is an intended change but SoC now seems to also hit the target you cast it on, and with the aoe damage cap in 3.3 it seem's like the hardest hitting AOE.
    it's an intended change (undocumented in the patch notes though)

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_3.3.0_%...ted_changes%29

15+ Year Old Account

Yes, it is the hardest hitting and yes, it does hit all the targets now.

But the question you have to ask is if the mana cost is worth the dps. Most of the time it is, but you should always think about it. Anub25 Hardmode would be an example of Rain of Fire being the better AOE.

R.I.P. YARG