Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Opinions on this shadow spec

So for quite some time now I've really been wanting Improved Vampiric Embrace back in my talent tree especially now that 2 of my most powerful dots tick faster, which works very well with VE. I've tried taking points out of several key talents, like Shadow Reach and Mind Blast, but I've come face to face with the realization that I may just need to drop Improved Spirit Tap. I know other Shadow Priests have done this, but I've always been afraid of taking the leap because of my irrational fear of running out of mana too early.

I'd like your opinions on the spec listed below, especially from those who don't have Improved Spirit tap. Do you find yourself running low on mana quicker? Are long fights a pain in the butt as far as mana goes?

Thanks alot!

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12323152301351

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Re: Opinions on this shadow spec

No. Spirit Tap, without Improved, is useless on the majority of boss fights. You can't guarantee that you get the killing blow on anything.

Mana is a strain, and you should be keeping it higher. IST procs off of your Mind Blast, and your Mind Flay. It's an extremely large mana increase, as well as a moderate Spellpower proc (mileage varying by gear).

Focused Mind is less mana, with no damage increase. Drop your points from that.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Regular spirit tap is worthless without improved spirit tap.

Two points in improved spirit tap give more mana regen than two points in focused mind does.

Improved spirit tap is a Damage boost as well.

at 0/3 focused mind I never go oom.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

get 600-800 haste and drop Improved Mind Blast instead.

http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopi...=24328&start=0

i'm gonna try IVE and SA see how that works out shortly.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit
    get 600-800 haste and drop Improved Mind Blast instead.

http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopi...=24328&start=0

i'm gonna try IVE and SA see how that works out shortly.
    Do not drop Imp MB....

The time to drop ST/IST was before 3.2, now with spirit converting to SP at a higher rate and our mana consumption ramped up by haste affecting VT & DP you have to have IST.

This is all the base talents you should take, there is 1 point left over for 1/3 Focused Mind, Inner Focus or anything else you want.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Do not drop Imp MB....

The time to drop ST/IST was before 3.2, now with spirit converting to SP at a higher rate and our mana consumption ramped up by haste affecting VT & DP you have to have IST.

This is all the base talents you should take, there is 1 point left over for 1/3 Focused Mind, Inner Focus or anything else you want.
    Um the link provided doesn't have IST taken and there isn't one point left over. ??? Myself personally I took 2 points out of Imp. Shadowform and put them in Imp. Vampiric Embrace.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Personally I'd drop 2 from Veiled Shadows and stick it in IST, which is very close to what I'm running now although i only have 1 point in Imp VE and used the other for Inner Focus as a small DPS boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra
    Myself personally I took 2 points out of Imp. Shadowform and put them in Imp. Vampiric Embrace.
    That's just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol
    Personally I'd drop 2 from Veiled Shadows and stick it in IST, which is very close to what I'm running now although i only have 1 point in Imp VE and used the other for Inner Focus as a small DPS boost.
    Congratulations on your extra 2 dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol
    One point in veiled shadows is better mana and better dps boost than one point in inner focus would give, keep the points there. If you need to drop points from anywhere drop them from focused mind it gives the least mana per talent point of any of our efficiency/regen talents.

Quote Originally Posted by daenerys
    One point in veiled shadows is better mana and better dps boost than one point in inner focus would give, keep the points there. If you need to drop points from anywhere drop them from focused mind it gives the least mana per talent point of any of our efficiency/regen talents.
    Agreed, go 1/3 Focused Mind if you want improved VE.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra
    Um the link provided doesn't have IST taken and there isn't one point left over. ??? Myself personally I took 2 points out of Imp. Shadowform and put them in Imp. Vampiric Embrace.
    my bad, this should work

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12023152301351

effectively the OPs spec with 3/3 focused mind removed for 2 points in IST adn 1 point left over for whatever u like

Do not drop Imp MB....
    why not ?
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

why not ?
    You still want to MB on every CD? Plus what else do you put those points in?

Thanks for the input! I think I might stick with
    my current spec. After really testing the difference between talented distances, it really is very small. Most bosses have massive hit boxes anyways.

-posted from my Ipod touch (I lov
    e this thing!)

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

my bad, this should work

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12023152301351

effectively the OPs spec with 3/3 focused mind removed for 2 points in IST adn 1 point left over for whatever u like
    It's your standard cookie cutter spec for a reason, it's what you'll see all the top shadow priests speccing.

why not ?
    MB is still our highest DPS spell (don't confuse DPS with DPE), it's not until stupid amounts of haste that MF can overtake MB... so you need to cast MB as often as possible, delaying the spell by 2.5 seconds is just ultimate fail.

Hmm I've always taken Imp VE instead of Imp SF, maybe I don't do enough fights with aoe to fully appreciate the reduced strain on channelling? :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Samm3h
    Hmm I've always taken Imp VE instead of Imp SF, maybe I don't do enough fights with aoe to fully appreciate the reduced strain on channelling? :-\
    imp sf gives you a higher dps ceiling

thing with spriests is that you either spec for the most possible dps (more points than dps talents)

or you don't

why not ?
    if you could spam any spell, you'd spam MB, that's why

longer CD means less dps

the reason people recommended 4/5 imp mb was because with lower haste you'd end up having to clip MF after 1 tick (if swd was on cd) or you'd have to leave MB off CD a split second longer, either way, dps loss

now, with 400+ haste, you can work it in fine and it's a dps loss NOT to

Quote Originally Posted by greysin
    if you could spam any spell, you'd spam MB, that's why

longer CD means less dps

the reason people recommended 4/5 imp mb was because with lower haste you'd end up having to clip MF after 1 tick (if swd was on cd) or you'd have to leave MB off CD a split second longer, either way, dps loss

now, with 400+ haste, you can work it in fine and it's a dps loss NOT to
    There is a point where MF > MB at very high amounts of haste, maybe with 4pc T10 you might get close... i haven't done the numbers yet.