Thread: Which weapon?

Which weapon?

Have a quick question - which weapon is better for a Ret, the Orca-Hunter's Harpoon or Tyrannical Beheader.

I do a mix of PvP and PvE.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50296

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50267#comments

Only have enough gold to put berserker on one of them. Leaning toward the axe, but also like the 3.6% crit the harpoon has. Please let me know which you would pick and why.

Re: Which weapon?

axe without a doubt

15+ Year Old Account

That.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50267

Two answers to your question.

PvP - Crit tends to be lackluster when it comes to downing things as ret. Resilience double-dips in crit damage reduction and as such you're better off with a weapon hitting harder. Beheader happens to have 45 more stamina, too.

PvE - Do you neet hit? If you do (say, more than 70-85% of the 84 hit rating on Orca), take Orca. Otherwise, take the axe. However, seeing as you wanna PvP with the same weapon, I'd say go with the axe and get the hit somewhere else (should you need it).

15+ Year Old Account

You should already have 30% crit or better unbuffed...unless you are being carried thru the new five mans, which makes me cry because I want to be carried on my dk. Definitely the Axe, higher top end damage, slower speed, and mmmm all that strength.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, the axe wins.

I'm at the hit cap and 34% crit with the axe in my PvE set, so the only thing I lose is the xtra crit.

10+ Year Old Account

Been tossing this around... [Quel'Delar, Might of the Faithful] or [Ramaladni's Blade of Culling]

I have both weapons already. Axe is equipped on armory (linked to sig image)
    Look up, see the buzzards circling?

Quote Originally Posted by Serryn
    Been tossing this around... [Quel'Delar, Might of the Faithful] or [Ramaladni's Blade of Culling]

I have both weapons already. Axe is equipped on armory (linked to sig image)
    isnt the axe much better than queldelnar?

Well, with the glyph of seal of corruption already giving a lot of expertise, you shoul already be close or over the expertise cap. That means that all (most) of the expertise on the axe is wasted. In that case Quel'Delar wins even with worse itemization.

Bottom line: use Rawr to decide.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ektoplasme
    Well, with the glyph of seal of corruption already giving a lot of expertise, you shoul already be close or over the expertise cap. That means that all (most) of the expertise on the axe is wasted. In that case Quel'Delar wins even with worse itemization.

Bottom line: use Rawr to decide.
    i replaced the glyph of SoV with exorcism as 20% increased base damage on an ability with a 100% crit chance on the majority of bosses we're dealing with now would be a good thing... at least i think. i'll probably be getting a bone arbiter shortly (first one that drops goes to me) though so by the time i finally make a decision i'll be ready to replace the weapon >_>
    Look up, see the buzzards circling?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Serryn
    i replaced the glyph of SoV with exorcism as 20% increased base damage on an ability with a 100% crit chance on the majority of bosses we're dealing with now would be a good thing... at least i think. i'll probably be getting a bone arbiter shortly (first one that drops goes to me) though so by the time i finally make a decision i'll be ready to replace the weapon >_>
    I tossed this idea around but in the end the loss in dps from excess itemization required for expertise cap makes it worse than SoV. Or at least it did in ToC gear, we won't be able to say that for ICC until all the loot is known

Thanks to Mipeo for pally's sig!

(This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Rawr tells me: (using t9 2p)
    The http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50296 is about 30 dps worse if I need 0 hit and about 60 DPS better if I need all of the + hit on it => as long as you need the hit go for the Polearm it's wayyyyyyy better (in PVE)

Quote Originally Posted by Riek
    isnt the axe much better than queldelnar?
    Considering, that ArP + Exp is probably the worst stat combo and the sword is slower it is not that obvious. (with my gear Quel'Delar is about 50 DPS better even if I remove the Glyph of SoV to make use of the Exp)

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin
    You should already have 30% crit or better unbuffed...unless you are being carried thru the new five mans, which makes me cry because I want to be carried on my dk. Definitely the Axe, higher top end damage, slower speed, and mmmm all that strength.
    Str items are horrible. Agi + AP ftw.