Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do Priest/Mage have any counters?

Is there any viable comps that beat mage/priest?I'm thinking afflilock/healer is like the only regular setup that can consistently beat them, am i right?
    (by regular i mean not teams like protwar/hpally)

Re: Do Priest/Mage have any counters?

Quote Originally Posted by onaqui
    Is there any viable comps that beat mage/priest?I'm thinking afflilock/healer is like the only regular setup that can consistently beat them, am i right?

aff/drui should be good

we play hunter + shaman - a weird setup and by mana draining mage ( viper sting is poison and priest can't dispel it ) we reduced them to lol
    Takes time , but if u survive the initialmage burst u are ok.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Affli/priest could probably oom either the mage or the priest.

well played hunter/druid and lock/druid teams are really hard to beat but aren't exactly a hard counter.

from what i can tell p/m has no hard counters but some fights are much much harder to win than others.

I play Resto druid & Unholy deathknight at very high rating as the death knight. We have a win / loose rate like 96% win vs Priest mage teams. It's the easiest setup we can play against. The losses is just because of misstakes. I don't know if evry dk / r druid teams have this easy against Mage priest, but atleast i have.

Zen, i play dk/dru at 2300 rating, and there's this 2600 rated sick fucking priest/mage team. They kill me (druid) in a fear->counterspell, with the DK interrupting at least one frostbolt. I'm in 1050 resil and 3200sp, and that shit fucking hurts.
    Some games they even don't go for me, they can just tunnel my DK if they want to. A couple dispels and a fear is enough to kill him. (He on the other hand is just full furious).

Got any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    I play Resto druid & Unholy deathknight at very high rating as the death knight. We have a win / loose rate like 96% win vs Priest mage teams. It's the easiest setup we can play against. The losses is just because of misstakes. I don't know if evry dk / r druid teams have this easy against Mage priest, but atleast i have.
    What kind of rating is very high? And how can you w/l be like 96%? Considering 96% is a pretty specific value.

Played this comp aswell. Mage/priest is indeed doable.

Zen, i play dk/dru at 2300 rating, and there's this 2600 rated sick fucking priest/mage team. They kill me (druid) in a fear->counterspell, with the DK interrupting at least one frostbolt. I'm in 1050 resil and 3200sp, and that shit fucking hurts.
    Some games they even don't go for me, they can just tunnel my DK if they want to. A couple dispels and a fear is enough to kill him. (He on the other hand is just full furious).

Got any tips?
    Id los. But then again I havnt done this comp since s6 and back then nothing was hard really.

los = both standing at a pillar, priest getting 2xfear all the time and they can just CC my healer and stand on top of me frostboltspamming.

Quote Originally Posted by patrin
    well played hunter/druid and lock/druid teams are really hard to beat but aren't exactly a hard counter.

from what i can tell p/m has no hard counters but some fights are much much harder to win than others.
    well actually a hard counter would be a MS + dispeler = shammy + hunter or hunter + priest come to my mind effectively putting the priest out of bussiness.
    They can survive to mage burst and the enemy priest will run oom in under 1-2 minutes or play.

This is as worse as it gets for the priest.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

I play a mage/disp team and the one team that we have a lower then 50% chance to win against is druid rogue ....but maybe that is because my priest is not very well geared
    http://www.sassygoatmilksoap.com/

Make sure once your on to listen a bit for the song!

ANY feral teams... Really, mage die THAT fast to ferals

any team with a resto druid or feral druid, it just doesnt happen
    hahaha. no.

The only real counter is rogue/shaman, if played extremely defensively.
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

i play affli/priest

mage priest is an outlast game for us
    i put DOTS up on both of them and then mana drain what ever is in LOS
    preferably the priest but if he's not in LOS i'll mana drain mage
    as soon as mage is oom you pretty much won if you can keep the mage from drinking using evo
    there will be no more prressure from an oom mage

we always try to make sure that none of them drinks!!!! (this is most important in that match up)
    you'll always win the mana war due to double burn, be quick to fear the priests manapet away

altough pet/mirror/mage and priest can put out a lot of damage it can be outlasted by
    avoiding CC at all cost when pet and images are up (try to LOS sheep every time)
    USE YOUR PET TO DISPEL if you or your priest get cought in sheep (or fear)!
    counterspell the mage when you or your priest needs healing in order to avoid counterspell on your priest!

not exactly easy to do but if you play well you should win most of the games
    you usually only lose when you fuck up somewhere in the beginning
    the longer the game lasts the higher you chances in winning are....

Assuming an arcane mage (as it has the most synergy with a priest) the hardest counter is feral/rogue, especially if someone has to trinket out of sap (into blind). The feral is basically immune to any CC priest/mage has and the rogue brings excellent burst, CC, stuns, and a general headache for priest/mage. While it's certainly possible and desirable to burst M/P down in this match-up, it's also possible to play more defensively against their cooldowns and the relatively lacking damage of a contested mage. Frost mage/Priest is a harder fight but by no means in favor of the M/P.

Most rogue teams will give M/P fits but feral/rogue is probably at the top of the list. The key is coming out ahead on cooldowns - any team that can force M/P to use their cooldowns (mainly Ice Block and Power Infusion) undesirably has the match handed to them on a platter.

15+ Year Old Account

Definitely Feral Druid/Priest. It's silly that this one isn't mentioned yet since Mage/Priest teams aren't even close to be a counter to this setup, but more like a free cookie.

I play ret/rsham, and so far we've beaten almost every priest/mage team, not easily but, very doable if you play right, also a very fun comp to meet.
    http://ask-a-ret.blogspot.com/ - Best paladin blog EU no jk.

Quote Originally Posted by myrkyr
    Nerd rage moar!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiss
    He probably tried to kill a resto druid at WSG, got cycloned and started a new thread complaning how ret paladins are bad for pvp.

prot warrior/rdruid can be a pain, a good hunter team can hurt also.