Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

why does dps in feel the need to pull trash/bosses?

all i want is a answer. why does the dps in 5 man heroics feel the need to pull and tank trash when your still buffing. if they want to tank why not roll a tank?

Re: why does dps in feel the need to pull trash/bosses?

Because they don't need a tank in order for that specific trash mob to die. I've done this before on my hunter or mage. CC on mob, starting killing the other while others are still jerking themselves at the beginning. Why wait for people to stop playing with themselves to start clearing trash?

i can understand healers pulling everything in the instance because they know what they're capable of (mana and surge wise)

I solo farm things in PoS. If shit isn't going fast enough, I'll go for it. Because I can.

no idea vote kick ftw
    http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z49/rchmarkert_2007/Signatures/cpt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by not again
    all i want is a answer. why does the dps in 5 man heroics feel the need to pull and tank trash when your still buffing. if they want to tank why not roll a tank?
    Because people are bad.

Unless your tank is moving at a snails pace there shouldn't be a reason for it ever.

Imo exercise your new "kick" option.

I've had this discussion with some guildies recently.

I'm on the side of the tank/healer on this one. I think it's simply etiquette that the DPS wait for the tank to pull, the tank wait for the healer to have mana, etc.
    We're in there as a group, as a team. It ought to be a rational assumption that we would work together. If it were possible to solo these instances Blizzard wouldn't have needed to implement a shiny new LFG system.

But I do understand the other side. Sometimes people are a bit slow. Slower than I'd like them to be at least. And there is honestly a lot of trash in these 5 mans that can be solod or cleared by a couple DPS without a need for a tank and healer.

Ultimately, I believe that the entirety of the run will be faster and smoother if the whole group is on the same page, working as a team. Even if that means slowing the pace down a bit. Most often the mistakes are made because people weren't working with each other (not focus targeting, not assisting the tank, not staying with a healer, etc etc).

My motto: Let them pull, watch them die.

Because the tank that gives a ready check for each pull of trash that insists on marking every skeleton in the group is an idiot.

It isn't tanking school, you should've learned to tank before stepping foot in a heroic instance, and if you didn't, you should proceed at a reasonable pace so the dps don't want to kill themselves. Just like the dps will try their best during pulls and the healer should be awake, you should be setting the pace and it should not be an hour long ordeal.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Im guilty of this behavior somewhat.

If I know i can cc one half of a pat and burn the other one down while everyone else is lollygagging I will, simply to show I can.Plus it lets the tank know they dont have to worry about me if i pull agro,it wont live long enough to smack me anyway.

Ive also done this when using the random group search because some healers wont heal a tank back to full after a pull is over they want us to wait while the tank eats 40k worth of time to top off his own health bar.

10+ Year Old Account

We had this problem in a heroic the other night while helping a friend gear out her tank.

We did average speed pulls (almost no down time between) and just made sure she had threat the entire time.

We had a shadow priest that was unloading on mobs that were lowest on threat etc, and he also was trying to solo pull groups etc. After he died he got a rez and started to bitch about speed and how the tank "Needs to hurry up".

Our reply "No she doesn't" and vote kicked his ass.

Next talk in group was the healer saying "If anyone else has a fucking problem say it now, if not, shut up and dps".

The rest of the run went smooth
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

I have pulled trash when a tank is extremely slow between pulls. It is rare but some tanks just drag too much ass.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by coldethyl
    Im guilty of this behavior somewhat.

If I know i can cc one half of a pat and burn the other one down while everyone else is lollygagging I will, simply to show I can.Plus it lets the tank know they dont have to worry about me if i pull agro,it wont live long enough to smack me anyway.

Ive also done this when using the random group search because some healers wont heal a tank back to full after a pull is over they want us to wait while the tank eats 40k worth of time to top off his own health bar.
    So what your saying is your the kinda person that says "HEY EVERYONE LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!" Regardless of what your capable of your part of a group, which means you work as a group.

I Play Hunter and on some occasins i have not pressed MD and have started dps but usually realise and MD asap and feign death, but i dont usually pull groups without tank been near by as it usually means pure wipe

Why is it that tanks fail to realize that their only purpose in a 5m Heroic is to tank the bosses?

I love tanks that seem to get an identity crisis when DPS starts pulling, or the 'let them tank, watch them die' mentality. Tank the bosses, shut your collective mouths until. Yes...you really arent necessary.

It may be annoying that the DPS pulls before you are "ready", but it is also annoying when people take 5 minutes to buff and get their mana back. I mean, you've got like 5 casts at the very most to buff (Paladins) and maybe 10-20 seconds to drink to full. That is, at most, 30 seconds to buff, which I do not feel is unreasonable.

Also, tanks that feel the need to do a ready check, ask if people are ready, and/or mark every single target in the instance need to understand that well geared dps can solo an elite in said instance in about 10 seconds.

To clearly answer the OP question, DPS starting to kill trash while you're putzing around taking 5 minutes to buff doesn't mean they want to tank. It means they want to get on with the dungeon.

I do it all the time on trash but not bosses.

tank and the other guys are taking like 5 mobs so i go and MD and nuke the next one cause its jsut quicker. and sometimes i MD multishot extra adds if the tank isnt retarded

i know what you're on about like DKs or w/e deathgripping mobs but if someone like a rogue or hunter does it it actually helps alot and i want people to do it when im on my tank.

15+ Year Old Account

it's not so much an issue while buffing, or even two targets if you can CC, it's with groups of 3 or 4 or:

- standing in the open when waves of HoR spawn and nuking the mobs that aggro you.
    - laying Consecration/Death and Decay on a portal or boss in VH (or boss in HoR) when I have no rage and Enrage is on CD and then proceeding to DPS anyway.
    - just generally pulling, ninja or otherwise, when I have no rage.
    - nuking the first target your tab gets you, even though it's been hit with 1 swipe.

...that's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by ihsanm
    Why is it that tanks fail to realize that their only purpose in a 5m Heroic is to tank the bosses?

I love tanks that seem to get an identity crisis when DPS starts pulling, or the 'let them tank, watch them die' mentality. Tank the bosses, shut your collective mouths until. Yes...you really arent necessary.
    and this is why you wait 20 minutes a tank.

10+ Year Old Account

why do people feel the need to make stupid threads/posts?

Solution: Roll a rogue or hunter and misdirect everything to your slow tank. It's challenging when he's nowhere near you
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)