Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: why does dps in feel the need to pull trash/bosses?

Quote Originally Posted by krasgoth
    Solution: Roll a rogue or hunter and misdirect everything to your slow tank. It's challenging when he's nowhere near you
    This is what I do...I can out-threat practically every tank I run into in the random queue, so I figure it works better if I do their threat for them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ihsanm
    Why is it that tanks fail to realize that their only purpose in a 5m Heroic is to tank the bosses?

I love tanks that seem to get an identity crisis when DPS starts pulling, or the 'let them tank, watch them die' mentality. Tank the bosses, shut your collective mouths until. Yes...you really arent necessary.
    As a tank, I have to agree.

And when you die because I'm not taunting it off of you, or the healer isn't healing you since you're intentionally taking damage - don't bitch.

Some people are impatient. You don't need every buff in the world with food and flasks and drums etc... to clear a 5man. I personally wait a few seconds make sure everyone is zoned in, toss a MotW on the group innervate anyone who is low on mana for whatever reason and start pulling. Granted I'm a tank and can solo most trash mobs, or at least last long enough that I don't worry about it.

I do the 5man heroic simple because I want my frost emblems that day and then go back to my normal gaming schedules. When my heroic takes 30-40minutes because people want to stop and drink or buff etc... it bugs me because its just extra time out of my day and I have to do it so that I can stay on the high end of the gear curve for raiding purposes.
    ~ Never switching off the boss to kill adds and blinking into defile; the story of Swizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinmaul
    Never tell the truth if it's going to make you look bad. You tell them you are an officer in Paragon and that you are fluent in Finnish. Then you can say you are used to long grinds and doing whatever it takes to ensure a big finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Htiger
    This is what I do...I can out-threat practically every tank I run into in the random queue, so I figure it works better if I do their threat for them anyway.
    Not like its hard to out-threat a tank, even good ones.

if you're complaining about dps pulling it means you're a BAD TANK.

BAD obviously for being a slow tank, because dps need to pull for you.

DOUBLE BAD for having to QQ about it on forums and not actually realising it's your problem, not the dps.

If a dps needs to pull for you, it means your slow.

end of story.

Lots of shitty dps superheroes in this thread.

Why am I not surprised?

When you’re a perfectionist and a tank things like dps pulling while you’re buffing gets really annoying really fast, doesn’t really matter if they aren’t in risk of death. Give everyone 30 seconds to setup their pally power or w/e and cast their 5 GCDS, also some mods don’t work the same when you’re in combat which just makes the tank slower and more frustrated. If the tank is still standing around doing nothing sure then try to speed things up.

Basically if the tank is actually doing something, or there is a clear reason why the tank is waiting, such as someone being rezzed or healer drinking after HHoR hyjal section. Then have a tiny amount of patience.

Most people want speed runs, but have some courtesy. And tanks, excluding the above examples, if dps are pulling every trash pack while you’re standing around then it’s your fault and you need to speed up. Last night ended up playing a game with a mage friend who’d try to blink to get ahead of my pally to get in a quick hit, while I tried to just keep in front of him with my PoJ power.
    Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by GW2375
    As a tank, I have to agree.

And when you die because I'm not taunting it off of you, or the healer isn't healing you since you're intentionally taking damage - don't bitch.
    I dont and therefore I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPoetry
    it's not so much an issue while buffing, or even two targets if you can CC, it's with groups of 3 or 4 or:

- standing in the open when waves of HoR spawn and nuking the mobs that aggro you.
    - laying Consecration/Death and Decay on a portal or boss in VH (or boss in HoR) when I have no rage and Enrage is on CD and then proceeding to DPS anyway.
    - just generally pulling, ninja or otherwise, when I have no rage.
    - nuking the first target your tab gets you, even though it's been hit with 1 swipe.

...that's annoying.

and this is why you wait 20 minutes a tank.
    Oh...and I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Impediment
    if you're complaining about dps pulling it means you're a BAD TANK.

BAD obviously for being a slow tank, because dps need to pull for you.

DOUBLE BAD for having to QQ about it on forums and not actually realising it's your problem, not the dps.

If a dps needs to pull for you, it means your slow.

end of story.
    It doesn't necessarily mean that the tank is bad or slow. It could mean that the dps are very impatient. The OP didn't make any statements about "needing a dps to pull for them". On my way to the 100 pug achievement thing, I can count on one hand the amount of times a dps pulled the next group (usually a maelstorm weapon or instant shadowbolt proc about to run out), but so it goes. I picked everything up and tanked it as usual.

Not once on any of those runs did I run into any of the problems or horror stories that the majority of these threads are describing, though after reading a post with the type of attitude displayed above, I can see what people might be talking about. I far and away outgear heroics (even in my tank offspec), but that doesn't give me the right to talk down on or judge others. Just play the game. This stuff about gear scoring heroics for example is just sick.

Seriously... Just trust their skill to kill the mob or pack they just pulled.

If they are not good enough to manage the pull, they will die and you get to kick them out for not being good at the easiest role in the game. If they wipe your party because of their 'great idea', kick them out.

I have no problem with that when I am tanking as long as they are good enough to end what they started. Misdirecting mobs to me is great and I appreciate it. Being a Druid, I do not have 3 Feral Charge-like abilities so it goes faster this way. On the other hand, Having a DK running after a pack and expecting me to rush after him and save his arse... It just does not happen.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

I will tank a heroic for a 15 minute or less clear, with chainpulling because I want to keep Divine Plea up, provided that you let me pull every group how I want it to be pulled - because my way is always better than yours, and makes it easier for everybody.

If you start intentionally pulling groups for me, I will intentionally slow down. Fortunately I haven't found anybody that's unhappy with the speed I go, so it hasn't been an issue.

The first thing I do on any character in a random heroic is pull. Before buffs, before exchanging hellos, before everyone's load screens are even done. Why? Because even in naxx level epics, these places were incredibly easy. Now they are cake. The most fun you can have is to do something totally ridiculous like pull three groups of mobs at once and see if it's still easy or never stop pulling and see if you can get through the dungeon before the random dungeon debuff wears off (15 min).

I haven't been in a group yet where there wasn't at least one DPS doing 4k or 5k DPS. Back when we were first doing heroics, that could easily be the total DPS for the entire group.

Some examples of how unimportant an individual may be:

In HoS, my group's healer went afk. We didn't even have someone to provide crappy off spec heals, but we went on anyways. We cleared 2 bosses and then brought in a healer right before the Tribunal event (we couldn't vote kick the healer until the 15 min debuff wore off). We even pulled 3 groups at once by accident and downed em all before everyone died. It was just plain funny and no one was angry.

In UK, my group's tank had to go afk right after the boss before the last. I didn't even say anything, I just freeze trapped one guy, used scare beast on a dog, and blew up the other guy. Next pull I threw a star on a guy and asked someone to CC it, the rest of the pulls I'd put up star and didn't have to say anything. We plowed through it, CCing and kiting stuff. For the last boss, my pet tanked. The tank ran in for the last few seconds of the boss fight, got credit for the kill, and we all had a laugh.

In HoL, I decided my healer and tank could handle a little more, so I rocket booted through the room where the statues come to life, aggroing them all. I ran back, Misdirected, and Volley'd them all onto the tank. Afterward he said "wth was that, some bug?" and I said "nah, I rocket booted through and grabbed em all, it certainly worked well!" to which he replied "lol, certainly did!"

Honestly, if you aren't easygoing and just doing wacky crazy stuff in heroics nowadays, they are mind-numbingly boring. Moreso, if you are getting mad at people and booting them, it ruins the fun for everyone. If your DPS are pulling, make it game to try and beat them to it, healer mana be damned. If you wipe, crack a joke.

15+ Year Old Account

If you're good enough to kill something before it kills you, then I, as the tank, have no problem with you pulling it and killing it. I used to get mad, now I just let it happen. I used to take it personally if someone died while I was tanking. Now....meh.

I'm good enough to know that if someone pulls threat from me, then that dps is good enough to kill it without me. If you pull something before me, well, if I grab it then you're welcome, if I don't, you better kill it quick.

Most LFG randoms that I do, the dps is rarely able to pull off of me, and I haven't had issues with someone pulling something before me. Those issues usually come from my guildies and I know what they are capable of. Plus I can just bitch at them in vent if they do something I am not ready for . However, in the Randoms the less deaths that occur, the smoother the run. So on the occasion that a mob gets out of my control or pulled before I did it, I will just taunt it to keep the group alive and moving along.

Also, people that pull as soon as they get in the instance are the same people that bitch about not having Might or Kings or some other shit to inflate their stats. You also forget that some people have different loading speeds and might not zone in as soon as you do. This does aggravate me.

On a side note, as a pally, tell me what buff you want quickly, otherwise you're getting kings. and dont bitch that you want might if I already gave you kings. Be happy I even buffed you in a 5man. Pet peeve of mine.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Speaking as a healer, I welcome the dps pulling... Because at least it gives me something to do. When a pally tank with 40k hp is pulling 3 packs of trash and my totem is keeping them at full HP, I am sitting on my hands. I usually either bring a paladin and have them ret tank things, or I spec elemental and just heal the tank between pulls.

Healing heroics is BORING, at least when a dps pulls I have something to do. I would much prefer having a well geared ret pally tank or speccing for dps and tossing a heal here and there.

Why does Dps pull.... Because it goes faster. Some tanks are just not confident enough. When I queue, im generally the healer since Blizzard never lets me dps as Shadow.(yeah im a priest) Ill be dpsing on atleast 3/4 of those pulls as long as the tank has atleast some minimum requirement gear... 35k + hp in Heroic is plenty enough for me to just make the tank pull 2-3 packs at a time. When im lucky and a guildie wants to heal, ill generally be tanking 2-3 mobs as shadow. Tanks don't bitch, because my gear allows me to tank any caster mob easily and kill them before anyone generally realizes that im tanking. Yes im one of those A-hole that dots all the mob before the tank even started thinking about charging in. Why? Because people don't understand the thrill you can get by just going faster and faster and faster each time. It might sound stupid but hell, If we wipe we will know for the next time. Until we wipe, sorry to say it but, stfu and try to keep up with me

For all those who think CC is needed... your in the wrong Expansion.
    For all those who think healers need ATLEAST 1/2 mana to pull... Look at the healers mana pool, 13k/26k is plenty enough + im sure he has some cooldowns.
    For all those who think Dps can't pull... 50-63k hp mobs die really fast.

Merry X-mas.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    What I said
    ^
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Not really an issue at all, I'm a healer and I always pull, tanks don't mind and I don't tend to do it with DK's unless it's my mates.

And to be honest if your tank isn't continuously pulling I'd be expecting the DPS to be pulling, especially hunters and rogues, just speeds up tedious heroics and makes them less annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyeVII

For all those who think Dps can't pull... 50-63k hp mobs die really fast.

Merry X-mas.
    when im waiting all of 5 seconds for a cooldown to come up so they wont pull off me when they go balls to the wall then they can wait a minute to not pull. I will wait and watch as they die until im good and ready once they start pulling ahead of me. And to be honest dps pulling only bothers me because i already know im pulling fast and keeping the pace up but i stop for either mana or runes on w/e tank im playing and they get impatient because they are spoiled

When i dps i stay with the tank. Period. If he's slow well w/e dont group with him again most people who play this game suck at it anyways iv gotten pretty used to slow tanks and bad dps in pug groups.

I tend to tank at a very brisk speed - I don't like going slow, and I hate when my badge/hour ratio is lowered by a tank/healer's inability to keep up in heroics. (they aren't hard).

With that said, if I'm tanking, *I* will set the pace, fast or not. If you (i.e.: anyone who is not myself) pull, once or twice if I figure it was just a "mistake" like you thought I was about to pull and jumped the gun, I'll let it go. I probably won't even say anything. if i see you do it intentionally, repeatedly, I will let you die. I will let the healer KNOW to let you die. I don't care what kind of DPS superhero you think you are, you will either die, or Vanish/FD - either way, I will be sure to be yards back and out of combat so that i don't have to finish what you started.

I won't get mad, but I won't save you. You feel the need to rush me, I'll make you realize how much slower I could go. I used to care if a DPS died - and I do, to a degree, still, under normal circumstances - but if you are going to pull for me because *you* don't like my already quick pace, then you will just risk a dirtnap.

Oh, and I usually run with a healer that I know, so the DPS superstar can be assured that they won't get heals, at all. So I do hope they can survive 3+ elite mobs on their own, "easy mode".

Have a wonderful day.