Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: why does dps in feel the need to pull trash/bosses?

I play both a warlock and a paladin tank in pve myself, so I know what its like to tank.
    I usually group up with 3 guildies when I'm on my warlock (of which 2 are dps and one is a healing, this means we're only pugging a tank).
    All 4 of us are quite geared (my warlock is in 226/232 gear, and the others are in 232+) so we pack quite a punch, add to that that the 4 of us are on skype together usually.
    Usually everything goes smooth and the tank just keeps chainpulling. However, sometimes, when the tank is slacking, we decide to take matters into our own hands. Thats how we found out that my warlock in furious gear can tank heroic nexus. All of it. We've already made a couple of teri-bad tanks leave because they felt useless xD.
    Nothing says 'you suck' more than a dps doing your job, and being better at it too.

Its not because we're elitist or anything (hell, apart from my paladin tank we're all in full pvp gear), but honestly, there's no need for 10-30 second breaks in between pulls. We know we can handle it without a tank on 99% of the pulls, thats why we pull.

it's easy, as a paladin.

If the healer starts pulling, ask them to stop. If they continue or get snarky with you, run ahead, pull EVERYTHING you possibly can, then bubble hearth at the last second.

They won't do it again.

Don't be slow.

A rogue can tank a heroic with cooldowns. Heck, a Shadow Priest can probably tank a whole heroic with their damage reduction and shields.

A ret pally, or a DPS DK can tank a whole heroic... A boomkin. A frost mage...

Unless it's ToC5 or a Halls of Frost Heroic... GO FAST!

Quote Originally Posted by Loklar
    Don't be slow.

A rogue can tank a heroic with cooldowns. Heck, a Shadow Priest can probably tank a whole heroic with their damage reduction and shields.

A ret pally, or a DPS DK can tank a whole heroic... A boomkin. A frost mage...

Unless it's ToC5 or a Halls of Frost Heroic... GO FAST!
    a mage could tank a heroic if the healer was good enough.

Maximum speed is not set by the tank, it's set by the healer. If i pull more than they can heal (IE a few trash packs and a boss) we wipe, and that's not fun. If i'm not with a guildy healer, i make an approximation based off the healer, and how much mana they're keeping after my pulls.

First off, I used to DPS. I rerolled a tank, and now a healer as well, because I was sick of constantly looking for said classes. I consider myself a decent tank and I will usually be able to hold things together when shit hits the fan. Honestly, I don't care all that much if you decide to pull. Most, not all, DPS who do that are either elitests or assholes so there's not much I can say to change their minds. I will even pull off of you to save you, if needed. Just remember, if your pull wipes the party that is an auto ignore. Twice is a vote kick. Also, any complaints result in an ignore as well. Not because I am pissed but because I play for fun and if not having to read hyperactive childish comments will allow my fun to continue, then it sucks to be you.

Additionaly, on my healer I have no problem ignoring a shitty tank that can't hold aggo to me. I will heal DPS if they pull off of a crap tank.

Now, as Johnny Storm puts it, "FLAME ON." Although I think he was referencing something else.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Actually i came up with an explanation on why dps went retarded

Blizz experimented with trashless raids in wotlk with eoe and toc. Toc being the highest gear progression raid for the last 4 months has caused dps to forget how to do trash. They lost the ability to let tanks do things its been all about the epeens in toc. Tank picks up boss dps goes nuts trying to get recount to say they have the biggest numbers. Not excusing the dps for being retarded but it at least gives a solid reason for why the've regressed to the GOGOGO and pull fasters.

I know i do screw up on dps now and then but I go with the understanding if i'm not tanking the run i pull it off the tank i'm dead if i can't kill it before it kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by Endler89
    Actually i came up with an explanation on why dps went retarded

Blizz experimented with trashless raids in wotlk with eoe and toc. Toc being the highest gear progression raid for the last 4 months has caused dps to forget how to do trash. They lost the ability to let tanks do things its been all about the epeens in toc. Tank picks up boss dps goes nuts trying to get recount to say they have the biggest numbers. Not excusing the dps for being retarded but it at least gives a solid reason for why the've regressed to the GOGOGO and pull fasters.

I know i do screw up on dps now and then but I go with the understanding if i'm not tanking the run i pull it off the tank i'm dead if i can't kill it before it kills me.
    Comments like these really don't do a lot for the discussion. You do realize that tanking isn't a very competitive thing. Healing isn't either. There are, in a typical raid, twice as many DPS as there are tanks and healers combined. That being said, here are a few points for you to mull over:

1. If your DPS didn't "try to get recount to say they have the biggest numbers", you wouldn't be able to weed out the bad players from the good players.

2. ToC, on hard mode, has a lot of fights that are very very tight in their DPS requirements. Tanks HAVE the tools to generate more aggro than DPS (I emphasize the word have because I have seen at least 1 tank of every class that I cannot pull aggro from). It is not the DPS's fault that their tanks cannot keep up with them.

The DPS should not have to cater to poor tanks. One moment, some tanks complain that they do more DPS than the actual DPS, but the next they are complaining that the DPS are pulling aggro from them. If I can pump 35K threat into you with my Misdirect, there is absolutely no reason that your aggro lead should not be secured (Remember, I'm still at 0 threat while I gave you 35k, so you should have a fine lead).

Tanks unite!

Join my wife and I in /ignoring every dps that feels the need to pull.

The crossrealm LFG tool will not let someone on your ignore list group with you. And as every Tank knows, our queue's are instant, so the only people that are hurt by /ignoring arrogant dps are the arrogant dps.

They don't like the long queues, but they act like asshats. Their queue's just get longer.

Good riddens.

I concur. I believe a mouseover /ignore macro is in order.

The only time I really got pissed off by a DPS doing things ahead of me was in H ToC.

I said I needed to get something to drink really fast and I took like 30 seconds to return. When I got back my character was near the portal, dead, being trampled during the joust. That really pissed me off.

Then I let them wait for another 15 min. Tanks really have some more control now. Too bad most new tanks are tanking because they want badges and do not want to face 15 minutes queues, so they get tanking gear and do a lousy job.

The only place tanks can get really annoyed is FoS and HoR. The packs are generally so far apart that they're already a bit of a pain to group up, even for belf prot pallies but especially for feral druids. Someone running in too close and range-aggroing em can really make these groups very messy, especially when an enrage ability is on cooldown. Somehow DPS doesn't realise that at all until they actually bother to roll a tanking class. So everybody that thinks they can 'solo' groups of adds in FoS and HoR, go roll a non-pally tank and enjoy these instances with trigger happy DPS-dweebs.

Quote Originally Posted by not again
    all i want is a answer. why does the dps in 5 man heroics feel the need to pull and tank trash when your still buffing. if they want to tank why not roll a tank?
    It's because tanks pretty much suck these days. Bad tanks will always PuG, good tanks will go with good groups because they don't like people that pull 3-4k DPS or that slack. DPS pull packs just because tanks are bad, if the tanks is good there should be no time for the DPS to pull because he should allready have contorol of the next pack when the first one dies. Warriors/Druids have charge DK's have DnD and paladins have AS. I'm retri but I also tank in heroics because I like it but I tell the healer to go DPS because I don't want slow runs, if the DPS are bad and slow I just leave.

Off-topic: I think gearscore is the worst bullshit ever. Never an addon will tell you if a player is good or bad.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiago
    Warriors/Druids have charge DK's have DnD and paladins have AS. I'm retri but I also tank in heroics because I like it but I tell the healer to go DPS because I don't want slow runs, if the DPS are bad and slow I just leave.
    If I'm with a healer who I don't know, and I don't know if their good or not, I do the traditional grab a pack, kill it, grab another, kill it ect.

However, I let dps die who decide to grab mobs ahead of me before the pack we are on is dead. Am I bad? I guess by your standards. I never have an issue with threat, and I could pull more if I wanted to. But I set the pace. Not the dps.

Also, DK's DnD has a long cooldown. When I'm tanking on my DK I just wait for it to go off cooldown. A lot of dps think I'm just stalling and try to pull things to me when there is noting I can do to grab the whole pack off them.

Quote Originally Posted by not again
    all i want is a answer. why does the dps in 5 man heroics feel the need to pull and tank trash when your still buffing. if they want to tank why not roll a tank?
    Heroics are easy, slow and boring so faster pulling means u get ur daily random weirdos gone faster

Quote Originally Posted by dyce09
    Because they don't need a tank in order for that specific trash mob to die. I've done this before on my hunter or mage. CC on mob, starting killing the other while others are still jerking themselves at the beginning. Why wait for people to stop playing with themselves to start clearing trash?
    this, if the rest of the group is really slow and trashpack isnt that dangerous and you can solo it, why not? while they rest, you can make it a little bit faster. me and my mage friend were running heroics with randoms and when group was slow between pulls, we always went to kill some packs, while they were resting, when we didnt need tank for them.

that said, it is different from random people pulling several packs at once just for the sake of being teh puller

Quote Originally Posted by urdaddy
    Tanks unite!

Join my wife and I in /ignoring every dps that feels the need to pull.

The crossrealm LFG tool will not let someone on your ignore list group with you. And as every Tank knows, our queue's are instant, so the only people that are hurt by /ignoring arrogant dps are the arrogant dps.

They don't like the long queues, but they act like asshats. Their queue's just get longer.

Good riddens.
    Yeah that is exactly what i am doing.I have also noticed that only retardins and DKs are doing that type of things like pulling agro then complaining about it once after they die... maybe because most of them tend to believe that they can actually "solo shit".
    Blizzard should extend the ignore lists to *unlimited*. just imagine ... each and every one of us will be able to build his/her own community :P
    Ceko@Al'Akir-EU
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&cn=Ceko&gn=Voivodite

[blizzquote author=Blizzard staff]Furthermore, it's not like there is much skill involved to that rotation ("GC SEZ RETS R FACEROLLERZ"). You hit the buttons and damage happens. [/blizzquote]

Well i do it. but the safe way :P

When i play on my rogue i see if everyone is ready "as my main is tank i know what ready means"
    when they are ready but the tank just stands and stands without notice. i use tricks of the trade on the tank and spam fan of knives. it has 2 advantages and 1 disadvantage.
    advantages:
    1. tank will have aggro on all of them as soon as i start spamming fan of knives
    2. i dont get aggro so they wont kill me :
    disadvantages:
    1. if everyone but the tank is ready cus he went afk for 30 sec without saying anything he wont generate more threat than my fan of knives and when they are down mobs go for the rest of the group. woops

Deleted

Levelling my warrior as prot through various dungeons I know this annoyance. I pull 2/3 packs when I can handle them. I don't have a huge problem with dps pulling sometimes, it just anoys me when they pull a group of casters and then don't give time to los. Then they wonder why my threat gen is low on them because I have to drag 5 melee around while I teabag all of the casters. But I have no problem with dps pulling if they understand I'm only pulling 15+ mobs because I have shield block ready.

Deleted

If you take 15 or more seconds per pull when the healers mana is clearly full and you haven't said brb, I WILL Tricks, Sprint and FoK spam. Don't like it? Speed the hell up.

I usually only do a random daily on my tank and my gf heals. I pull first pack look at recount and gear and see how fast the mobs are going down and that determines how fast ill go.
    Usually it 15-20 min per instance depends on what we got (CoS is just damn slow).
    I sometimes tank in frost with hb glyph so its a low cd high threath aoe tanking and with killing machine i usually end up second on the damage done.
    And now and then there is a "special" dps that likes to pull ahead or decides to go all out on a mob that is just running in and i only managed to hit it once.
    Once i had a mage fire off rocket boots to pull the next pack i was running to.
    And when i was stunned or incapacitated from some mobs attack i see some dps pull off more mobs.
    If a dps pulls he tanks it and gets no heals if they survive good but that never happens.
    And the funny part is that the rest of the group is standing and just watching them die
    If they bitch i just kick em off no one complains.
    And for the dps i dont care if you do 8k i can replace you with 2k and the instance will last like 1 min longer max or just continue 4 man or 3 man the rest.
    I dont like doing heroics they are boring and i do wanna run as fast as i can but leave it to me to pull because i could have all my runes on cd and no cd to grab the new pack for next 3 sec or so and most dps start running around like headless chickens.
    Now when i dps the random heroic just tag along the tank and pew pew and if i pull i just pop my defensive cooldowns and kill the mob.

And now if you really wanna help as dps do the misdirects/tricks if your dk mindfreeze,rogues kick and belfs torrent the casters to come to the tank, disarm the ranged etc.

So if your not a rogue/hunter dont pull packs thank you.