Thread: BiS Gear

BiS Gear

I have this problem in my guild with aret paladan's and BiS gear.

According to our leading ret pally in guild some leather pieces are BiS and he wishes to start rolling on these pieces. The guild leader however does not believe this and though he will allow him to roll if he has the dkp and wishes to roll I have some really bad feelings that people are going to think very negatively about him rolling on these pieces of gear.

The ret pally in question forwarded me to Elitist Jerks and their best in slot page. I don't like posting on their forums and I have faith that I might get a few clear responses to my inquiries on MMO Champion.

What I want to know is this, why are some pieces of leather good or better then some of the plate gear that is available from hard modes. And yes I know the gear from heroic ICC mode aren't available yet, he wishes to roll on the old BiS gear from ToGC, the link of which I no longer have.

Link to Elitist jerks: http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t84213-r...s_lists_3_3_a/

10+ Year Old Account

Re: BiS Gear

Leather has both high Agility, AP, and Crit, which scale nicely with the T9 and T10 bonuses. They also tend to not have "wasted" stats such as Expertise on them.

What about the difference in ap that you get from plate gear with str and leather gear that just gives plane ap?

Quote Originally Posted by St1ckman
    What about the difference in ap that you get from plate gear with str and leather gear that just gives plane ap?
    with 2pc t9 crit is almost the same value as strength.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Agility has a very high conversion rate to crit for paladins making the amount of crit %s on some pieces of gear immense. In addition, the ArP on leather pieces that was formerly avoided like the plague is now much more attractive with the t9 and t10 2pc bonuses.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

DKP is a currency with which anyone should be able to purchase gear that fits their role in the raid regardless of armor value. If a ret paladin is forced to roll on only plate gear and strength off-pieces(ie neck cloak), that paladin would have 500 Hit rating and 46 Expertise. That same paladin would also lack the sufficient critical chance to fully appreciate the 2T9 bonus.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Yes many leather and mail items are BiS. A way to tell would be to take a leather peice of gear, do the math to your current piece of plate. If you get more AP just off the leather than you do off the str on plate then it is much better. Because when you're ret you get 2.3 ap per str.

For example. A piece of gear consists of these stats:
    Leather
    118 Agility
    106 Stamina
    Yellow
    Red
    Improves critical strike rating by 81
    Increases attack power by 140.
    Increases your armor penetration rating by 59
    _____
    So you get 2% crit and some. Just off the Agi base stat.
    + 81 crit which is another 1% and some.
    --
    140 Ap would mean that in order for the plate item to be better it needs to have 60 str to = that ap.
    (+ 40 str from the gems and that's about 80 ap + some.)
    = 180 ap and 3% crit adding some to each if I felt like doing math

Personally I would trade up to 40 str off a base plate item just for that 3% crit.
    ___
    So in the end it doesn't matter what it is it's all about that stat.

PS: That item was Armor of Shifting Shadows.
    (ty Sustain for the awesome sig.)
    SSBB Friend Code: 3824-9242-2601. PM me if you wanna play.

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    DKP is a currency with which anyone should be able to purchase gear that fits their role in the raid regardless of armor value. If a ret paladin is forced to roll on only plate gear and strength off-pieces(ie neck cloak), that paladin would have 500 Hit rating and 46 Expertise. That same paladin would also lack the sufficient critical chance to fully appreciate the 2T9 bonus.
    This.

15+ Year Old Account

Unless you had terrible terrible drop rate luck, and I mean worse than my luck with Solace, then surely if you had been raiding ToGC25 long enough for the gear to be useful or meaningful, this would not be an issue. If you have just gotten in to ToGC, I'm gonna say to let the Paladin roll on his BiS gear if the Paladin is a good player/DPS. ICC25 is close.

Quote Originally Posted by St1ckman
    I have this problem in my guild with aret paladan's and BiS gear.

According to our leading ret pally in guild some leather pieces are BiS and he wishes to start rolling on these pieces. The guild leader however does not believe this and though he will allow him to roll if he has the dkp and wishes to roll I have some really bad feelings that people are going to think very negatively about him rolling on these pieces of gear.

The ret pally in question forwarded me to Elitist Jerks and their best in slot page. I don't like posting on their forums and I have faith that I might get a few clear responses to my inquiries on MMO Champion.

What I want to know is this, why are some pieces of leather good or better then some of the plate gear that is available from hard modes. And yes I know the gear from heroic ICC mode aren't available yet, he wishes to roll on the old BiS gear from ToGC, the link of which I no longer have.

Link to Elitist jerks: http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t84213-r...s_lists_3_3_a/
    it seems a bit mehish if the said ret pally is going to roll on some leather just to gain in total 127 more dps (without shadowmourne) that he would get with leather gear as BiS, in my guild we always have the armor specific classes getting their type of armor first before anything else. not sure if getting the BiS leather as well just for 127 is worth it but just seems to be a loot whore when it comes to getting the best dps, something which is coming to a change when cataclysm hits (thank god)