Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

shadow priest gems

Hi,

my main spec is holy and all thats gemed, im just a bit stuck on shadow, with what to gem, i keep getting mixed repsonce from the guild. so i wonder if you guys can help me with gems.

thanks for your hope, and may 2010 bring happyness and joy!!!!

15+ Year Old Account

Re: shadow priest gems

"I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

2 blue gems for the meta gem, sp/spirit
    sp/haste in yellow slots were the bonus is bigger than 2 haste; 2 sp or 3 crit
    rest of them 23sp

Dubbleslots are a bit more tricky, but try to gem 23sp as much as you can in red and blue slots and use those 2 blue gems to get as much bonus as possible

Quote Originally Posted by eErike
    2 blue gems for the meta gem, sp/spirit
    sp/haste in yellow slots were the bonus is bigger than 2 haste; 2 sp or 3 crit
    rest of them 23sp

Dubbleslots are a bit more tricky, but try to gem 23sp as much as you can in red and blue slots and use those 2 blue gems to get as much bonus as possible
    In most circumstances it's benefical to gem for the socket bonus using Purified Dreadstones, Runed Cardinal Rubies & Reckless Ametrines. The only time this isn't true is for single, double or tripple blue sockets... in the case of a single blue the difference is usually 0.1 PP, its not until double or tripple that it starts to amount to something significant.

So if you don't want to understand PP or work things out, simply gemming for socket bonuses (assuming its a dps socket bonus) isn't the worst thing to do. Other than that, go to shadowpriest.com and do some reading in the BRGA thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    In most circumstances it's benefical to gem for the socket bonus using Purified Dreadstones, Runed Cardinal Rubies & Reckless Ametrines. The only time this isn't true is for single, double or tripple blue sockets... in the case of a single blue the difference is usually 0.1 PP, its not until double or tripple that it starts to amount to something significant.

So if you don't want to understand PP or work things out, simply gemming for socket bonuses (assuming its a dps socket bonus) isn't the worst thing to do. Other than that, go to shadowpriest.com and do some reading in the BRGA thread.
    I've been searching for the PP thread on shadowpriest.com for a while but I can't find it, mind linking it?

And for so long, when is the socketbonus for single blues worth it with a Purified Dreadstone? as patch 3.3 changed the numbers of value of spirit (for ex. 15spi on chest now beeing the best chest enchant etc)

I've been searching for the PP thread on shadowpriest.com for a while but I can't find it, mind linking it?

And for so long, when is the socketbonus for single blues worth it with a Purified Dreadstone? as patch 3.3 changed the numbers of value of spirit (for ex. 15spi on chest now beeing the best chest enchant etc)
    pretty sure the socket bonus has to be +9 sp for it to be worth more than the benefit of one runed cardinal (23sp)

if the bonus is 7sp and socket is blue, you get 23sp from a runed or around 21-22 for a purple (sp/spirit gem + bonus)

with a 9sp bonus and blue socket you get around 23-24sp from it

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t84746-s...lp_my_friends/

Step 1: Read it.
    Step 2: Change whatever you did wrong.
    Step 3: Be a happy troll.
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Profit.

Yes, that is how it works.

The PP value thread is also in the BiS thread, so here: http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.ph...=24134&start=0

Quote Originally Posted by greysin
    pretty sure the socket bonus has to be +9 sp for it to be worth more than the benefit of one runed cardinal (23sp)

if the bonus is 7sp and socket is blue, you get 23sp from a runed or around 21-22 for a purple (sp/spirit gem + bonus)

with a 9sp bonus and blue socket you get around 23-24sp from it
    Closer to 5-6 SP; 1 Runed Cardinal Ruby is 23 PP, 1 Purified Dreadstone is 17.9 PP, so the amount of PP needed to off set the difference is 5.1 PP. Also, 10 spirit x ~50% conversion of SP = 5 SP, so the end total for Purified gem is 17 SP and 10 Spi.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaislas
    http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t84746-s...lp_my_friends/

Step 1: Read it.
    Step 2: Change whatever you did wrong.
    Step 3: Be a happy troll.
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Profit.

Yes, that is how it works.
    For spriest, the most up-to-date almost always is shadowpriest.com

Also, 10 spirit x ~50% conversion of SP = 5 SP, so the end total for Purified gem is 17 SP and 10 Spi.
    It's listed as .59... which is 59%. This is all based on a few factors.

It's only 59% if you have:

Glyph of Shadow
    Improved Spirit Tap

Without those two, it's just 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    It's listed as .59... which is 59%. This is all based on a few factors.

It's only 59% if you have:

Glyph of Shadow
    Improved Spirit Tap

Without those two, it's just 20%.
    pretty much every spriest would have those.

You'd be surprised.

You'd be surprised.
    IST, I can understand(although you shouldn't be running without it), but with the lack of actual dps glyphs, you're a horrible spriest if you do not have Glyph of Shadows.

i hope not! :-) but new people to the class may not know.

gemming spriest is simple though. Chaotic meta, 2 purified in blues where you can get a decent socket bonus (spell power or haste). reckless in yellows where socket bonus is sp or haste especially. Runed cards in everything else.

thanks for all ur input guys, i will gem it up soon as i got some gols

IST, I can understand(although you shouldn't be running without it), but with the lack of actual dps glyphs, you're a horrible spriest if you do not have Glyph of Shadows.
    That's all well and good. It's still good practice to point out to people how the numbers come out. You shouldn't just say "Spirit is worth .59 SP" without telling them what components help them get that.

reckless in yellows where socket bonus is sp or haste especially. Runed cards in everything else.
    Kind of. Reckless is 22... Runed is 23. You can debate that putting Reckless with a +4 Spirit bonus will benefit. Hell, even a +2 Spirit. I would pretty much put Reckless in any single yellow socket for the bonus. Crit, Spi, Haste and SP bonus' will 100% of the time provide you with an extra 1 PP.

Because the general theory is not good enough for most players as we dont have access to BiS gear all the time, It makes the most sense to gem according to your toon and identify the optimal gear/gem/enchanting that needs to take place.

There are a couple of great tools. If you are having trouble and would rather not link your armory, use RAWR. It's a fantastic tool:

http://www.codeplex.com/Rawr

Kind of. Reckless is 22... Runed is 23. You can debate that putting Reckless with a +4 Spirit bonus will benefit. Hell, even a +2 Spirit. I would pretty much put Reckless in any single yellow socket for the bonus. Crit, Spi, Haste and SP bonus' will 100% of the time provide you with an extra 1 PP.
    pretty sure thats what i said. reckless in yellow especially where socket bonus is spell power (sp), haste or crit. spirit if its like +8 or whatever but i dont' remember seeing any dps gear with a spirit socket bonus(?)

I think you mistook my sp for spirit, should have been SP i guess :-)

Apparently, asking for help makes you a troll.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by redrage
    i hope not! :-) but new people to the class may not know.

gemming spriest is simple though. Chaotic meta, 2 purified in blues where you can get a decent socket bonus (spell power or haste). reckless in yellows where socket bonus is sp or haste especially. Runed cards in everything else.

This is actually bad advice and while it will be true some of the time shows very little insight in to optimising your gear.

There are 3 gems you will use, those being...

Runed Cardinal Ruby (23 SP) worth 23 PP
    Reckless Ametrine (12 SP & 10 haste) worth 22 PP
    Purified Dreadstone (12 SP & 10 Spirit) worth 17.9 PP

The way to work out what gems to use, work out what PP you would gain by using pure red gems, so 1 socket = 23, 2 sockets = 46, 3 sockets = 59. Then see if gemming for the socket bonus can get you a figure that is higher using the 3 gems above, if so, thats what you use.

As I previously stated, in 99.9% of circumstances gemming for the socket bonus will be superior than flat red gems. The only time this won't be true is for single, double or tripple blue socket items. In which case a single blue socket that will have a 5 sp socket bonus is only 0.1 less than gemming for pure SP. I suggest losing 0.1 PP for some regen is worth while. It only becomes a signficant number when u have 2 blue sockets for 7 sp or 3 for 9 sp that the loss is too great to not gem for. Any other combination of sockets will generally give you a better PP figure than pure SP.

Quote Originally Posted by redrage
    pretty sure thats what i said. reckless in yellow especially where socket bonus is spell power (sp), haste or crit. spirit if its like +8 or whatever but i dont' remember seeing any dps gear with a spirit socket bonus(?)

I think you mistook my sp for spirit, should have been SP i guess :-)
    Some allaround gear that fitts for both healing and dpsing (more usuall now with the new haste buff to priests) have, but it's not usuall
    And, never seen tho, if there is a yellow socket with a 4spi bonus you should take recless, not only cuzz the PP sais so but also cuzz extra stats is allways good ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    Apparently, asking for help makes you a troll.
    Apparently, reading the whole thread and understand it is overestimated.