Is this against the TOS?

I found a mod link somewhere that deleted the sound effect that plays when you spam abilites that are on cooldown... it was called "no more combat sounds" or something like that I can't recall. Basically I kept only the folder that removes the fizzled sound effect...

Problem is it installs to Data rather than Interface, and clearly for some reason Blizz doesnt want you to be able to disable that sound effect.... so is using this mod considered a hack of sorts?

Re: Is this against the TOS?

Not sure about your direct question, but, you can disable those sounds using simple macros. No addons needed.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Quote Originally Posted by Simonzi
    Not sure about your direct question, but, you can disable those sounds using simple macros. No addons needed.
    I know that, dont want to make 85 macros for each spell

Link to said addon imo

If you think it's wrong, chances are good you should not use it.
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Ardelia
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Aethrid
    Just go Menu>Sound>untick the box that says "Error Sounds" or something of the sort
    this. the feature is already in game, no need for an addon.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzýEU
    False

Quote Originally Posted by LizzýEU
    Untrue. You can turn off error SPEECH, but not the "whoosh" sound effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardelia
    Yeah, that one.

I just want to be sure because I saw a comment on some forum where it was linked of someone saying it might be against the TOS, and it makes sense... since it isnt an interface add-on which is the only officially sanctioned 3rd party modification of the game as far as I know.

10+ Year Old Account

Awesome for my pally tank. Thanks for that link <3 :-*

10+ Year Old Account

As a general rule, if you can (in theory) do it manually (or with a macro in this case) its acceptable.

As long as you do not get an advantage over other people, it is not against the TOS.

If you see not hearing annoying sounds as an advantage, then it is. But let's not be sarcastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltrollo View Post
    [/COLOR]

This is a gray area and I'll try to explain why...

Changing a font is completely harmless as it will naturally only change the text appearing on your screen. Changing sounds however can be used for many things, for example you could in theory replace the stealth sound and when someone sneaks by you it would sound like a honking truck instead... This would be bannable of course, as they can in fact ban you if they just feel like it, it doesn't have to be written in the ToS specifically. As for what you asked, replacing the error sound is harmless so it's unlikely they would take any action. Warden (their anti-cheat tool) should be able to detect which sound file you are replacing and consider it harmless.

So that's why replacing files in general is a gray area... but in your case specifically it should be fine. But no guarantess

P.s.: I replace WoW's gun sound because I think it's way too loud and I'm fine so far ^^

i dont even hear that anymore

I would be very suspect of any mod that goes anywhere other then the Interface folder...

But yeah you can turn off sounds if you want.

One of your best bets is to just include such a feature into a macro itself.

/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    <your macro here>
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Will disable the SFX run your macro, enable it afterwards and also cleanup errors so none of them will be displayed.

Now one might think... wow that is kinda long and I'm already somewhat close to the 255 character limit.. well I have a solution for you then.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ortmacros.aspx

Using the above addon your new macro would be

/de
    <your macro here>
    /ee

So just another option for you to use.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

It's not against the TOS unless you have to edit an MPQ file to change it. If Blizzard allows a simple soundfile with the right name and right path to change it, then it's allowed.