Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mind Flay Refreshing SW: Pain question

This isn't what you think it is. Trust me.

I am well aware that damage increase effects can be sustained if you re-cast shadow word pain and mind flay throughout a fight.

I have some questions though, and I'm asking because i'm at that lovely cross road again that forces me to take a serious look at my gear.

1. Can crit increasing effects be sustained through mind flay? IE, I use a trinket that ups my crit, recst SW:P and keep it sustained with mind flay.

2. I heard that this issue had been fixed... Is this true? Thanks.

Edit: never mind about the first question. I found my answer. Now I just need to know if Blizzard has fixed the "bug" or not.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Re: Mind Flay Refreshing SW: Pain question

no mate crit chance is crit chance. lets say for instance u had 100% crit for 10 secs and cast swp it wud NOT keep the crit up after the 10 secs it wud go bk to what ur crit actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrier
    no mate crit chance is crit chance. lets say for instance u had 100% crit for 10 secs and cast swp it wud NOT keep the crit up after the 10 secs it wud go bk to what ur crit actually is.
    All the theorycrafters over at shadowpriest.com say the exact opposite to that. Which is why a Wild Magic pot just as you pull is a pretty decent increase in DPS if you can get the timing right so you aren't in combat.

Yeah, I just tested on a dummy.... almost every other SW:P tick was a crit. I think i've found my answer.

Thanks all!

It hasn't been fixed. I've been using Nevermelting Ice Crystals for a few weeks now, and my shadow word: pain has critted about 10-15% more, according to recount (on fights that I've been able to keep it up).

Won't get fixed before Cataclysm imo

using a wild pot b4 going into combat just allows u to use another 1 minute later so ur saying if i drank a pot b4 a pull i cud effectively cast swp dontlet it fall off and use the pot again 1 min later and cast swp again and it wud keep the crit chance as long as swp does not drop off?

using a wild pot b4 going into combat just allows u to use another 1 minute later so ur saying if i drank a pot b4 a pull i cud effectively cast swp dontlet it fall off and use the pot again 1 min later and cast swp again and it wud keep the crit chance as long as swp does not drop off?

MMMMM, exploitation... so tastey

if its true then this is great but i dont see how it cud be, i mean tbh crit is completely unpredictable so knowing if it worked wud require you to aquire a very large amount of crit to see if u cud keep it going. i mean think about it, u cud have 20% crit and crit 10 times in a row. likewise u cud have 40% crit and not crit for 10 hits

You would be better having a wild magic before the pull, then when you can have a haste pot just as both VT and DP are needing to be recast within a few seconds of each other so you get the extra haste on those 2

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai
    You would be better having a wild magic before the pull, then when you can have a haste pot just as both VT and DP are needing to be recast within a few seconds of each other so you get the extra haste on those 2
    no no we mean being able to use 2 wild pots giving u 400 crit rating and keeping it refreshed with mf

That's why I love Nevermelting Ice Crystal. On a nice easy fight like Onyxia, you can keep the extra 20% crit on the entire fight.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

no no we mean being able to use 2 wild pots giving u 400 crit rating and keeping it refreshed with mf
    When you recast SW:P it takes your current crit rating, so you cant stack it

hmm well im still not convinced lol. i want proof!!

if its true then this is great but i dont see how it cud be, i mean tbh crit is completely unpredictable so knowing if it worked wud require you to aquire a very large amount of crit to see if u cud keep it going. i mean think about it, u cud have 20% crit and crit 10 times in a row. likewise u cud have 40% crit and not crit for 10 hits
    Someone above tested on a dummy. The longer your test parse is, the lower the risk of rng-influenced anomalies.

I have Nevermelting Ice Crystal on my lock, whose mechanics are similar to those of a shadow priest in that we auto-refresh our Corruption in much the same way you auto-refresh you SW:P.

Haste and SP are adapted to your 'current' level every time you refresh the DoT, but the crit % is based upon your crit at the initial application and is maintained continuously until such time as the dot should be allowed to drop off (i.e., is not refreshed). I have confirmed this (for the crit) both on target dummies as well as on prolonged boss fights, seeing approximately the 20% crit increase offered by the trinket.

Pre-potting w/ Wild Magic will further increase the crit rate of the DoT for the duration. Using a 2nd one when the 1 minute out-of-combat-potion-debuff wears off will not increase the crit rate as it has already been set. Also, to the poster who suggested potting a WM pre-pull and then very shortly afterwards taking a haste pot, you would not be able to do this until the 1 minute potion CD has expired.

Something else I will suggest: Since your DoT maintains the crit rate even if the elements that contributed to your initial crit are removed, bribe your mages to put Focus Magic on you for the first, oh, 20 seconds of a fight and then switch it to their preferred FM target. You'll get the 3% bonus crit for the life of the DoT, which in a boss fight will easily make up for the loss of DPS by the mage for the singe GCD they use reassigning FM elsewhere.

If you have this trinket, be sure to consider the mechanics of the boss fight before using it again when it has come off of CD. As an example, on Festergut it is worthwhile reserving it to reapply a fresh, crit-enhanced SW:P if your DoT drops during a period where you're hit with Vile Gas.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

it may not be the smartest thing in some ppls eyes but this works for me with that trinket... i decided to change my rotation so that all 3 of my dots got the full affect of the trinket at the start of the fight.. for example

MB (1 SW stack)
    MF (4 SW stacks)
    TRINKET
    VT (5 SW stacks)
    SWP
    DP (because if dp crits at start u lose a charge)
    MB
    MF

i find that the ticks of each dot with a high crit % seems better than using the trinket on a MF or MB... cos dot ticks dont take charges off which means my dots and MB/MF will get to play with the crit benefit

i know this may be a lil off topic from the swp thing but its close enough and not worth making a new thread about

Thoughts?

Wrong

Crit chance in forms of buffs and debuffs persists through the MF refresh, u can test this with the H PoS trinket which I can confirm carrys through for the entire duration.

Confirming what others said - if you pop Wild Magic and Nevermelting Ice Crystal and then cast SW:P it will have the crit rate during the fight that was present on-cast.
    That way you can lock down sw to have over 50% crit chance.

So i've also heard about a "crit cap"

Before I go stocking up on more Wild Magic potions, I heard somewhere that the crit cap was around 40%.

If this is true, then the trinket I have will do me just fine. My raid runs with a boomkin already, not to mention any buffs I recieve through int, kings, etc...

Not to mention that i currently have a natural 20% crit already.

15+ Year Old Account

There is no crit cap.

At least no hard one.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!