Deleted

I want to tank - But I'm clueless

Long Story Short...I'm bored with dps

I'm sick of long LFG times, No raid slots because when i took a break for 2 months everyone seemingly geared up hella-quickly, and mainly because my clothie mage can't run old level content, and I want to solo old raids, heroic tbc dungeons etc...

I've been reading things like Maintankadin and EJ Tank stuff, but to me it all seems kind of advanced, so I thought I would come here to you guys, for both the flames and the help (because when u sift through the /facepalm and the "this thread is now about cats" Stuff there is actually some nice guys and gals on here)

Anyway....This is my tank (laugh away)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Emmsevenlulz

Ive been told the magical number to start tanking is 27k health, but I need to be def capped! Im about 50 away from the cap. Sadly no one on my server crafts boe Epics and theres hardly anything on the AH thats above level 78 blue in terms of quality, I Don't want to be a scumbag who ruins another persons group (because I like to make sure I can pull my weight) so what would u guys suggest.... Run normal dungeons at 80? Help with gems/enchants/kit, easy craftables/trinkets is all thankful, plus advice etc

/Emmsevenlulz

Re: I want to tank - But I'm clueless

i would buy the lv 254 tank items and lv245 as u can get ring,cloack,chest and legs and then ur good to go for most heroics even with the blues

First of all i will recommend You to farm HoL normal for defense trinket (i dont remember but its around 70def). Also level Your professions. Check AH for blue BoE items. With low hp its good to be def capped because boss can one shoot You.
    Or find friendly healer who will run with You;]
    At least spec is good;]

Cheer and good luck.

If your willing to bare the long dps queues for a few heroics, go dps and farm some emblems. 1 or 2 pieces of the T9 will upgrade your gear enough. Or Try getting some friends/guildies together to help yuo through, and avoid the Pugs.

if your still struggling to get def capped, offset it with some resilience

Hello some advice from me

First off pick 2 proffs, for easyness minig with eather BS or JC, minig gives passive 60 stam, JC worth 62 stam in diffrence from their epic gems till the normal 30 stam gems and BS gives a socked bonus to bracers and gloves more so worth 60 stam

Next get 2 trinkets. if you pick JC youll get a blue one there, witch is a really nice starter one gemmed with your own gems. if you didnt pick JC go for the one from AN hc second boss, and ToC 5 ( no hc ) last boss.

This alone will raise your HP by ~ 3.5k - 4k

Next ive seen some tanks make it in ToC and the 3 new icc ones on normal with low HP ( maby abit more than what you have atm ) but the gear in there are amazing starters !

I would say as soon as you get the def cap, just start farm HCs randomly itll filter out the harders ones by your Ilevle scaore so no risk of getting in a too hard one. and HCs today are so easy its laughable

Hope you get on with the tanking ive enjoyed it alot on my toons.

I'm a druid tank so i don't know a lot about pala tanks but i think the basic is this. I think you should, for starters, join a guild and ask a few guild members to help you get some practice. You should farm ToC normal for a few tanking items, especially the "Black Hearth" trinket. There are many protadin guides out there that list all the gear that a freshly dinged pala should get and the most important gems, enchants you should focus. You could also do the Argent Tournament daily quests and buy the tanking axe. There are a lot of good items you can get from rep with different factions.
    I'm not the best at giving tips but i hope it helped.

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t37172-p...wow_3_0_wotlk/

Read that. Memorize that. It is your new Bible.

There's a "quick and dirty" tanking set on the very last part of it. You can get all the items from that to reach the defense minimum.

Good luck and have fun tanking!

Quote Originally Posted by det
    And that is all there is. Tanking now might be frustrating for the "abuse" some might rain on your gear, so idd the advice to stick it through a week of longer queues might be the sfe one here.
    I leveled a second prot pally for another raid lockout, and you are right.

OP Deal with the queues until you can get some triumph gear. Make the 245 cuffs, 245 chest, and 226 boots. You can get the 245 head, 245 shoulders, 232 gloves, 232 pants, 226 belt, 226 neck, 213 cloak all from emblems.

Do what I did and save the emblems until you have a lot, because you can get some good drops. CoS shield, ToC reg and heroic drop good starter stuff. If your DPS gear is good enough the 3 new instances drop cloak 219, weapon 232 (2 different ones), boots 232, a 232 trinket, 219 shield. You won't get all of these, but at least some, then fill the holes with emblem gear.
    "Peace is a lie"

Hi Ninja,

i kinda faced the same issue as you did. Here is what i did.

Forget about the amount of HP, the other classes will always be complaining about a pally's HP. What they seem to forget is that a pally will always have less HP over warrior or druid. What really matters is your def cap. For heroics a def cap of 535 is enough (but 540 is what your healer would like to see) so start running them asap. I ran TotC on normal and heroic until i had every def armor piece i could get. While you do this you will also get some Emblems and make some money.

Get red sword of courage out of Utgarde Pinnacle, crest of lordaeron from the culling of stratholme and when this is all done you probably have enough Emblems for some upgrades ( Shard of the Crystal Forest for example).

By now you should be ready to tank Naxx and OS... but please stick to the 25man. KT in Naxx drops a nice shield for example, and if you are lucky you can find a small weapon upgrade here as well. OS does not drop that many interesting items for a tank (anymore).

Done?

Forget the rest... start running Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection. These dungeon are ridiculously easy and there are some very nice upgrades. also, you will get enough Emblems to get your armor lvl 232 items ( whats that... tier 9?) which you can buy from the vendors at Trial of the Champions area.

Here is some info from a casual player that play's the game once a week, no uber epic imba player that plans his private time for raiding and farming, drinks beer with his friends and has a beautiful satisfied girlfriend... or NOOB to IMBA players whahaha.

No serious, it got me here so far -> http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...lon&n=Dallrann so maybe this info is of some sort of help to you.

If you want to know something about rotations, buffs, builds etc etc just send me a pm and I'll tell you what i do. Just remember that i am no pro... but then again, i dont want to be

Good luck and i hope my info is of some help to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronk

Get red sword of courage out of Utgarde Pinnacle, crest of lordaeron from the culling of stratholme and when this is all done you probably have enough Emblems for some upgrades ( Shard of the Crystal Forest for example).
    Dont even need to do h UP for the RSoC. You can get a tanking axe from the tournament that more or less that same quality.

Your main priority is 540 def cap, while it's true that 535 is good enough for heroics, lets get you started on the right path. Paladins have naturally less health than other tanks and while near 30k is what people look for it's true that 25k unbuffed would be fine for the heroics you'd be getting signed up for (keep in mind that the heroics you get using the random dungeon tool directly reflect on your gear level). So here's a few things I recommend you try:

• Rating Buster: This addon will make it a lot more clear how much defense a particular item gives you, making it easier to hit that 540 cap.
    • Jewelcrafting: JC is the best profession for a paladin tank, it helps with our naturally lower stamina and is a really good money maker
    • Mining: If you get JC this will be a must for prospecting and additionally it will provide 60 extra stamina.
    • Crafted Epics: The Titansteel Shield Wall is a good start, I would also suggest the Helm since you can add a meta, a def or stam gem, and a head enchant to it.
    • Trinkets: Seal of the Pantheon from normal HoL is a good place to start, I think it ends up giving 13 def at 80. The Monarch Crab from JC is fairly cheap to make and offers 2 gem slots and a ton of stamina.
    • 96969 Rotation: Learn it and love it, it'll stop people from talking shit about you when they can't pull aggro off of you. http://www.wow-pro.com/class_guides/..._tanking_guide helped me a lot when I was starting out.

I also want to add, prepare to be insulted for your gear when you're starting out, but remember to let that roll off your back and when it comes down to it, without you they'd still be waiting in the queue for a tank to show up. Keep in mind when heroics first started getting done people had 20k HP and were in mostly blues, the job still got done.

Transfer to a server that isn't dead and then use blue gear, crafted epics to hit the cap, Health doesn't matter i started tanking heroics with 23k health its not difficult at all. After that grind heroics

(havent checked your armory as its apparently down)
    For start, go to random dungeons as DPS. Most of the tanks will not need drops so you can need for offspec, plus you will farm badges. In the meantime do quests, farm etc. to get gold for the 245 craftables.

Once you get 25-27k unbuffed or even less BUT at least 535 defense, queue as tank. Also make an upgrade list and instead of random LFG, try queing for specific instances which are easier and where you can get upgrades.

For start you can try high-end normal instances as well, they drop 187 loot - HoL, CoS, UP.

There is an excellent excellent article at The Bossy Paladin and the Giant Spoon.

http://bossypally.wordpress.com/2009...n-out-of-mana/

My newly-dinged paladin tanked Utguarde Keep and The Nexus with 19.8k health and 515 defense yesterday. I was critically hit a few times but it only led to one wipe. None of the random PuGs made an issue of my gear except for lone DK (why oh why is it always a DK) who complained loudly about my not being uber geared. We kicked him after our only wipe, the whole group was tired of his tirades and his 850 DPS ...

You could also start signing up and asking your healer nicely if it will be a big problem for him to keep you up because you got less than required (by todays standards) gear.

Some of us did heroics back at the start of WotLK and that was with less than 30k hp and without defense cap so it's possible. Some healers are actually quite open to help out a bit if prewarned so they (we as my main is a priest ^^) can get out of our zombielike heroic state and actually pay a bit attention ^^ (atleast that's what I experienced when gearing up my warrior), most of the time I see complaining it's actually dps'ers whining about the hp.

^^^

I recently hit 80, had a couple crafted pieces waiting but the rest I had to get. A few runs of normal ToC and the new ICC 5 mans will get you very close to the def cap in no time.

I wasn't planning on hitting heroics til I was def capped unless I could convince some of my well geared healer friends to keep me up. However my GF who plays a lock, told me to man up and we hit a couple of heroics last night.

The LFD system threw us into UK and DTK and she was the highest dps in the grp at 3k, so threat wasn't really an issue for me except for the DK's running in frost pressence.

At the start of both runs I told the grp I was relatively new to tanking and was a little bit under the def cap. Both times the healers said thx for the heads up and had no issue keeping me up. In fact I recieved some pleasant complements on my tanking and one of the healers was even happy to have to heal for once lol. (I know the feeling running on my Priest healer heroics are pretty tedious and boring when ur tank is stacked.)

Anyway like the guy above me said, if you give the grp a heads up it's usually cool. And the healer's the only one who's response u should care about...if the dps wants to talk shit or not downgear/give u a couple secs to build some threat...then boot them and get a new one in 2secs.