The choices of a profession

Hello there, I'm currently a main spec discipline tank-healer priest with offspec shadow. I've been gathering most of the gear I can, and while not nearly finished (boots make my eyes bleed :-X) I'm getting there.

As it stands, I have taken Alchemy and Herbalism (as per suggestion of a friend of mine who took tailoring and enchanting for his mage). And it turned out, very quickly, as I was leveling, that the professions I chose were giving me no real benefit and were rather "for friends" than for me. As it stands I face a fairly weird wall of decisions. I'm very unhappy with herbalism since it's benefit is "lifeblood". Useless when you get aggro and are bent over and broken in 2 shots, shielded or not... On the other hand alchemy provided me with endless mana pot (meh kinda weak, and i'm near full efficiency raid buffed - can always rely on runic potions should the need arise, which give a lot more) and flask of the north - unconsumed spell power flask. Effectively, it sucks. I know that using Flask of the Frost Wyrm combined with mixology would boost it up a fair deal from 125 to 162 but that extra 37 spell power i really can't care for as much.

Nothing else attracts me to alchemy. Brings in no money, requires mats that are pretty costly and sometimes bit heavy on them, and I see myself becoming the guild's slave, pumping out potions like there's no tomorrow.

As it stands I'd like to figure out which two professions (considering the fact I don't wanna die leveling them, nor drain me out of all my money) I should pick that would directly benefit me in raid healing (increased throughput) and also be of use should I choose to go shadow (which will eventually be my PVPing build, once i gear up for it).

Taking all into consideration, tailoring and enchanting and blacksmithing and mining I don't really wanna touch (although if the benefits are just worth it, I'll definitely go for it) since my mates have those already. Making money is a good extra but I'm more into getting the best benefits possible.

I've been interested in Jewelcrafting since it's something i'll be making some solid use of, and also provides a solid money income (burnt enough gold in tips lol...) but I have no clue what else could be of use in my case. Please share your ideas

Re: The choices of a profession

From what I can tell, if you want the "Best" combination, go with Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting. Use your extra belt, glove, and wrist sockets for your Dragon's eyes.
    My allies are my sword; I am their shield.

I took part in the RP Invasion, May 15, 2010

Best combo is BS and JC like Viking said. I personally have Tailoring and JC but that's me. Also if you have Alchemy it's useful for mixology and a money saver since flasks last longer. I'd definitely think bout dropping herbalism if you have an alt with it.

I used to be tailoring/mining when this was my alt.

However, since then I've had to make the same choice you did--selecting new profession paths that benefit my character. For a long time I was thinking of JC/BS. However, I ended up selecting JC/enchanting so I'd turn a little more profit (BS still relies on a gathering ability, enchanting is sorta self gathering). This way I can still gain a slight increase by using dragon gems in slots (16 sp x 3 = 48 (always using +sp gems, dragon eye 39 is 16 points higher than the normal +23 sp gem)) and having the ring enchant ability (23 sp x 2 = 46).

So with my profession (JC/enchant) I have a total increase of 94.
    If I decided to go JC/BS I'd have a total increase of 117.

If you're looking for pure increase JC/BS is the way to go, obviously. Not to mention you're not limited to just SP (like you are with the ring enchant), you could do dragon eye haste/spirit/crit/hit/etc gems as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jestible
    I used to be tailoring/mining when this was my alt.

However, since then I've had to make the same choice you did--selecting new profession paths that benefit my character. For a long time I was thinking of JC/BS. However, I ended up selecting JC/enchanting so I'd turn a little more profit (BS still relies on a gathering ability, enchanting is sorta self gathering). This way I can still gain a slight increase by using dragon gems in slots (16 sp x 3 = 48 (always using +sp gems, dragon eye 39 is 16 points higher than the normal +23 sp gem)) and having the ring enchant ability (23 sp x 2 = 46).

So with my profession (JC/enchant) I have a total increase of 94.
    If I decided to go JC/BS I'd have a total increase of 117.

If you're looking for pure increase JC/BS is the way to go, obviously. Not to mention you're not limited to just SP (like you are with the ring enchant), you could do dragon eye haste/spirit/crit/hit/etc gems as well.
    I'm indeed looking for pure throughput in both healing and later on shadow pvp, but blacksmithing wouldn't be something I'd go with since it's too heavy on mats to level, and my mate has it already which would be redundant/lame.

Enchanting is a pretty passive benefit i don't really wanna pass on, but I already have alchemy as it stands, although to be honest I have no idea how to actually make good use of it (efficient way of getting mats, how to manage it in general, quantities to make, and overall turning it into an active assest rather than a liability). Having some passive like jewelcrafting or enchanting is good too, since it's not a big worry, once you make the gems and put them in they're there till you change the gear.

I'm considering JC/Alch as it stands. Any other ideas?

15+ Year Old Account

I just love being Jewelcrafter/Engineer.

- I have 2x39 Spellpower and 1x34 Haste socketed in my main spec shadow gear, and Spellpower and 34 Int in my Healer gear, and 3x34 resilience in my pvp gear. I dig that you can always have exactly what you want in the bonus from the dragoneyes.
    - 340 Haste every 45 seconds for 10 seconds is awesome
    - For PVP, nothing beats shooting 45yards rockets from your hands to their faces
    - 27 sp is the best cloak "enchant" behind the tailoring only one
    - 250% runspeed for 5 seconds is awesome, plus 24 crit is the best foot "enchant" when hitcapped
    - frag bomb belts are fun and don't cost you a gcd (0,5 secs cast but can be thrown on the move and while you have gcd from other spells)
    - getting more mana from manapotions (through injectors) is awesome when needed
    - for PVP, you can have 45 stamina on the head, and be able to make enemies your pets (though sadly not in arena)

P.S. JC also makes a lot of money and I still hate that the megengineers chopper / mechano hog is so fucking expensive and NOT engineer-only (and therefore cheaper)

P.P.S. Leveling both without access to a mining char will be really expensive though. I think I've spent ~4k gold on leveling JC and engineering needs a lot of stuff too (I still had mining when I leveled that)
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Thanks for that post yo

I'll be dumping herb and getting JCing at the time being. I have a shaman as an alt which will be getting herb and mining as the starting proffs, I'll level the right ones up later on.

Overall I'm pretty positive herb must be dropped. Alch I kinda feel like it's a waste, and I've always been interested in Engineering since the start, though it's said to be a bit of a problem to level it lol

Tailor & Engineer are the top Profs right now.

Tailoring > Everything else > Gather Prof.

'Everything else' Are pretty much all on the same level.