Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Armory Scams, Blue posts, Free Character Moves

Resilience change in next expansion
    Resilience will fix it

Someone posted about the Armory scam a while ago on the forums, and lot of people just flamed the topic. Glad to see that it's being put to good use and on the main page to help prevent some other people getting hacked.

But google is my bookmarks folder!
    I wanna go back to my trainer and learn a new spell in the next expansion! And we all need to be able to fly from day 1 ! (And fly over the Exodar and Silvermoon on our own mounts!)

banned 5 times and still counting

"It is a searchable database for the wow..."

Scammer fail.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by blukkie
    In FireFox you can just type 'armory' in the URL bar, you will get to the real armory instantly.
    Gah. Stellarily bad advice there.

What if someone goes to a fake armory site enough times so that entry in FireFox quick entry bar thingy is pointy to a faker armory site ?

Also I find the advice to "just install <insert name addon> and you won't have to worry about googling the wrong one" bad as well as you're essentially relying on other people to update a scam site list.

Here's an idea for you.

Don't google the Armory at all.

You know the worldofwarcraft.com site is definitely owned by Blizzard right? (run a whois search if you're not sure)

Go there look at the top right hand side of that web page there'll be a set of 3 links.

Armory is the middle link in that set of links.

It's also at the top of every world of warcraft forums page.

No googling , firefox or unusually furry addons required.

Woops forgot to point this out as well guys :

If you are currently logged into the forums then you don't need to login into the Armory.

Blizzard just takes your cookie that tells your browser you are logged into the forums and uses that to log you into the Armory.

So if you've logged into the forums , you go to the PROPER armory and you click the login thingy up the top it automatically logs you in.

And no point should it ask you for your username and password if already logged into the forums.

Of course if your battle.net cookie has expired you will need to login again - at either a https://us.battle.net address or a https://eu.battle.net

These 2 domains are also owned by Blizzard - I've run a whois on both and both are owned by Blizzard Entertainment

"It is a searchable database for the wow..." I lul'd

I hope they have hit on that str ring, because I made gear choices in such a manner to accomodate for that.

Hooray for the strength ring!

Looks like google already deleted that ad? Doesn't show when I type "armory", at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Shïelds
    " We are still planning to add the strength ring in the next minor content patch. "

I think that's the proof of 3.4
    Wow Jeina, you fail <3

i think that add for the armory is down, or soon to be down.

Good to know about those scam sites. I didn't pay attention one day and thought it was the real one. (The real armory wouldn't load because after a format I forgot to set No Script in firefox to allow the real site) When I went to search, firefox stated that it was a malicious site and forwarded it in a report.

Upon searching google again it seems that another one has popped up, and further inspection is kind of lol as they mispelled warcraft and spelled it warcrnaft.

Can't wait for that str ring for dps to be patched in.

Quote Originally Posted by treem
    when u write "armory" on search bar of google.com the first link is SPONSORED BY GOOGLE and is a scam. i dunno why google sponsored such a thing...
    Money.

If you were dumb enough to click that then you pretty much deserve to get your acc hacked! "It is a searchable database of information for the wow ..." I mean look at that shit! Fine, maybe if you just searched and clicked without reading but if you did read that and still clicked it... /facepalm

Another way of knowing its a fake website is just look at the spelling and punctuality of the spelling, i just search wow armory to see what the fake ad looked like and its so funny how obvious it is, i wont post the link because some ppl with stupidly click it. but lets just say they cant even spell of its ot to them lol and as one person already pointed out "It is a searchable database for the wow..." thats just hilarious lol

As for that fake armory link, well...

Domain Name : armory-worldofwarcnaft.com
    PunnyCode : ARMORY-WORLDOFWARCNAFT.COM
    Creation Date : 2010-01-13 07:15:18
    Updated Date : 2010-01-13 07:15:18
    Expiration Date : 2011-01-13 07:15:16

Registrant:
    Organization : wu gou
    Name : wu gou
    Address : Bei JIn 1235
    City : Bei JIn
    Province/State : Gansu
    Postal Code : 452100

Administrative Contact:
    Phone Number : 86-010-22585452
    Fax : 86-010-22585452
    Email : 136883666@qq.com

Technical Contact:

Billing Contact:

Look at that China

Quote Originally Posted by treem
    when u write "armory" on search bar of google.com the first link is SPONSORED BY GOOGLE and is a scam. i dunno why google sponsored such a thing...
    "Sponsored By Google" means that the company paid Google to be put at the top of the list when certain search terms are used, instead of being at the top because of the usual search algorithm. It's a code term that essentially means "paid advertisement". Google's entire business model is in these advertisements. When you're looking for a site to purchase items from "Sponsored by Google" entries can be quite helpful, but when you are looking for information you should take them with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Erriq
    Look at that China
    I was about to say that as well. Almost all scam sites are from the Chinese. Seriously, just cut them off from the world and we'd be a lot safer. Major companies need to learn that the security risk of having Chinese and Russian players is just too great for their product, especially when it comes to games.

I work in the IT industry as a web developer for a university, and I'm hearing reports left and right of major companies and schools all blocking traffic from those countries (among others like Poland and many other South-East Asia countries) because hackers almost 99.9% of the time are from there. When will the world see that people from Russia or China just aren't good people? At least, they have a much higher concentration of bad people, that is. I think that Google and Blizzard should consider blocking traffic from those countries, and it'd make life a lot simpler. Or at least block advertising from them.

10+ Year Old Account

i just reported that site to google, no longer shows up in my searches, suggest everyone does the same. and buy an authenticator