Thread: Mage PvE FAQ

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm no pro, but after playing the only thing I can come up with is the fact that you're getting more crit. Which means more pyroblast's.

I get something different but i lose 2% crit from Swizzle's BiS.

its no big deal, the dps difference is minor but noticeable :P (if u trust rawr anyway)

I am so happy molten armor glyph isnt quite a must have anymore... I mean 2%+ crit how much diffrence would that make

For firemages though it could be good but arcane potency is much better in my opninion for now I mean as I already sayd before...

You next 2 damage spells get a 15% extra crit change after getting Clearcasting for all specs when you specced that talent

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starkilleralfa View Post
    I am so happy molten armor glyph isnt quite a must have anymore... I mean 2%+ crit how much diffrence would that make

For firemages though it could be good but arcane potency is much better in my opninion for now I mean as I already sayd before...

You next 2 damage spells get a 15% extra crit change after getting Clearcasting for all specs when you specced that talent
    ummm, what?
    BfA Beta Time

Swizzle, check my last post at page 19 n tell me what u think

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kinky31 View Post
    Swizzle, check my last post at page 19 n tell me what u think
    i thought i did, guess the forums don't really like me all that much this week. i asked can you provide a link/SS so i can check it?
    BfA Beta Time

your current bis: http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/6696/asdawm.png
    my bis: http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3140/adasdad.png
    check the dps scores.
    if u are not comfortable with the 16.99% hit u can use one more sp/hit gem and still have better score

15+ Year Old Account
    what are you gemming in red sockets for both specs? for me, it's 2 runed dragon's eyes (1 being in the eternal belt buckle) and the rest are potent ametrine. the results are different if you choose to gem with runed in red sockets though.
    BfA Beta Time

pure sp gems in red sockets in both cases. 2 runed dragon's eye at the belt (one of them at the buckle) and one at the boots, runed cardinals at the chest-back-wrists. as far as the yellow sockets are concerned, i use 3 veiled ametrines anywhere and the rest are potent. blue sockets remain purified dreadstones ofc
    Last edited by kinky31; 2010-07-22 at 12:48 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    switch to using potents in all sockets: all yellow, all red, and blue sockets that give less than 7 spellpower bonus and see what you get.
    BfA Beta Time

im getting less dps than before

I have a few questions about fire and when I hit 80.
    A. If there are two people that live longer than 12 seconds (like the worms in ToC10), should I keep living bomb up on both of them?

A2: And what if it is less than 12 seconds?

B. Is the AoE rotation of: Living bomb, Flamestrike highest rank, Flame Strike down ranked one, Blizzard correct? or should I be tab targeting living bomb and then doing the aoe?

C. Should I go frostfire or arcane when I first hit 80?

D. What should my opening rotation be (on a boss)? Mine currently is: Scorch, Combustion/cooldowns, Living bomb, Fireball, normal rotation

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brumak View Post
    I have a few questions about fire and when I hit 80.
    A. If there are two people that live longer than 12 seconds (like the worms in ToC10), should I keep living bomb up on both of them?

A2: And what if it is less than 12 seconds?

B. Is the AoE rotation of: Living bomb, Flamestrike highest rank, Flame Strike down ranked one, Blizzard correct? or should I be tab targeting living bomb and then doing the aoe?

C. Should I go frostfire or arcane when I first hit 80?

D. What should my opening rotation be (on a boss)? Mine currently is: Scorch, Combustion/cooldowns, Living bomb, Fireball, normal rotation
    A) yes, also see if you can get them tanked near one another for added LB cleave damage, though i'm well aware that it may be impossible in some cases.

A2) no.

B) spam living bomb on as much as you can than alternate flame strike ranks, never blizzard as TtW/fire.

C) i'd say arcane, simply because it is easier to gear for at the start and you will see higher returns on your investments quicker.

D) if you have affliction or demo locks, just drop scorch from your rotation.
    BfA Beta Time

How can arcane mage need only 8% hit from gear?? please explain me

Quote Originally Posted by Bdx View Post
    How can arcane mage need only 8% hit from gear?? please explain me
    Raid bosses are 3 lvl´s higher than you which means you need 17% hit to never miss them with spells(read the "wow wiki" article about hit if you want to know why).
    6% of the hit needed come from talents, namely "Arcane Focus" and "Precision" and 3% from the "Misery Debuff" so 17% - 9% = 8%hit needed from gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoOmbat View Post
    Raid bosses are 3 lvl´s higher than you which means you need 17% hit to never miss them with spells(read the "wow wiki" article about hit if you want to know why).
    6% of the hit needed come from talents, namely "Arcane Focus" and "Precision" and 3% from the "Misery Debuff" so 17% - 9% = 8%hit needed from gear.
    unless you're alliance which get an additional 1% hit so they only need 7%...assholes.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    unless you're alliance which get an additional 1% hit so they only need 7%...assholes.
    Nobody likes them anyway :>

i knowed everything except about misery and faery fire well, thanks for the answers. Yes i am Draenei :P

Quick question(fire mage when +hit buff avaliable, arcane when its not/no 3% buff in raid). Rawr for me is being buggy (telling me 2 gem ALL spellpower, in ALL slots, minus meta)

Now, after a quick playing around in my gear, and before i messed around some, im wondering if this would be an upgrade, and worth re-gemming.
    To switch ether soaked(reg) to bejeweled wizards and gem some hit.
    Now, heres the problem, if i gem 2 veiled ametrines, im literally two hit rating off.

BTW, im not at the point where i can gem 12sp/10crit, i read a thread a bit back saying ICCbuff+hitcap=fire>arcane.

Right now im siting at 43% crit(on the character sheet, not factioring in some talents, FM), 764 haste, 2817sp, muradins(reg), and abyssal rune as trinks.
    Last edited by Reinhard von Lohengramm; 2010-08-02 at 02:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Putricidegoodnews View Post
    Quick question(fire mage when +hit buff avaliable, arcane when its not/no 3% buff in raid). Rawr for me is being buggy (telling me 2 gem ALL spellpower, in ALL slots, minus meta)

Now, after a quick playing around in my gear, and before i messed around some, im wondering if this would be an upgrade, and worth re-gemming.
    To switch ether soaked(reg) to bejeweled wizards and gem some hit.
    Now, heres the problem, if i gem 2 veiled ametrines, im literally two hit rating off.

BTW, im not at the point where i can gem 12sp/10crit, i read a thread a bit back saying ICCbuff+hitcap=fire>arcane.

Right now im siting at 43% crit(on the character sheet, not factioring in some talents, FM), 764 haste, 2817sp, muradins(reg), and abyssal rune as trinks.
    Please link armory.

The Rawr thing sounds strange. Make sure to update it and set the settings right before running through the optimizer. And make sure to optimize "DPS rating", not "overall rating" or something else.

43% crit unbuffed sounds like a lot when comparing it to your low spell power and haste. I run on about 970 haste, 45% crit and 3350 sp unbuffed. As you can see, I have way more spell power in comparison to crit than you have. That might be why rawr is telling you what it's telling you.

1 hit rating undercap is the optimal amount. The BiS list does not include this, but if it was possible, having 13.99% chance to hit from gear would be optimal. 2 rating undercap shouldn't hurt your DPS too much. However, see if you can get some hit from a socket bonus or so. If you have lich wrappings for example it gives 4 hit rating as a socket bonus.

Having 23sp in all slots minus meta will never be optimal, seeing as you won't fill meta requirement then.