Thread: Mage PvE FAQ

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    He's saying that they're doing HLK and missing a holy pally.
    Their Uber DPS Shadowmoure retardin goes holy to fill the gap.
    And their second mage goes Arcane.
    It makes him sad.
    Well, in that case. Good choice on who to give Shadowmourne. But don't feel bad, the first member we gave Shadowmourne was a warrior who sold his account the same day he completed it. We then merged with another guild whose first Shadowmourne wielder has gone afk until Cataclysm. Just thought I'd share.

Anyway, to the point. Arcane magi should never be brought to a raid if there's an availible ret paladin. Same goes for elemental shamans if there's a warlock and moonkin.

lost our first 2 to social and ninjaxfer. third shadowmourne to a ret who is good and wont leave? not a bad thing

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sidphoenix View Post
    lost our first 2 to social and ninjaxfer. third shadowmourne to a ret who is good and wont leave? not a bad thing
    every healer who has gotten a valanyr from our guild (i think it's up to 5 now) has either quit or changed toons. i hate that weapon and i hope it burns in hell.
    BfA Beta Time

Can someone post a link to a 3.3.5 FrostFire and Arcane talent trees?

Quote Originally Posted by jca6129 View Post
    Iam just guessing, but is that what you want?
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jca6129 View Post
    there's an arcane tree on the first page. hell, even frostfire is on there.
    BfA Beta Time

Alright, so my guild moved into heroic icc25 a few weeks ago, and were starting our loot lists soon (this is our loot system, were we have 3 lists, first list for BQL, fester, rotface, halion, morrowgar, and gunship, second list for valithra, princes, saurfang and LadyDW, third list for putri, sind, halion HM and HLK, items go to priority off the lists, roll offs for ties) so now im wondering, what i should put down, i currently have not decided whether i should play fire or arcane yet, so my question is fire or arcane? and help on my lists

wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Staghelm&cn=Jothrazz&gn=Blighted is my armory

list 1) 1)Charred Twilight Scale 2)Frozen Bonespike 3)Corpse-Impailing Spike 4)Plauge Scientist Boots 5)Bracers of Fiery Night 6)Bloodqueens Crimson Choker 7)DFO 8) Plaguebringers stained pants 9)Loop of endless labrynth 10) Dying Light

list 2) 1)Frostbinder's shredded Cape 2)Shadowsilk spindle 3)The Lady's brittle bracers 4)Valanir's other signet ring 5)Greatcloak of the turned champion

list 3) 1) Rigortmortis 2)Potnml 3)Bloodsurge 4)Charred Twilight scale 5)Bracers of fiery night 6)Cloak of burning dusk

as well, i have full access to all heroic10 items, minus HLK weps. but those do not go onto loot lists.

/brofist
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    okay, i'm going to try a crazy new theory: i'm going to take my pants off and type this in the nude (shirts are for pussies in the first place). i will also type it slowly and in full capitalized letters so those with impaired vision can see it (though it will not be in caps, since i hold down the shift key HA).

well, as I ran it for a number of months, H dying light is the single largest upgrade you can get(better for arcane than fire), but with your gear fully stacked in 264BiS and a coupla nice 277s, Id say go fire and dont look back. Only fights I would consider arcane are saurfang and valithria while learning(your add damage can make a big difference there).

your trinkets are stacked already(H PtNL will be your biggest upgrade, but is probably a couple of months in the future).

cape upgrade will net you the most crit. H LDW bracers are good.

the lists look good overall, and you don't really need different sets for these fights, with the possible exception of H LK for mana consideration(crit spirit is nice there)

low priority should go to the marrowgar ring, unless you are really hit starved or ohers dont want it, as dropping one of the 2 277s you have already for it only reitemizes. If you are, then you can afford to lose some haste and pick up the 277 hit/crit chest off valithria.

basically as the sticky states: stay over 900 haste(800 if you are picking up a TON of crit and have very good latency). If you commit to fire, then regem reckless to potent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warsaw, Poland, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way
    Hey guys, I just got my mage to 80 yesterday and really liking the guide on the 1st page.
    However, none of the end-game mages could answer my question, and I hope you guys could answer it (actually 2 questions, one of which is way easier I think):
    Let's assume my mage will do no raids until he gets the best possible badge gear + crafts (ilvl 232+ in every slot, maybe except the trinkets). I already got Merlin's Robe, planning to get the bracers next, then the pants and boots since they're the most expensive. Assuming that, when I get all that gear I'm planning to, will 20/57 fire become viable? By viable I mean: not to go OOM on AoE while evocation/gem are on cooldown and do decent DPS? By decent I mean not miles, miles behind Arcane. I'm gonna play this mage mostly for fun (that is, before Cata hits, when I plan to play that mage as my main), and fire is way more fun than arcane. (note - last time I tried fire was just after I dinged 79. It failed)

And the easier question - are the 2p and 4p T9 bonuses good enough to get every 232 piece except the robe, or should I ignore it and just get higher ilvl gear for head slot (the 75 EoT one), shoulder slot (45 EoT) and legs (craft)?

My mage's armory If that helps.
    Last edited by _Khasim_; 2010-08-15 at 07:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze148 View Post
    One cannot simply walk into Mulgore...

so to answer the question about damage in raids at that gear level as fire.

sure fire can work-I ran it through ulduar and the beginning of ToC because that was the done thing. If you have crafted gear higher than 232 Id run it, but 4pc t9 is pretty nice for fire(5% crit is HUGE).
    of course you can be fully 251 geared in a couple weeks just running pug icc10s, and the t10 bonuses are even sweeter. Especially since most you will run with will have better gear than you, encounters will take less time than they were intended to: mana will not be an issue.

TL;DR:
    set bonuses good
    t10 best

t9 second best.

you'll be fine.

biggest reason you will hurt is arcane has huge uptimes on cooldowns in <3 minute fights.

15+ Year Old Account
    when you upgrade to 251+ and t10 gear, keep 2 pieces of t9 to equip before casting molten armor then switching out for normal gear.
    BfA Beta Time

we named him dranosh
    means no beta for Swizzle
    via haikus spam

just didnt know where to post it :3
    <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies guys, but I got another problem.
    I made this comparison in the wowhead tool, and with the 4 piece set bonus I have really low hit (9%). However, I get the magical 14% if I replace the robe with the set one and the shoulders with the emblem ones (I assume a boomkin and a shadowpriest in raid. 17% would be veery, very painful at this gear level). I can't make up for the lost hit with food + elixir alone, as they both give +40 hit and I lose 131 hit because of the robe + shoulders. Sadly, it looks like Merlin's Robe will be useless to a fire mage until I get an upgrade for other items.

What shold I do? Change something in the gear setup, enchant for hit, gem for it?
    Last edited by _Khasim_; 2010-08-16 at 07:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    here's a profile of the normal mode versions of the best gear you can get at that level without doing anything in ToGC or ICC.

Here ya go. You don't even have to worry about doing mad awesome DPS since that tier of content is a joke right now.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, but this includes gear from ToC, and I have 0% chance of getting into one, my realm's Horde population is very low and nobody runs those instances anymore, that's why I asked for heroic gear + crafts.
    So, my question is, if I have to give up Merlin's Robe for the hit cap, is it worth losing 90 haste and 66 crit? Or perhaps I should spec Frostfire before I get enough hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    when you upgrade to 251+ and t10 gear, keep 2 pieces of t9 to equip before casting molten armor then switching out for normal gear.
    ...I'm so late, never knew you could do that, thanks breh.

Is there an excel spreadsheets for mages? I don't like rawr at all :S

Hi. First of all, Sorry my bad english xP, i dont speak it very well but i'll do my best. So, Could someone inspect me on armory? i don't know if i did something wrong on my build or not. I double checked the talents and gear and compared them with the purpose of this FAQ, i saw that im below the hit cap and i dont know if all i need to do is only change gems to get it.
    How about haste? other mages with compatible gear as mine are always 1k+ haste rating.. On raids i usually get 8~9k DPS constantly per fight but my damage done sux. Is this a good score for my actual gear/talents build? what i can do to improve my performance? i have fingers, im just kinda lost with the way my mage is upgrading.

Thanks

---------- Post added 2010-08-25 at 03:35 PM ----------

I forgot to say...

My character name on Armory is Quilian from Warsong.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilian View Post
    Hi. First of all, Sorry my bad english xP, i dont speak it very well but i'll do my best. So, Could someone inspect me on armory? i don't know if i did something wrong on my build or not. I double checked the talents and gear and compared them with the purpose of this FAQ, i saw that im below the hit cap and i dont know if all i need to do is only change gems to get it.
    How about haste? other mages with compatible gear as mine are always 1k+ haste rating.. On raids i usually get 8~9k DPS constantly per fight but my damage done sux. Is this a good score for my actual gear/talents build? what i can do to improve my performance? i have fingers, im just kinda lost with the way my mage is upgrading.

Thanks

---------- Post added 2010-08-25 at 03:35 PM ----------

I forgot to say...

My character name on Armory is Quilian from Warsong.
    Bad trinket is bad, I would drop the INT trinket and try to obtain a DFO, Ruby Sanctum trinket, heck, I would even take and abyssal rune over that trinket. Gemming/enchanting looks alright. I do see a few more fire-ish pieces in there, gear with hit/crit/SP isn't fully optimized for arcane. Based on the gearing however, you might be able to pull better numbers rolling fire in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothopti View Post
    Bad trinket is bad, I would drop the INT trinket and try to obtain a DFO, Ruby Sanctum trinket, heck, I would even take and abyssal rune over that trinket. Gemming/enchanting looks alright. I do see a few more fire-ish pieces in there, gear with hit/crit/SP isn't fully optimized for arcane. Based on the gearing however, you might be able to pull better numbers rolling fire in my opinion.
    Yep. It is!! This Int trinket sux a lot.. im trying to get DFO because my guild is not raiding RS yet. I did some math with abyssal rune on rawr and maybe it could be better than this one i m using... I respec'd my frost talents into fire.. im doing more math right now to know what i have to change to run as a fire mage... (Note: i tried it 2 weeks ago.. i didnt got good results xD, but i'll try again.. maybe i was doing something wrong.. i dunno..)

Thx for help, i ll be checking here for any tips u guys want to post =)