Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: Quick disci priest question

Quote Originally Posted by Weena2
    What i don't get is why people would bring a disc priest...to Gheal. Maybe some of your guilds bring friends and people they know and let them do whatever they want. I know for a fact that more 'hardcore' guilds bring disc priests to raid PW:S, while throwing out some heals if needed here and there. Most higher end guilds would probably agree on the fact that you bring holy paladins to tank heal, resto druids to raid heal, disc priests to raid bubble/heal and resto shamans to raid heal and/or tank heal.

I actualy don't even know why i am aruging, some of you are so hell-bent on trying to prove disc priests should heal with gheal its not worth it.
    My priest belongs to a casual guild, where there might NOT always be a healadin in 25m raid. Also, I heal tanks most of the time in a 10m raid group. That means I can cast GH freely without worrying being sniped if I want. So in my case, I actually utilize GH with BH along FH, penance and shields on tank.

Also, I dont know if you lots actually read the posts in this thread or not. A disc priest aiming for high haste rating not to spam GH, but to make it viable in certain situations. Some even claim removing GH completely from their action bar - you only gimped yourself with your stubonnes

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Contrivez
    I'm disregarding your reply to this thread because you used the word GH.

What is GH?

For any priest who lurks this thread, greater heal isn't really a spell.

It's more like a joke.

Don't use this spell. Ever.
    If you don't want to use Gheal, don't get past 11% haste.

If your going to use it when the situation arises like some of us, you can go past that. Sure, it's not mana efficiant, but with Borrowed time I can get it down to a 1.6 cast. It's nice in some spots.

So I tried to read all posts and 4 cigarettes and 1 tylenol later I came up with a quick summary of this topic

To OP : Throughput stats are of greater value to disci because of the Int-based reg because of skills and higher manapool. Haste is a stats that always inceases throughput while Crit is still RNG based but shouldn't be disregarded because of DA uptime. (25% holy crit as a min)

However: Greater ilvl items may balance out a loss of Crit/haste because of Mp5/Spirit (lvl 264 Crit/spirit may be better then lvl 226 Crit/haste)

To derailed GH/FH/PW:S thread : At high ilvl GH becomes more effecitive then FH in Heal/sec and (disregarding manacost) MAY help increase throghput

However : There are many different opinion regarding the true role of a disci in raids.

Fraction 1 : The PW:S spammers
    In high-end content the value of the disci lies in the increasing of the hp-pool of the entire raid. With able Healers on both the tanks(pala as an example) and the raid (Druid,Holy,Shaman) their role is to buffer incoming damage with a preemtive Shield and possibly a second one due to the expiration of the debuff. They refuse to use GH not because it is not efficient but because GCDs should not be used for a bigger longer heal but instead a quick filler like FH or penance until the other heals land.

Fraction 2 : The "I can heal too" Fraction
    The main problem I can see here is that the analysis of the Skills is based to much around numbers. Sure GH will heal more than FH at high haste and sure with BT FH is below the GCD but if a target loses 6k is it better to heal those in 1 sec or in 1.6? In some raids however a discis role is not to just shielding but also healing. This may bea a PuG, a 10man with 2 healers or a 25 with some not so capable Tank/Raid healers. Here the value of true heals moves up in the priority and Gh WILL be more efficient then FH because there are many HP deficits that may not be healed by the others.

I hope I didnt't miss anything or interprit something wrong

If I may interject here.

I've read through this entire thread wth great interest. My guild is primally a social guild but we have a strong informal 10 man team. And we do quite well. Not incredible, but we are progressing at a nice constant comfortable pace. Normally our 10 man team lacks a Holy Pally, so as the only Disc preist we have, I am often put on tank duty. And that is fine by me. Quick back story. I raided as Holy for nearly 2 years? And became quite adept at the class. I joined this guild a little while ago, and as they already had a nicely geared established Holy Priest, I thought it would be best to respec Disc, and I have to say, I enjoy Discipline so much more then Holy. Watching somebody take a wrong Orb in HC Twins and it not even register on their HP bar brings my Healer team and I immense joy.

Anyway. As Holy I was very very well geared, among the best on my server, but obviously, I totally understand and accept the different stat requirements . But this thread has me confused and I require some clarification. So I will link my Armory here.

Disclaimer - Before I do, I know that some of my gemming may be wrong, and my gear may be wrong too, remember, I recently respecced from Holy, and as I perform well in my current gear, I pass on most gear because it benefits our other members first. Also, before I do, I want to be totally sure on what stats to stack at my current gear level. A lot of info comes from all spectrums of Gear levels, so it left me a little confused as to how to gear from here on in. So don't flame me. I'm neither a newb or an idiot. Just want another experienced Disc Priest for a little guidance.

My Armory is - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...&gn=Deathwatch

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As for the GH spec. I read with some interest. I might check that out.

Many thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    That said, I'm going to bed. Having a conversation in this context with someone with an avatar alluding to heroine use is just odd.

I don’t really understand why GH would be an issue and why what Harky and others told in previous posts is shoking in any manner? Does GH casting mean you become a paly? Does this mean that you can solo heal a tank in 25man? (not speaking about 10man where a disc can handle damages dealt on tanks). Nobody told that. Nobody told you should GH spam during a fight on a dedicated tank.

Rising haste and taking DF 5/5 just allow you to use GH spell which is a huge difference. If you stick to low haste rate and no DF points then you won’t cast any GH at all, period. I agree this is a personal playstyle choice, no discussion on that.

I would just like to remind you that disc is all about ‘OCRAP’ moments and damage anticipation and mitigation.

PW:S spamming should not necessarily be done in any situation. This is not like if you were shielding group 1 then move to group 2 ending up with group 5 and then back to group1 within the raid encounter. Shielding should be done when massive predictable damages income, on the most fragile classes in the pool, or also granting some more seconds to a dps to escape safely from a damage zone or whatsoever.

Then the best slot we can reach within a healer team is single target burst, which is probably the best one in the game. When it comes to a DPS emergency situation then disc is probably one of the best spec for saving the day. PW:S > PoM (if up) > penance (if up) > FH is fairly enough to heal the player.

But OCRAPs occur pretty much often, and not only in the dps team. Tanks are facing tons of those situations, when their healers are controlled or more generally not as available as they usually are or when the boss is punching so hard than massive overhealing is required. And if during those periods you are just acting like it was a DPS taking some damages then you fail. Hoping a FH would be helpful for solving 30k hits issues, counting on 5-10s dodge or blocking from the tank (very funny assumption I’ve read) is just not reliable.

I would guess people saying FH cycle is enough for those moments are just not aware of the fact they probably did not make anything significant and they should thank the other healers for having done what they can’t.

Playing in 25 man, my first heal is PW:S by far. But still by the end of the evening I have something like 1 GH for 3 FH casted. FH is one of my biggests healing spells, but still I can use GH when significant tank support is required. What is the problem with that??

Quote Originally Posted by darklenne
    My Armory is - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...&gn=Deathwatch

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As for the GH spec. I read with some interest. I might check that out.

Many thanks.
    Spell power is optimal, even more than needed considering the level of your gear.

Haste is fine too, I'd suggest dropping the 23sp gems to the 12sp 10 crit gems, considerind you sit at 26% HCrit wich is rather low, crit is the most important stat for a Disc priest on pair with SP.

Don't bother about getting rid of Spirit/Int gems or loose Stamina+Intellect+Spirit(or MP5) and only 2 effective stats items to ones with Stamina+Intellect and all of the 3 stats, SP/Haste/Crit, like your offhand, you don't run the risk of going OOM.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    Plus PW:S -> Penance -> GH is indeed, the best burst heal in the game.
    Lay on Hands. Just sayin'.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    Spell power is optimal, even more than needed considering the level of your gear.

Haste is fine too, I'd suggest dropping the 23sp gems to the 12sp 10 crit gems, considerind you sit at 26% HCrit wich is rather low, crit is the most important stat for a Disc priest on pair with SP.

Don't bother about getting rid of Spirit/Int gems or loose Stamina+Intellect+Spirit(or MP5) and only 2 effective stats items to ones with Stamina+Intellect and all of the 3 stats, SP/Haste/Crit, like your offhand, you don't run the risk of going OOM.
    Thank you. So you advise me to replace most if not all of my +23 SP for 12 SP, +10 crit gems? I can certainly do that. I have more then enough SP? Cool.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, I should aim for gear that has Stam and Int as main stats, and then Haste, Crit and SP as Green ones?

I'm trying to avoid items that just give SP and Haste, but give spirit (Ie, Maghari Cheiftans Staff from Saurfang) because I know I need the crit. It feels low, you know?

So. I'll try to aim for those three stats. What is a good amount of crit to aim for? After I hit that cap, providing I haven't sacrificed too much Haste I should aim for SP again?

Also, regarding my technique. I'm fairly new to disc and still consider myself a learner. I try to avoid Shield Spamming unless the fight requires it. Ie, Twins, Fester, and even Saurfang, (our last kill, he only got to 52 BP, and no marks. before he died) and our raid owes that to my shields. If I sheild spam and they don;t get used, as you know they cost me mana. If they do, they return mana. I only use shields when I know damage is coming on a "standard" fight. IE, Disease on Rotface... Normally, since I'm on tank duty, I seem to be OK, (with a little help now and then) keeping the bosses target up. Shield, penance, Flash ftw. I of course help out on the raid too. A sheild on the tank gives me a good few GCD's to help with raid healing.

But I still appear to be getting pretty low numbers. Recountguessedadsorbs tells me I could use anywhere up to 500 shields on a very busy fight like Fester or Twins. And it will also tell me I have absorbed anywhere up to 1.5 million damage. It also estimates a HPS value of that to around 4.5k.That can't be true can it? If that is the case do I add that to my other HPS value from the healing meter to get my true healing done? Or is there a addon that is more specific?

Again. Thank you for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    That said, I'm going to bed. Having a conversation in this context with someone with an avatar alluding to heroine use is just odd.

Don't gem crit. That is bad advise. The only time you might remotely consider gemming crit is if you were under about 20% holy crit. Not base crit, holy crit. Even then it is a bad stat in general. Yes, Disc likes crit a lot more than any other healer. It's still low priority and the crit available on gear is more than enough. The conversion rate on crit from gems is terrible and crit in general is nowhere near as good as SP is. Maybe half as good? Probably less.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll
    revitalize ur bad if you dont rotate gheal into your rotation anymore
    Yea bro, sorry Im bad because I realize disc priests arent supposed to be tank healers.
    If you're tank healing, you're gimping your classes potential.
    You dont just sit there GHealing a tank.
    That's terrible.
    Any high end priest disc priest can agree with me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Is it reliable to do more than once a fight? No, plus this combo can be effectively done every 8s while you can only do LoH once per paladin per fight.

What is the lowest possible CD for it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize
    Yea bro, sorry Im bad because I realize disc priests arent supposed to be tank healers.
    That's terrible.
    Seriously, can you read? The only time when someone mentions a Disc Priest tank healing is 10 man raids where the odds of having a healin is pretty low. Every other time when Disc priest GH build is brought up(90% of the GH topic) is when we're talking about a more raid oriented healing style.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    It doesn't happen often, but an 84k crit ain't half bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize
    That's terrible.
    No one is saying that GHeal users just sit there and heal the tank in normal situations. But if a person is dying, and you have BT available why would you not use a 1.5-1.6 second GH? its better then the person dying imo

This is just unbelievable how bad people can read posts... If you are not capable of properly understand what is said then don't feel forced to answer. Nobody spoke about a tank healing spec with GH cast. Heal support but not main healing. Read again (or not)