Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: discipline priest underestimated in raids

those 15secs will be gone, after shielding 25 people 8>

Install Skada, it's a damage meter like recount except that you can display healing + absorbs.
    Great addon 10 times better than my good old recount.

Quote Originally Posted by Trample
    Install Skada, it's a damage meter like recount except that you can display healing + absorbs.
    Great addon 10 times better than my good old recount.
    Personally I have found Skadas absorb values to be a bit off and prefer to use the GuessedAbsorbs plugin for Recount instead. Though it was some months since I used Skada last, it might be better now... I dunno!

One big plus for Skada though is that it looks much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaena
    Yes correct of course. To clarify, the debuff on the target still persists and I believe it is the same 15 seconds for all specs (though may be reduced by specific set bonuses). Just remarking that you can cast it in succession on multiple targets. As well, the act of shielding somebody as discipline frees up your assumed prot pally from needing to cast BoSanctuary on the raid...unless you die habitually.

Does anybody know exactly how World of Logs absorbs (counted as healign) works? Does it use how much is actually absorbed?

The current absorb trackers tend to be pretty accurate if there's 1 disc priest. On fights with weird mechanics or where there is more than 1 disc priest I wouldn't call them 100% accurate. (Ex. of fight with weird mechanic would be twin valkyr where people are constantly absorbing damage).

To be honest, I haven't seen this problem for ages. I guess I might just be on a pretty good server (albeit one that's pretty much filled with arseholes), but I really haven't seen this since the early days of 3.1.

But yeah, it used to be a big pain. My best advice would be to get Skada or GuessedAbsorbs for Recount, it tends to shut people up (although you'd be surprised how many people haven't heard of Skada and as such doesn't believe it :'( ).

Disc priests OWN both PvP and PvE...
    The Damage Reduction is HUGE...
    Saurfang didnt got passed 30 Bloodrage before we killed him with 2 Disc priests and a shaman as healers... all i have to say about Disc Priests they are A-W-E-S-O-M-E...

Deleted

When im making an ICC25, i am ALWAYS including a disc priest, because of the buff they deliver. They are as usefull as shamans imo.

In a 25 Man I don't know a reason not to have one, in a 10 Man it mostly is not that way.

Because in a 2 Healer Setup i'd rather chose a Druid and a Paladin, but thats just my personal beliefs.

Not saying that Disc would be not as good as the beforementioned Healers, but People tend to stick to what combinations they like most.

3 Healer Setup again, why not ?

I'm healing as Discipline. I'm Shadow as main, but at rare occassions I'm healing.
    I mostly heal in DPS gear. I'm hit capped in my healing,
    but none the less, it's good.
    Whenever I heal, I'm always lowest although I'm burning my mana.
    I've tried to explain why I'm low.
    It doesn't count my absorbs and Dmg reduction.
    So I know exactly how it feels when they don't think your healing is sufficient enough <.<

Sadly people seem to get the idea; that the logs are the be all and end all of how a healer performs. If a raid leader is so inexperienced as to not invite you based on being a disc priest, that is a raid i'd rather not be in....

I am the worst rogue on my server, but lest I am having fun .

Quote Originally Posted by Devdan
    In a 25 Man I don't know a reason not to have one, in a 10 Man it mostly is not that way.

Because in a 2 Healer Setup i'd rather chose a Druid and a Paladin, but thats just my personal beliefs.

Not saying that Disc would be not as good as the beforementioned Healers, but People tend to stick to what combinations they like most.

3 Healer Setup again, why not ?
    I cant disagree more. I've been running with 2 healers in a 10man often, where I am the discipline priest, healing next to a good paladin. We have gotten tribute to insanity, even done the Blood Queen 10 man with the crazy aoe dmg with just the 2 of us. Discipline is VERY powerful in capable hands. It is however not an 'easy' healing class to play. Much diversity in the form of flash heal, greater heal, binding heal, prayer of mending, penance, shielding, and PoH. A powerful disc priest will use all of these spells in the right moments, and if there is ANY time you are not doing anything, you should be shielding a raid member instead. I always keep weakened soul debuff on every raidmember in our 10mans, I cant count the amount of times my shields have saved people, or the raid. I've got my gear perfectly balanced with stacking sp and enough int to never go fully oom before the end of a bossfight. I'm usually pretty close to ooming though, which in my opinion is a sign I've been doing something usefull. A shield not absorbed on a dps? Who cares, you just gave that dps a 8-10k extra HP buff for 20 seconds. And that's how you should see it, a disc priest increases raid survivability by a tremendous amount.

To give you an idea for some disc priest WoL logs:

This is our 25man Blood Princes kill with me as disc: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-pv...?s=4907&e=5257

Note specifically my activity; its practically 100 %, I NEVER stop casting.

This is one of our 25man Blood Queen tries: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-pv...?s=7324&e=7451

Here you can see I hit 9k HPS as a disc priest. They are powerful. If any raidleader claims otherwise, show them some logs.

Once again, this leads to healmeter issues :s Playing disc from the very beginning, I only lately faced the problem mentionned by the OP because I was GM of our small guild and so I trained my mates meeting the spec .

However, when I finally decided to go to a theoricaaly "good guild" on my realm, it just strocke me that noone had actually a clue what the spec was. Unfortunately they had good paladins who loved their numbers and spammed the raid channel with recount (which I hated). Then as a newcomer, I had to spamm recount guessed absorbs as well to prove I was there as well...

It took them 2 months to take absorbs into account but before that, palies and drood were saying that if we took absorb for healing, then overhealing should also be considered... No I moved in a better guild where the RL is a shadow priest, disc offspeced so now it's fine

Well, I forgot to specify in the Post that its my experience on my Server, sadly most discipline Priests on my Server do suck.

Yes I tried it with them, but mostly their performance in the first Quarter of Icecrown wasn't really that great whereas Marrowgar is a fight in which Discipline can shine.

Again this isn't an issue of the class itself, its just People sucking at playing that Specc on my Server.

People also wonder why other people continuously post the same exact thread, with a different tittle every week. We have heard this all before, I bet by Friday there will be another disc priests have low HPS because we use shields and mitigate damage, QQ why do people hate me thread. Can you spare us another one in the future, if I wanted to read this, I would have scrolled down to the bottom of page one on the priest forums, or gone back a page or two and dug one up. If a raid leader won't invite you because of your low hps, then guess what, you probably don't want to be with a raid leader that doesn't understand simple class mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk
    I used to raid disc so i know how it works and have recount guess absorbs.

That being said there are so many disc priests that are bad and use the absorbs as a crutch when they should be capable of 2-3k hps and 2-3k absorbs on any fight if they are geared. Sadly many underperform this.
    2-3k absorbs?

My shields absorbs for 7.5k or so.

2k hps is np at all

But going 3-4k will reduce my shield spam by quite a lot. Which is the main reason for me to even be in the raid Oo.

Edit: My hps is from recount, as in not counting the actual amount of PW:S which is shown in Choeb's worldoflogs top of this page ^

Prayer of mending plus glyph of pw:s should be more than 1k hps

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood888
    People also wonder why other people continuously post the same exact thread, with a different tittle every week. We have heard this all before, I bet by Friday there will be another disc priests have low HPS because we use shields and mitigate damage, QQ why do people hate me thread. Can you spare us another one in the future, if I wanted to read this, I would have scrolled down to the bottom of page one on the priest forums, or gone back a page or two and dug one up. If a raid leader won't invite you because of your low hps, then guess what, you probably don't want to be with a raid leader that doesn't understand simple class mechanics.
    So then don't read the freaking post, you twat! Geeze.

Personally, these threads wouldn't be in such majority if the community would get their heads out of their BC healing asses and realize that healing an encounter is not just about spamming your big heal button over and over again.

Mechanics changed with the implementation of a new healing spec, but people still think disc is for arenas and nothing else. Mostly because raid leaders are still thinking "HPS = gud healz cuz DPS = gud DPS".

If we don't make posts to educate others, then the posts will never end.

OP, tell your raid leader to download Skada and look at the "effective healing and absorbs" portion when judging your effectiveness in a raid environment. I guarantee that if you are playing your spec properly, you will be top 2-3 in that category in 25-mans for most fights that involve raid bubbling (primarily Saurfang, Twin Valks, AA, ect).

If he still thinks you're bad, find a guild that isn't run by retards.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

I skimmed so I hope this wasn't said already, but if someone complains or you're self conscience about it, tell them to take the healing from your (I assume) glyphed PW:S and multiply it by 5, then add that to your total healing.

i raid as disc all the time and i have an addon shieldmonitor, when you bubble yourself it shows how much dmg it will absorb, in 25 man raids my bubbles absorb 8k+, not including my sp procs from ring / trinket

Fail meter junkies are fail, be it healing done or guessed absorbs.

Take for example the one linked at top of page, if you look at the breakdown his penance usage is terrible and he doesn't keep up inspiration on tanks...

Priest has a master bag of tricks, pre snipe shield spamming doesn't make a good healer.

I find this very common, unskilled priests thinking shield spamming and getting great absorb meters makes them good in some way.