Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cataclysm idea for Lightwell

I will be more then happy if the redesign lolwell to first healing pet. I can think of two variants:
    1. temporary pet: You place a Lighwell in place and you get pet bar for it with two-three skills. Something like water elemental for mages. Last about 45 seconds with 3-4 minutes cooldown. Immobile.
    2. permanent pet: Using some kind of resource to fuel it's heals. For example it can use charges as resource. Some weaker spells can grant charges, the more powerful skills reduce number of charges. Mana or cooldowns will be fine too.

As for skills it could be some very simple like direct heals, hots or it could be some kind of utility (granting buffs that increase your spells, moving your ProM to another target, some kind of switfmend for renew).

What you guys think of that ?

Re: Cataclysm idea for Lightwell

Nice idea, but im a little doubtful about the permanent pet.
    How big are the heals you are talking about?

That would be terrible. I can't see anyway that relates to the current state of Holy Priests or how they fit in at all.
    Has opinions about stuff.
    Character - Danrar (Forever Holy Priest)

Quote Originally Posted by Millennía
    Nice idea, but im a little doubtful about the permanent pet.
    How big are the heals you are talking about?
    I think that permanent pet will be too much for 1 talent point. so to keep it simple: 45 second immobile pet with two skills: one direct heal about 2/3 of Flash heal (can be autocasted) 2 sec CD, and some kind of group targeted AoE heal for about the same value as CoH and 10-12 sec CD.

As for fitting the state of holy priests: We don't know what that role gonna be in Cataclysm. Talent trees will be redesigned, and i saw some blue posts about making healing more fun. And this idea for me is more fun then talent that i either skip or spend my life trying to convince people to click on it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by exeq
    I think that permanent pet will be too much for 1 talent point. so to keep it simple: 45 second immobile pet with two skills: one direct heal about 2/3 of Flash heal (can be autocasted) 2 sec CD, and some kind of group targeted AoE heal for about the same value as CoH and 10-12 sec CD.

As for fitting the state of holy priests: We don't know what that role gonna be in Cataclysm. Talent trees will be redesigned, and i saw some blue posts about making healing more fun. And this idea for me is more fun then talent that i either skip or spend my life trying to convince people to click on it. :P
    not sure I like the aoe-heal being as powerful as a CoH, at least not if it scales with gear.
    however, I'd like the flash heal spell to be increased if the target has your renew on it. not sure I'd like it as a pet rather than a guardian though, both would be fine with me.

Lightwell doesn't need to be a pet. The second you make it a pet, it has to have its own (usually -bad-) AI. There would be so many problems with this AI, it would be laughed at (I mean, Shadowfiends -still- can't stick to targets properly). Now you want -them- to group target AoE?

Then it would have to outpace Divine Hymn as a cooldown, by healing for more (or costing less mana), to make it worth spending the point. But then you get to the point that there's no need for Holy Priests to have another cooldown.

If it's not a cooldown, (i.e. if it's permanent) Holy Priests would have to have their output nerfed so that we're still "where we belong," even if you don't take the pet. :

Only three things need to happen to Lightwell:
    • The range you can click on it is increased
    • Using a Lightwell Renew charge no longer removes your current target
    • Lightwell is now trainable at level 40, but disappears upon death (like it already does) or entering Shadowform.
    Then we get a new talent point to take its place, every Discipline Priest and Holy Priest automatically has it so Blizz can say "see, we told you it was an awesome spell!" and it can possibly see more use on more encounters.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

well doesn't fit holy priests at all,but i like the idea.

and what i think about the utility pet should have is next....

3 spells,flash heal,HoT, and Aoe heal

and all spells should be toggled ,so u cannot use all ,just one u choose ,and the pet will heal with it all the time

so you toggle lets say aoe,and the pet will automatically cast aoe all the time.
    And yeah,heals should be like 1/3 of priest spell power

people are not going to click lolwell even if the range is 200 yards, personally... I actually can't think of an idea to fix it, removing it seems to be the best idea.

I'm usually a guy of creative and pretty good ideas, but I really can't see how light well could possible be a good spell, unless it auto casts it's spells, in which case it would be a stupid spell.

Ooh! I have one!

Every direct healing spell you cast is also split over the closest three people within a 10 yard radius of the lighwell.

But I can't figure out what the cooldown would have to be... no cooldown and long duration like bacon of light, or high cooldown and low duration like spirit link.

30 second (60 glyphed) duration and no cooldown seems fitting. This would make it kind of a priests version of bacon of light.
    I just got what Falric is talking about in HoR.
    Men, women and children... None were spared the master's wrath.
    Despair... so delicious...
    Fear... so exhilarating...
    Clearly, he was referring to the cataclysm class previews.

Quote Originally Posted by zixi
    well doesn't fit holy priests at all,but i like the idea.

and what i think about the utility pet should have is next....

3 spells,flash heal,HoT, and Aoe heal

and all spells should be toggled ,so u cannot use all ,just one u choose ,and the pet will heal with it all the time

so you toggle lets say aoe,and the pet will automatically cast aoe all the time.
    And yeah,heals should be like 1/3 of priest spell power
    I like this one as well
    I just got what Falric is talking about in HoR.
    Men, women and children... None were spared the master's wrath.
    Despair... so delicious...
    Fear... so exhilarating...
    Clearly, he was referring to the cataclysm class previews.

Tbh I kinda like how it is now except for the fact that its so frustrating for dps to use that they simply don't.

I think to solve this problem it should have the charges and duration remain but act similar to a totem. You can "pull it in" which instantly cuts whatever the cooldown was in half so you can make sure you have it available on the next pull.

And as you suggested increase the "click" range and allow it to be done without dropping target. OR make it similar to the ToC5 "lightwell" in that it simply tosses out healing to the lowest health people every so often (maybe every 5 seconds?) for 3 minutes. Or perhaps if that's OP give it like 20-30 "heals" so it lasts 3 minutes OR til it expends its charges. Though that would move away from blizzard's plan of having charges on things. They have charges on some things as a balance thing.

I stopped playing holy on my priest because lightwell was such a good talent... but practically useless because noone would actually use it. Other than that it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifra
    people are not going to click lolwell even if the range is 200 yards, personally... I actually can't think of an idea to fix it, removing it seems to be the best idea.
    The second it no longer removes your target, and it's actually visible on their screen, you can guarantee some will. Those some will live through the next "Tantrum" heavy raid damage idea, and everyone else will wonder why they died.

Every direct healing spell you cast is also split over the closest three people within a 10 yard radius of the lighwell.
    I like this. I like this one alot.

Enough with the "pets". We don't need it. Make Lightwell fun, a glowing ball following you around casting heals for you isn't fun. Priests are also not a pet class. We don't need it.

make it similar to the ToC5 "lightwell" in that it simply tosses out healing to the lowest health people every so often (maybe every 5 seconds?) for 3 minutes
    And that would be so overpowered, it's not even funny.

i really like this idea, it actually gives it a use and will give a better distinction between discipline and holy that ive always bugged myself on (all other speccs and classes you can tell a difference on very fast but not on this)

Thanks to Stanton Biston for the amazing sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Enough with the "pets". We don't need it. Make Lightwell fun, a glowing ball following you around casting heals for you isn't fun. Priests are also not a pet class. We don't need it.
    The pet idea was rather the control mechanic then pet. It will be still immobile, Cannot attack anything. Just instead of someone clicking it you have pet bar to do the job.

I will be more then happy with the change that i have a pet bar for it and can place "lighwell renew" (current effect) on targeted party/raid member within 15-30y of the Lightwell.

But i agree that it can't be too complicated being mid tier talent.

The only possible way I can imagine trading in Lightwell for a pet would be if it was a pet that could be stuck to one target, chaincasting Flash Heal-equivalent spells on that target for a set amount of time (10-15 seconds) as an extra emergency cooldown in case something enrages, someone gets a nasty debuff, etc. etc.9

But I agree with Kelesti, I really don't like the idea of a healing pet. Not only would if be pretty annoying to control (dps pets are different, you tend to stick them to one target and let the AI do the job), but I feel like healing is something that takes time and devotion to control. There shouldn't be any 'light beasts' that could just pop forth and work our magic.

I essentially agree with the suggestion that it's click-range is increased and that using it won't remove that player's target. But I would like for it to have an instant effect rather than a heal-over-time effect. Part of why some people refuse to use Lightwell (even if losing their target doesn't hurt much) is because they have a tendency to use it when the effect is cancelled after two seconds either way.

Or, as Kelesti suggested, improve it a tiny bit and make it trainable at level 40 or something like that.

10+ Year Old Account

TBH it would be more usefull if it was like the priests lightwell in TOC

but i do like it currently becaus ei can stand next to one and lifetap to my hearts content :P

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef
    ^ This

But i would rather see Holy paladin get it, since they lack healing spells..

Quote Originally Posted by Zpot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef
    ^ This
    This is bad. :P One of the worst ideas, evar.

But i would rather see Holy paladin get it, since they lack healing spells..
    That's been their state of the game. They had Blessings that they spammed, and they had Cleanse to spam harder (which old school decursive did it for you?). TBC they actually got to use their heal spells, but they only really had 2 1/2.

Now they have 4 1/2 (sort of). I'm sure they'll get some cool things in Cataclysm as well, but I'm also sure that they won't take what they deem as the "iconic holy priest spell" and give it to Paladins (despite it being a failure of a point since its inception).

What you really need is a new Light Well icon....

Wait a minute, this isn't the shaman forums?

Seriously though, i'm for any buff to lightwell that makes it viable.

*edit idea--- Speaking of Shaman what about a mana tide like effect, but for health and placeable where you want it in a certain range.*
    Is this where the header goes?

Lightwell Rank 6
    17% of base mana 40 yd range
    0.5 sec cast 3 min cooldown

Creates a Holy Lightwell. Members of your raid or party which health goes under (30%?) the Lightwell restore [4620 * ] health over 6 sec. Attacks done to you equal to 30% of your total health will cancel the effect. Lightwell lasts for 3 min or 10 charges.

thoughts?

I'd use lightwell if it were to ever be in range of me for once, and it didn't require me to lose my target. Why can't I just click it and get the buff (I guess for PVP reasons)?