Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Cataclysm idea for Lightwell

It could be like the Lolwell from ToC 5 trash. Shooting little balls of light at people.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If someone could transform Satan's anus into a potent powder, I would totally snort it.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Figoment
    It could be like the Lolwell from ToC 5 trash. Shooting little balls of light at people.
    You are the fifth person in this thread to give this idea.

GC already stated the ToC Lightwell won't happen. "Priests have enough smart heals".

Problem is... priests have enough heals. I personally think liberal use of the delete button would solve the lightwell issue. Remove the spell, offer no replacement. I don't think many people would notice.

If we are to get a new ability, it would need to be a glyph style talent, enhancing a current ability. Our major issue is that GHeal is too slow and too expensive. Fix that somehow and I'm sure many priests would take it.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I think having it as a ritual would be fun, taking 3 people to summon it ;-)

Personally I prefer the idea of making it pulsate a location based aura, not sure what kind of aura though. The mini beacon of life idea would be pretty fun, but probably overpowered ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy
    God forbid we actually suggest something PRACTICAL.

I think making it like a large rune on the ground that you just have to run over would be cool.

Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy
    Actually reading posts besides the first is for people who actually play the class that's the forum they are in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If someone could transform Satan's anus into a potent powder, I would totally snort it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    GC already stated the ToC Lightwell won't happen. "Priests have enough smart heals".
    One? I mean, we have CoH. PoM isn't smart, it is random.

But still, I like Kelesti's idea about lightwell, but it seems a bit too much like Bacon of Lol.

And even though I would love to see a buff as big as that was to Paladins to Holy, it just doesn't fit in. We have the tools we are ment to be using. I can't really think of anything that could aid us even more. Blizzard will probably give us something cool at the beginning of Cata but till then just sit down and heal.

But I wouldn't hope for much. I mean look at our set bonuses.
    Has opinions about stuff.
    Character - Danrar (Forever Holy Priest)

As long as it requires the people who use it, to actively have to focus on the Lightwell to use it in the first place, it will remain obsolete. It costs too much effort to use this way, in the current design of the raid encounters.

How about this variant:
    - The Priest casts a stationary Lightwell, with a duration of a few minutes;
    - It does nothing on its own, but the Priest gets a "focus" button (for instance, like a pet bar or something ... details need to be ironed out, because this might conflict with the Shadowfiend pet bar). When using the "focus" button - the Priest has to be in range of his Lightwell - the Priest cannot use any other spells, but in fact empower the Lightwell;
    - While focused on the Lightwell, the Lightwell "does its thingy". A renew type spell on lowest health member? Adding additional Healing received on nearby targets? An area heal that ramps up in power with focus duration? Whatever, designers can be creative;
    - Using any spell or taking damage will interrupt the focus on the Lightwell;

Perhaps the focus thingy could be a channeling effect, with all mechanics that come with channeling.

Quote Originally Posted by magicism

But still, I like Kelesti's idea about lightwell, but it seems a bit too much like Bacon of Lol.

And even though I would love to see a buff as big as that was to Paladins to Holy, it just doesn't fit in. We have the tools we are ment to be using. I can't really think of anything that could aid us even more. Blizzard will probably give us something cool at the beginning of Cata but till then just sit down and heal.

But I wouldn't hope for much. I mean look at our set bonuses.
    I found the exact quote.

Random forum poster said:
    Haven't you technically already solved this problem [with lightwell]? Why not make lightwell be like the ones the priests in the TOC5 man trash drop? I'm not sure whether it does damage or heals, it seems negligible either way, but its definately significantly better than the current human player alternative.
    GC replied:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    It's cool in that encounter, but if the Holy priest version worked like that, we fear it would feel too much like a Healing Stream Totem. Priests already have a lot of fire and forget heals. What we want is something that feels more like a warlock Healthstone. "Here, I am giving you this ability to heal yourself later in the fight. Use it well." I don't think Lightwell is working like that now, but that's the intent, and we're not ready to give up on it. Someday....
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

15+ Year Old Account

Why not just let people take expy-healthstones from the lightwell before the fight?

It's a well that has light instead of water, so let people take cups of light for their inventory which they can than use infight. It could still be the same hot it is now, so you could use it and still use a healthstone for the instant heal.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

It's cool in that encounter, but if the Holy priest version worked like that, we fear it would feel too much like a Healing Stream Totem. Priests already have a lot of fire and forget heals. What we want is something that feels more like a warlock Healthstone. "Here, I am giving you this ability to heal yourself later in the fight. Use it well." I don't think Lightwell is working like that now, but that's the intent, and we're not ready to give up on it. Someday....
    If it's their intention to have it "Healthstone" like, the Lightwell is not going to cut it in its current form, seriously. Tanks don't want to take their focus off of the boss they're tanking to find that Lightwell in the midst of the chaos; all those cool spell effects seriously hamper the Lightwell's visibility. DPS don't want to take their focus off of the boss (or adds) either, because not only does it reduce their DPS, finding and clicking that Lightwell and then refocus on the target they were blasting costs so much time, it is likely to break any rotations they have going.

If they want to make it work, they have to implement it in such a way, that it doesn't require people to take their focus away from their target(s). Yet, to avoid it being the same as a Healthstone, it shouldn't be an inventory-clickable item either. The only way I see this happening is by giving everyone within the Lightwell's radius some sort of clickable button that can be used to consume a charge of the Lightwell. Is that even possible?

And if it's an inventory clickable thingy ... how about making it so that while it's active on the person, it increases healing received? You still depend on a healer to actually cast a heal on you that way, but I consider it far enough apart from a normal Healthstone's effect to be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by magicism
    ProM use the same targeting style as CoH. It bounce to the lowest health person in the radius.

15+ Year Old Account

IMO move lightwell into deep part of the Disc tree, and turn it into a aoe type spell that doesnt need to be clicked, on a short/medium duration. It could have a healing component like DH but do less healing, maybe even a HoT....

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

I was thinking of maybe a 20-25 sec party hot(not very powerful but could keep your party topped off if their is some decent incoming party damage)
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

It really isn't that far from being useful, the main problem is the targetting. If I were to fix it, I'd do the following things.

As someone else suggested (Kelesti?), it should be trainable and disappear when entering Shadowform. If it's an iconic Priest ability, it should be something that all Priests have. However, it could also probably do with a talent to improve it, probably in the first tier of Holy, maybe in place of Improved Renew and moving that down and/or combining it with Empowered Renew. That would also help make it less useful to Shadow, and provide a simple and useful talent for the first part of Holy that is useful to both Holy and Discipline.

Fix the targetting mechanic so it isn't targettable. I still don't think that's enough, though, since you'd still have to find it and click on it, which isn't easy in the heat of battle, especially if mobs or other toons are in the way. In fact, it would be awesome if they could make it so you can macro using it so you don't have to find and click it at all.

To make it akin to a Healthstone and possibly even share the cooldown, but different enough that it's still interesting. First, it's not an inventory item, but instead has a limited number of charges and you must be in range of it (say 10-15 yards) in order to use it. Rather than being just a simple HoT which is seldom going to be more useful than a Health Stone, make it give an initial burst heal equal to roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of a Health Stone (so it can still save your ass in a pinch) and have a HoT afterwards so it ultimately heals for more, or keep a HoT or burst heal type effect and have increased healing received for the duration (awesome for Tantrum or Exhale type situations), or replace the HoT effect with an absorption mechanic (you can use it pre-emptively to avoid damage or reactively to allow the healers time to top you off). I think any of those three alternatives would be more interesting than the current effect, avoid turning it into a pet, and still make the other players have to think about using it rather than the priest.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a city on the back of a roaming colossus

How about setting it down then actually healing the lightwell, and it records how much healing you've put into it then disperses that heal to maybe up to 5 targets nearby as a channeled HoT doing maybe 20% of the total healing you've done to it per tick, divided by how ever many players it's healing. The healing you do to it stacks to a certain total, and every tick removes 20% from the total. If no players are nearby it holds the charge until it's time runs out or someone runs to it for healing. Could work like the current form, but more passive, like a heal battery.

Wow. That's complicated and probably impossible with current game mechanics. Whatever, i like it. :P
    "Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes, because then you're a mile away, and you have his shoes." - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by exeq
    ProM use the same targeting style as CoH. It bounce to the lowest health person in the radius.
    The tooltip is a lie.

Just cose everyone else was doing it...
    Has opinions about stuff.
    Character - Danrar (Forever Holy Priest)

Quote Originally Posted by Vortrall
    How about setting it down then actually healing the lightwell, and it records how much healing you've put into it then disperses that heal to maybe up to 5 targets nearby as a channeled HoT doing maybe 20% of the total healing you've done to it per tick, divided by how ever many players it's healing. The healing you do to it stacks to a certain total, and every tick removes 20% from the total. If no players are nearby it holds the charge until it's time runs out or someone runs to it for healing. Could work like the current form, but more passive, like a heal battery.

Wow. That's complicated and probably impossible with current game mechanics. Whatever, i like it. :P
    But our AoE spells are better then Single target spells so it will be less useful to channel heals through lolwell instead of just cast PoH/CoH.
    And i think it would be too complicated for a mid-tier 1 point talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq
    To make it akin to a Healthstone and possibly even share the cooldown, but different enough that it's still interesting. First, it's not an inventory item, but instead has a limited number of charges and you must be in range of it (say 10-15 yards) in order to use it. Rather than being just a simple HoT which is seldom going to be more useful than a Health Stone, make it give an initial burst heal equal to roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of a Health Stone (so it can still save your ass in a pinch) and have a HoT afterwards so it ultimately heals for more, or keep a HoT or burst heal type effect and have increased healing received for the duration (awesome for Tantrum or Exhale type situations), or replace the HoT effect with an absorption mechanic (you can use it pre-emptively to avoid damage or reactively to allow the healers time to top you off).
    Seems very reasonable but this would be just another health stones. There are very little difference between healing 4k and absorbing 4k from raid perspective.

But i have another couple ideas:
    1. Make spell haste(or crit) buff (like 10%) for 10-15 sec (give 45 sec debuff to prevent from chain using). This way dps would be clicking it :P
    2. Make lightwell gives some kind of aura to all within 20-30y. Last 15-30 sec , 3 min CD. Effects of aura could be anything. From 30% spell reduction, to some kind of raid buff (second heroism ?), to some kind of weird effect (like Blessed Recovery effect triggered on spell dmg taken instead of meele crits)

Quote Originally Posted by exeq
    Seems very reasonable but this would be just another health stones. There are very little difference between healing 4k and absorbing 4k from raid perspective.

But i have another couple ideas:
    1. Make spell haste(or crit) buff (like 10%) for 10-15 sec (give 45 sec debuff to prevent from chain using). This way dps would be clicking it :P
    2. Make lightwell gives some kind of aura to all within 20-30y. Last 15-30 sec , 3 min CD. Effects of aura could be anything. From 30% spell reduction, to some kind of raid buff (second heroism ?), to some kind of weird effect (like Blessed Recovery effect triggered on spell dmg taken instead of meele crits)
    I was running mostly with the part of the Blue post that says that "what [they] want is something that feels more like a warlock Healthstone." My main point was that there's a lot of interesting and creative ways to make it an interesting ability that DPS miss. I'm always hearing DPS ask "Can we get new Healthstones?" before a pull, but I think the DPS that begs for a Lightwell before a pull is virtually non-existent. As we can learn from Healthstones, DPS like the ability to heal themselves, so I don't think we need some kind of DPS benefit, especially since that could cause balance problems, we just need to make sure that it's not a DPS loss and that it at least offers a different flavor than Healthstones, whether it's a HoT or absorption or extra healing taken or whatever.

Delete it