Laptop Inquiry - Asking for Professional opinions

Hello everyone, a mmo-champion follower and a hardcore WoW fan here. I was wondering if I could get some professional opinions and it would be greatly appreciated!

I am going to get a laptop soon and I was wandering if the laptop I am planning to purchase is a competent system that won't give me much of a hassle.

LG R580- K.AHC4WA9

Processor
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6500, 2.1GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64 BIT (Canadian Bilingual)
    Chipset
    Mobile Intel® PM45 Express
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    LCD Display
    15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768), LED Backlit LCD, *Fine Bright Technology
    Resolution
    1366 X 768
    Graphics
    NVIDIA® GeForce® G105M (512MB)
    Hard Drive
    320GB SATA 5400RPM
    Optical Drive
    DVD Super Multi Dual Layer
    Input/Output Port
    3 x USB 2.0 (including e-SATA/USB 2.0 combo), RJ45, VGA, HDMI, HP-out, Mic-in
    AC Adapter
    90W
    Dimensions (WxDxH)
    373 x 254 x 27.8, 35.2~39.0 mm
    Weight
    2.67 kg (6cell & ODD) / 2.52 kg (6cell & weight saver)

I have already asked my professional friend that is a expert in building computer about this laptop and he told me the spec of the laptop matches up to WoW requirement standards and I shouldn't have too much problem with it. Of course I don't expect the laptop to run it at max settings, with shadows turned on. I just don't want it buggering out in a 25 man raid and such at low to med settings.

Thank you.

Re: Laptop Inquiry - Asking for Professional opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulmahn
    Operating System
    You should try and get Windows 7, since Vista is kinda bad. But it seems quite good. WoW shouldn't really give you any trouble.

GPU is fairly weak. What is your budget/country?

what the above poster said. I would strongly advise you against a lap top if ur a serious gamer though. But if you absolutely must have a lap top get one with good cooling. You can research this on google with individual reviews on lap tops.

Lap tops overheat very often especially when you have had them for a while and get clogged up with dust etc

Quote Originally Posted by asway
    You should try and get Windows 7, since Vista is kinda bad. But it seems quite good. WoW shouldn't really give you any trouble.
    Ah I see, My old desktop had Windows XP and it never gave me a problem on playing WoW other than the hardware issue. I guess Windows Vista is not good operating system for gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    GPU is fairly weak. What is your budget/country?
    Well, I'm already under in process of buying this laptop but my budget was $1000/Canada, and this laptop costs $659.99

I'm not really buying this laptop for gaming though, it's just that being able to play WoW on it will be a sweet deal xD; but when you refer to GPU is fairly weak; how weak are we talking here? Will I be able to play in low to med settings in 25 raids or 10 man raids at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowie
    what the above poster said. I would strongly advise you against a lap top if ur a serious gamer though. But if you absolutely must have a lap top get one with good cooling. You can research this on google with individual reviews on lap tops.

Lap tops overheat very often especially when you have had them for a while and get clogged up with dust etc
    Haha I see, I'm not really a hardcore gamer nor I'm buying this laptop just for gaming. And Yes, I heard about the cooling system problems in laptops but my friend suggested buying a nice cooling pad (Usually $20 to 40 dollar) would get rid of the cooling issues? And I heard unlike HP or Toshiba, LG has a decent cooling systems in their computers. But thanks for your concern! I'll definitely look into this

vista was always a bit buggy, Windows 7 so far seems very stable and bug free so far. A cooling pad would be a good idea especially if ur going to be playing wow for prolonged periods. I doubt ur going to have issues with low fps with that gpu, but you could do better with your budget. Depends on flexible it is

You can raid on low, maybe med fine. W7 was cheap with a student discount if you can obtain it that way. It is much nicer than Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowie
    vista was always a bit buggy, Windows 7 so far seems very stable and bug free so far. A cooling pad would be a good idea especially if ur going to be playing wow for prolonged periods. I doubt ur going to have issues with low fps with that gpu, but you could do better with your budget. Depends on flexible it is
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    You can raid on low, maybe med fine. W7 was cheap with a student discount if you can obtain it that way. It is much nicer than Vista.
    Hey Chaud and Snowie, I really appreciate your big help and you guys helped me understand more about laptops, so I decided to hold off buying the LG laptop and tried to look for a better spec under $1000 budget and I found this.

Gateway 15.6" Intel Core i3-330M 2.13GHz Laptop (NV5909H) - Black

Processor Type Intel Core i3-330M
    Processor Speed 2.13GHz
    RAM 4GB DDR3 RAM
    Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 640GB 5400RPM

Discrete Video Memory Yes
    Expandable Video Memory Yes - Up To 4091MB
    Graphics Chipset ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    Integrated Video Memory No
    Native Screen Resolution 1600 x 900
    Upgradable Video System No
    Video Memory 1024MB

Operating System Language Bilingual
    Pre-loaded Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Now the GPU seems to be better than Nvidia Geforce 105M but I was wondering if Intel core i3-330M is better than the Dual core processor in LG laptop? Haha, the term Duel seems appealing to me (Two sounds better than one xD; )

I hope I am not much of a bother; but I appreciate what you guys told me, thanks for the feedback!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulmahn
    Hello everyone, a mmo-champion follower and a hardcore WoW fan here. I was wondering if I could get some professional opinions and it would be greatly appreciated!

I am going to get a laptop soon and I was wandering if the laptop I am planning to purchase is a competent system that won't give me much of a hassle.

LG R580- K.AHC4WA9

Processor
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6500, 2.1GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache
    Operating System
    Chipset
    Mobile Intel® PM45 Express
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    LCD Display
    15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768), LED Backlit LCD, *Fine Bright Technology
    Resolution
    1366 X 768
    Graphics
    NVIDIA® GeForce® G105M (512MB)
    Hard Drive
    320GB SATA 5400RPM
    Optical Drive
    DVD Super Multi Dual Layer
    Input/Output Port
    3 x USB 2.0 (including e-SATA/USB 2.0 combo), RJ45, VGA, HDMI, HP-out, Mic-in
    AC Adapter
    90W
    Dimensions (WxDxH)
    373 x 254 x 27.8, 35.2~39.0 mm
    Weight
    2.67 kg (6cell & ODD) / 2.52 kg (6cell & weight saver)

I have already asked my professional friend that is a expert in building computer about this laptop and he told me the spec of the laptop matches up to WoW requirement standards and I shouldn't have too much problem with it. Of course I don't expect the laptop to run it at max settings, with shadows turned on. I just don't want it buggering out in a 25 man raid and such at low to med settings.

Thank you.
    What backwards retailer are you buying from that isn't shipping every new system with Windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz
    What backwards retailer are you buying from that isn't shipping every new system with Windows 7?
    LG R580- K.AHC4WA9 isn't a new system, it was released couple of years ago, (2007 I think?) Back then, Windows 7 wasn't out. :\

Okay, nvm regarding the last last statement I made. I just found out that the laptop I was looking for, did not had that graphic card and instead it has a integrated graphic card, FTL Future Shop, stop lying to your customers and fix your typos in your website already -.-;;

I am sorry if I'm spamming people with my post but it would really help me out and thank you for putting up with me xD;

I found a Samsung R580 model with better specs, can anyone look into this spec and tell me if the graphic card was better than the original laptop I had in mind?

Mfr. Part Number: NP-R580-JS03CA
    Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 500 GB
    Processor Type Intel Core i3 330M
    Processor Speed 2.13 GHz
    RAM 4 GB

Graphics Chipset nVidia GeForce 310M
    Video Memory 512 MB
    Discrete Video Memory Yes
    Integrated Video Memory No

Pre-loaded Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium

Once again, thanks!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

getamac

Quote Originally Posted by Team Frosty
    getamac
    I loled xDDD, I don't know a crap about computers spec much but even I know Mac is super unfriendly to gamings. Thanks for your professional opinion anyhow

Hey Kuulahn, I think you are a little confused, let me clear some things up for you, I have some great input because I am looking at buying a laptop, either the Samsung R580 or Gateway NV5909h. The Gateway NV5909h has a 1 gig ATI 5650 dedicated graphics card, the model you were referring to that was advertised with a dedicated card that was a mistake is the NV5905 not the NV5909. The NV5909 has the dedicated card, I went and checked myself under system properties. I am assuming you saw these at Futureshop. There is a forum talking about the mistake on the NV5905 on the Futureshop forums, and the price has been dropped to $ 649 because of the mistake, but the NV5909 that actually has the dedicated 1 gig card is new and only $ 749. It is $ 50 cheaper than the Samsung R580 and has the 64 bit operating system vs the 32 bit that the Samsung has. Also the Gateway has a higher resolution screen and a larger hard drive. The ATI 1 gig 5650 seems like a better video card than the 512 nividia that is in the Samsung. I can easily see where the confusion would come from, but if you look closely, even on your own link you will see that you were talking about the Gateway NV5905 not the NV5909, both of which are on Futureshop's website.

Quote Originally Posted by mlindsayme
    Hey Kuulahn, I think you are a little confused, let me clear some things up for you, I have some great input because I am looking at buying a laptop, either the Samsung R580 or Gateway NV5909h. The Gateway NV5909h has a 1 gig ATI 5650 dedicated graphics card, the model you were referring to that was advertised with a dedicated card that was a mistake is the NV5905 not the NV5909. The NV5909 has the dedicated card, I went and checked myself under system properties. I am assuming you saw these at Futureshop. There is a forum talking about the mistake on the NV5905 on the Futureshop forums, and the price has been dropped to $ 649 because of the mistake, but the NV5909 that actually has the dedicated 1 gig card is new and only $ 749. It is $ 50 cheaper than the Samsung R580 and has the 64 bit operating system vs the 32 bit that the Samsung has. Also the Gateway has a higher resolution screen and a larger hard drive. The ATI 1 gig 5650 seems like a better video card than the 512 nividia that is in the Samsung. I can easily see where the confusion would come from, but if you look closely, even on your own link you will see that you were talking about the Gateway NV5905 not the NV5909, both of which are on Futureshop's website.
    LOL Wow, You are right! And I feel like a complete idiot, Thanks mlindsayme!

Kuulmahn, please keep us posted on how your search goes. I am very interested in buying one of these models myself, Seems like the Gateway NV5909 is our best bet, but some people have told me Samsung is better quality, but honestly now, it's not like Samsung has been on the market for long, and I have a hard time believing Gateway is total crap, but then again, I don't know everything. You can join in the discussion at Futurehop forums as well if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mlindsayme
    Kuulmahn, please keep us posted on how your search goes. I am very interested in buying one of these models myself, Seems like the Gateway NV5909 is our best bet, but some people have told me Samsung is better quality, but honestly now, it's not like Samsung has been on the market for long, and I have a hard time believing Gateway is total crap, but then again, I don't know everything. You can join in the discussion at Futurehop forums as well if you want.
    Hey mlindsayme, well I did some asking around and majority of people I talked to, said the brand is merely a name of the company, and usually the electronic companies use the same parts and techs from same suppliers (Apparently, Gateway have the same supplier for parts that deals with Sony, HD etc. ) Only Extra factors such as design or HDMI is the main difference between the companies and oh, Customer service. Minority (3 individual) that I talked to, doesn't recommend Gateway because of their experince with the company's customer service. Now I don't exactly know what Gateway customer service is like but their laptops & desktops were 6 to 8 years old and even I know that computers especially laptops will gradually slow down over the years and sooner or later you will start to have problems with it. :\

But Yeah, I don't know. $ 749.99 for this model's spec is not bad at all, I am probably going to buy it by this Thursday because I asked around various Future shops (Richmond Hill, Toronto and Newmarket) and they told me they are going to raise the price by 100 dollars after this week. Good luck!

If you are looking for a laptop to run wow, you don't have to go too hardcore. Reason being is that your computer can never be too good for wow due to the fact that it's an MMORPG and that means that if the server has lots of traffic, you can expect bad results.

As far as the cooling goes, don't dump your money into a laptop just because it has better cooling. All you need is a good $30-50 coolpad for it.

My crappy Acer Aspire 5720-6661 laptop has the following specs:
    Intel core 2 duo T5250 1.5GHz
    Vista 32 bit
    3GB of RAM (due to 32 bit OS otherwise it would be 4)
    a very budget, yet dedicated video card, nvidia 8400M GS 256mb with turbo cache (eww)

It runs WoW fine, I had lots of overheat problems during the summer though. Bought a nice Cooler Master pad for it, can't recall its details at the moment but it helped bring down my temps a lot and my laptop never shuts off like it used to before I had the pad. I don't run WoW on max settings or anything, far from it, but I run it smoothly with tons of mods installed
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Be wary of buying anything that's going to have trouble running Warcraft as it is now. My computer ran TBC at 60FPS perfectly with max settings (shadows excluded). Since the start of WotLK I've been getting approximately half that. The increased polygon count in models and terrain, as well as the new animations for spells and abilities really took away from my frame rate.

I have:
    Q6600 Quad core @ 3.14GHz
    XFX 8600 GT 512 MB
    4 GB G.Skill 1066 MHz
    Windows 7 32 bit

We have one more patch until the expansion is released (and that patch comes out in two days) so you should really be aiming for something that's going to perform flawlessly with the current expansion just in case Blizz beefs up models even more in Cataclysm (I'm sure you're aware of the upgrade capabilities of laptops )