Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Holy Priest Talent and Gem Selection

Quote Originally Posted by Clown.Eround
    I DON'T take spell damage...that talent is meant for PvP and people who have no situational awareness to not stand in fire/poisons.
    Well some spell damage is unavoidable. Bloodbolt Whirl from Queen Lana'thel, Mutated Plague from Professor Putricide, Pungent Blight from Festergut (inoculation of course mitigates a lot of this) as well as random targeting factors like Napalm from Mimiron, Vile Gas on Festergut. Just a few examples.

It isn't to say you can't live without it but it is commonplace to spec into it. No harm no foul.

I think it's better to select "kills only" than individual fights. Counting "Full Report" (aka Trash included) is extremely silly when it comes to judging someone's healing ability.

Here are some reports that I found showing only kills:
    1) http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-rt...one/?enc=kills - beat by a 14/57 priest
    2) http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kr...one/?enc=kills - beat by.. everyone
    3) http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-za...one/?enc=kills - hardly beat the other priest, everyone else beat you

You're pulling 3.8k HPS on your PP kill. I typically pull 4.2k HPS on that fight, now mind you I have a little bit different raid composition so it's hard to say what I'd do with 2 druids in my group sniping up a lot of the healing..

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee123
    i am one of the only holy priest in game specs for Metal Agility, which is one of the best talent for holy imo, i don't understand why a lot of priest don't spec for it.
    "reduces all mana cost of your instant cast spell by 10%" , this one talent is as good as Spark of Hope and Solace of Defeated in mana regen, or maybe better.
    The reason most Holy Priests don't take it is simply because it's not needed. You even say later here that you may gem for full Haste because you don't need mana. Have you considered dropping this excessive regen talent first? Hell, I'm gemming primarily SP/Haste already and don't have mana problems without that talent or Healing Prayers. It's just not worth getting it unless you're desperate for mana.

i didn't spec for divine fury, empowered healing because i never ever cast greater heal, and yes i never cast it, it takes too long to cast and heals for 20k crit?
    prayer of mending nowadays crits for 13k, and instant cast, why bother wasting 2 second to cast greater heal?
    and as i mentioned, i only hit flash heal when surge of light procs, cause again, its instant, i save mana from Metal Agility talent, and save global.
    You do realize that with Divine Fury and Serendipity Greater Heal is considerably less than a 2s cast, right? Of course, it's not something you should be spamming, but a clutch GH will save lives more often than you think. It's not uncommon that I through a Serendipity Hasted GH on the tank when I see him get low in a tank intensive fight like Festergut with 3 Inhales. Other times, a raid member is missing quite a bit of health and, rather than take 2 GCDs to get him into a safe spot, I can use a single fast GH to get him into a safe amount of health. Sure, you can still use a Serendipity hasted GH without Divine Fury, but it's slower. And sure, passing Empowered Healing for other deep Holy talents is a reasonable choice for a lot of healers, like Body and Soul, but passing on throughput for an unneeded mana talent just doesn't make sense.

i didn't spec for body of soul cause i am greedy, i have to admit that, and i don't have light well, which nobody drinks it cause they are too busy dpsing the boss.
    Fair enough. I don't have it, but I've also put a lot of consideration into it. When we've been working on encounters where it would be useful, I usually mention that I can spec it, but most of the times we are using strategies that don't make it useful, like we use BoP on Anub P2 to only use two ice patches rather than extra kiting that B&S would provide.

and i don't have serendipity, i used to had it, but since blizzard nerfed prayer of healing few patches again, i speced out of it, my poh used to heal for 47k in ulduar gear,
    but now in icc gear i only heal for maybe 30k? all i can say is thanks blizzard, you did it again.
    It's not as good as it used to be, so it's bad? You do realize that PoH as it stood in 3.1 was almost as OP as CoH was pre-nerf, right? PoH isn't supposed to be a one-stop raid healing spell, but without Serendipity it's usefulness is cut significantly. The one thing that Holy Priests excel at is raid-wide burst damage, and this talent is one of the reasons why. It also opens options for when several ranged take damage, but CoH isn't an option (not enough or too spread out). Hell, you'll get free charges just from all those SoL procs. And, of course, I already touched on why it's good for using GH. You are seriously gimping yourself by not picking up this talent.

i might put 1 more points in healing prayers, and lose 1 in holy reach, but i am too greedy to pay 50g for 1 talent point.
    Wait, so you don't cast PoH, but you still might put a point in Healing Prayers? If you're considering gemming full Haste already because you don't have mana problems, why would you consider getting another mana talent?

As for gems ~
    i was thinking of gemming full haste, since i don't have mana problem, but last night i was doing blood queen in 25man raid, and i ran into mana issue in few attempts, and this is only Normal Mode blood queen 25man, in heroic version i will go OOM for sure, so now i might switch all my gems to the green epic, spirit int, to be able to last forever in raid.
    If you're going OOM in this fight, you're probably doing something wrong. Yes, there's a lot of damage going out, but it's no more mana intensive than HM Twins, which has a similar damage pattern. The only time I was having trouble with mana was when people, especially melee, weren't quick enough to react to their debuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by jestible
    I think it's better to select "kills only" than individual fights. Counting "Full Report" (aka Trash included) is extremely silly when it comes to judging someone's healing ability.

Here are some reports that I found showing only kills:
    1) http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-rt...one/?enc=kills - beat by a 14/57 priest
    2) http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kr...one/?enc=kills - beat by.. everyone
    3) http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-za...one/?enc=kills - hardly beat the other priest, everyone else beat you

You're pulling 3.8k HPS on your PP kill. I typically pull 4.2k HPS on that fight, now mind you I have a little bit different raid composition so it's hard to say what I'd do with 2 druids in my group sniping up a lot of the healing..

I didn't include trash. I did kills only? I'm confused as to what you mean. If you are saying that I need to click on KILLS to see the accurate information for just the specific attempt you don't.

Example:

Your Link= http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kr...one/?enc=kills
    My Link= http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kr...e/?s=425&e=695

Well, Zeuq just took over the response I was typing up in Word. I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheromone

I didn't include trash. I did kills only? I'm confused as to what you mean. If you are saying that I need to click on KILLS to see the accurate information for just the specific attempt you don't.
    No no, I'm sorry for the confusion. That was more of a side note for brucelee123. I get the impression he is the type of guy that looks at full report that includes trash (something a lot of healers slack on, including myself) as his overall leetness in coming at the #1 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by jestible
    No no, I'm sorry for the confusion. That was more of a side note for brucelee123. I get the impression he is the type of guy that looks at full report that includes trash (something a lot of healers slack on, including myself) as his overall leetness in coming at the #1 spot.
    Ah, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq

You do realize that with Divine Fury and Serendipity Greater Heal is considerably less than a 2s cast, right? Of course, it's not something you should be spamming, but a clutch GH will save lives more often than you think. It's not uncommon that I through a Serendipity Hasted GH on the tank when I see him get low in a tank intensive fight like Festergut with 3 Inhales. Other times, a raid member is missing quite a bit of health and, rather than take 2 GCDs to get him into a safe spot, I can use a single fast GH to get him into a safe amount of health. Sure, you can still use a Serendipity hasted GH without Divine Fury, but it's slower. And sure, passing Empowered Healing for other deep Holy talents is a reasonable choice for a lot of healers, like Body and Soul, but passing on throughput for an unneeded mana talent just doesn't make sense.

Thank you, basically what I was trying to say but didn't want to take the time to type it all out lol. ^What he said^

You do realize that with Divine Fury and Serendipity Greater Heal is considerably less than a 2s cast, right?
    QFT.

With a full Serendipity stack, my Greater Heal cast time is about the same as my Flash Heal cast time, which is about 1.2 seconds (a little more, perhaps).

I usually throw Flash Heals on single targets that need it (or Binding Heals if I need a quick heal as well), and then throw a Greater Heal or a Prayer of Healing depending on the situation when I have 3 Serendipity stacks. On fights like Festergut (when he has 3 inhales and there's hardly any raid damage), I'll Flash Heal three times and then Greater Heal once, spamming it just to try to avoid the tank getting 2-shot.

With Prayer of Healing, the same thing; its cast time is a bit longer (but not by much) with 3 Serendipity stacks, and it heals a full group for maybe about as much as a Flash Heal. 1.6 seconds to heal a full group for 5-6k each? An almost guaranteed SoL proc? Yes please.

You don't use Greater Heal
    You don't use Prayer of Healing
    You don't spec into Body and Soul

Respec Disc
    Gem Spell/Int
    ??
    Profit

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee123
    people who spends 10 talent points in divine fury and empowered healing, and not cast at least 10 greater heal in a 5 min boss fight is a noob, wasting 10 talent points
    That's not a fair representation of the talent points. First, the 5 points in Divine Fury aren't taken from something that affects your throughput, they're taken from Spell Warding, which is just damage reduction. How many other non-tank specs take talents that are purely damage reduction for any reason other than filler talents? Second, the 5 points in Empowered Healing aren't necessary for Greater Heal to be useful; hell, even Divine Fury isn't necessary for that, but Serendipity absolutely is. At worst, you're talking about 10% less spell damage, which no other non-tank takes, 3 points in Serendipity, which every Holy Priest should have, and whatever left over points you have in Empowered healing. Finally, while Divine Fury is just for Greater Heal, and possibly burn phases, Serendipity helps PoH and Empowered Healing helps Flash Heal. So, really, you're spending fewere points for more benefit.

But let's ignor all of that and try a different approach... let's say I only cast Greater Heal 3-5 times in a given boss fight. One case would be on a random raid member that can't be topped off with FH or Renew, or I'd use those instead, so chances are they're missing at least 10-12k which means it's likely to also trigget Test of Faith. I get a 16k-ish heal, non-crit, in just over 1 GCD to top them off, where it would take 2 GCDs, either both mine or mine and someone else's, to top them off; thus, at worst, I save a GCD. More likely, they're in danger and need to be topped off quickly (eg, Deathwhisper), and the quick 1 GCD top-off saves their life, where a 2 GCD top-off may not be fast enough. So, it has a high probability of saving their life. Another case, the tank is getting pounded (eg, HM Beasts, HM Anub, Festergut with 3 Inhales) and the tank takes some heavy spike damage. Sure, GS is awesome for that, but if it procs the death effect or is on CD, what then? A clutch 1 GCD GH for 16k or 25k Crit WILL save your tank in crunch time.

I will gladly spend those points, even only casting GH a handful of times in an encounter, because I know that it will give me a tool that will likely saves lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai
    You don't use Greater Heal
    You don't use Prayer of Healing
    You don't spec into Body and Soul

Respec Disc
    Gem Spell/Int
    ??
    Profit
    Actually, since he's spamming Renew and CoH, and ignoring FH too he'd probably do better rerolling a Rejuv/WG spam Tree. Besides, B&S is dumb since you can just Rebirth them after they die.

Body and Soul is awesome on Rotface imo. When someone in the raid gets the debuff/add pop a shield on them to get them out of the raid as fast as possible makes it so much easier

Actually, since he's spamming Renew and CoH, and ignoring FH too he'd probably do better rerolling a Rejuv/WG spam Tree. Besides, B&S is dumb since you can just Rebirth them after they die.
    I would have to agree with this.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

The first part is actually my main gripe against the renew-specc in general. If you want to play a druid, reroll one. The druid is better at being a druid than you will ever be as a priest. Then again, nourish vastly outperforms Fheal too; the real strength of a holypriest is the aoe burst. Play to your strengths, I say.

Rebirth also beats B&S in the general case, but I would rather have B&S on the kiting putricide gas ooze than a rebirth. The former ensures distance is kept. The latter wipes the raid.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]