15+ Year Old Account

Professions Overview

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of each profession and what you gain as an added Bonus for a given profession. If you find something missing from the lsit please mention it and I will update the post. Thanks!

Tailoring - Cloak enchants which are superior than the stock enchants everyone else can get are the extra benefit from this profession.
    Lightweave Embroidery:
    • Embroiders a subtle pattern of light into your cloak, giving you a chance to increase your spell power by 295 for 15 sec when casting a spell.
    • 295 spellpower for 15 seconds, with a 35% proc on each spellcast. 60 second iCD. This averages pretty close to ~70 spellpower on the cloak. However you do have to consider that you lose 23 haste from the normal cloak enchant. Depending on stat weights for your specific class this changes the value of the enchant
    Darkglow Embroidery:
    • Embroiders a magical pattern into your cloak, giving you a chance to restore 400 mana when you cast a spell.
    • Appears to have a 35% proc chance and a 60 second iCD giving it a rough value of ~33 MP5
    Swordguard Embroidery:
    • Embroiders a magical pattern into your cloak, causing your damaging melee and ranged attacks to sometimes increase your attack power by 400 for 15 sec.
    • Appears to be a 35% proc chance and a 60 sec iCD giving the proc a value of ~33 AP. This would compare to the 22 agility normal enchant for cloaks, so take that into account when considering this profession.

Alchemy - You have the benefit of flasks lasting twice their normal duration as well as adding a little extra of whichever stat flask you take (64 extra AP, 40 extra Strength, 47 extra SP, etc). You also get the Flask of the North ability, which is a flask usable in arenas that will give you the extra AP/Strength/SP you would get from a flask, since other professions (like jewelcrafting) get to take their bonuses in to the arena, Alchemists should be able to as well. Also consider the Endless Mana Potions and Endless Healing Potions which are not as strong as Runic Mana Potions or Runic Healing Potions, but they are never consumed giving you an endless supply of these potions (these do not disregard the fact that you can only use one per combat, but outside of combat they can help with grinding).

Blacksmithing - Extra socket in your wrists and gloves with a pure red of your stat of choice will net you 80 AP/46 SP/40 Strength/40 Agi/etc. It does not have to be a red gem by any means, you basically gain two gems worth of whatever stats will benefit you the most.

Enchanting - Ring Enchants 40 AP/23 SP/30 Stam, you can put one of these on each ring making total gains 80 AP/46 SP/60 Stam

Inscription - Offers shoulder enchants that are better than the ones you can buy, a breakdown of each is below:
    Master's Inscription of the Axe:
    • Permanently adds 120 attack power and 15 critical strike rating to shoulder armor.
    • 80 AP bonus
    Master's Inscription of the Crag:
    • Permanently adds 70 spell power and 8 mana every 5 sec to shoulder armor.
    • 46 SP bonus
    Master's Inscription of the Pinnacle:
    • Permanently adds 60 dodge rating and 15 defense rating to shoulder armor.
    • 40 Dodge rating bonus
    Master's Inscription of the Storm:
    • Permanently adds 70 spell power and 15 critical strike rating to shoulder armor.
    • 46 SP bonus
    Minor Inscription Research
    • Create random scrolls in an effort to discover new minor glyph recipes.
    Northrend Inscription Research
    • Compiles your experiences from the day, creating a random assortment of inscribed works. You are very likely to discover new major glyph recipes this way.

Jewelcrafting - Will grant you the ability to equip 3 of any of the Dragon's Eyes gems below:
    Red Gems:
    • Bold - 34 Strength
    • Bright - 68 Attack Power
    • Delicate - 34 Agility
    • Flashing - 34 Parry rating
    • Fractured - 34 Armor Pen
    • Precise - 34 Expertise
    • Runed - 39 Spellpower
    • Subtle - 34 Dodge Rating
    Yellow Gems:
    • Brilliant - 34 Intellect
    • Mystic - 34 Resilience
    • Quick - 34 Haste rating
    • Rigid - 34 Hit Rating
    • Smooth - 34 Crit rating
    • Thick - 34 Defense Rating
    Blue Gems:
    • Lustrous - 17 MP5
    • Solid - 51 Stamina
    • Sparkling - 34 Spirit
    • Stormy - 43 Spell pen

Leatherworking - Bracer enchants which will grant you a slighlty stronger enchant over the common bracer enchants available to everyone else.
    Fur Lining - Arcane Resist:
    • Permanently enchant bracers to increase your Arcane resistance by 70
    Fur Lining - Attack Power:
    • Permanently enchant bracers to increase attack power by 130
    Fur Lining - Fire Resist:
    • Permanently enchant bracers to increase your Fire resistance by 70
    Fur Lining - Frost Resist:
    • Permanently enchant bracers to increase your Frost resistance by 70
    Fur Lining - Nature Resist:
    • Permanently enchant bracers to increase your Nature resistance by 70
    Fur Lining - Shadow Resist:
    • Permanently enchant bracers to increase your Shadow resistance by 70
    Fur Lining - Spell Power:
    • Permanently enchant bracers to increase spell power by 76
    Fur Lining - Stamina:
    • Permanently enchant bracers to increase Stamina by 102

Engineering - Quite a few different possibilities are available for this profession.
    Helm:
    • Mind Amplification Dish - +45 Stamina & Mind Control
    Gloves:
    • Hyperspeed Accelerators - 340 haste for 12s every minute = 68 haste on average
    • Reticulated Armor Webbing - +885 Armour
    • Hand Mounted Pyro Cannon - 1654 to 2020 Fire Damage Rocket
    Cloak:
    • Springy Arachnoweave - +27 Spell Power & Parachute
    • Flexweave Underlay - +23 Agility & Parachute
    Belt:
    • Personal Electromagnetic Pulse Generator - EMP Burst which disrupts Mechanicals
    • Frag Belt - Creates a reusable Cobalt Frag Bomb (750 to 1000 Fire Damage & 3 Second Stun every 6 minutes)
    Boots:
    • Nitro Boosts - +24 Critical Rating & 5 Second Speed Boost (150% Speed)

Skinning Maxing out skinning and being the appropriate level will offer you the Rank 6 Master of Anatomy ability.
    Master of Anatomy:
    • Skinning all those dead animals has broadened your anatomical knowledge, increasing your critical strike rating by 40

Mining Maxing out Mining and being the appropriate level will offer you the Rank 6 version of Toughness.
    Toughness:
    • All your hard work spent mining has made you exceptionally tough, increasing your Stamina by 60.

Herbalism Maxing out herbalism and being the appropriate level will grant you Rank 6 of Lifeblood.
    Lifeblood:
    • Uses your skill in Herbalism to absorb energy and nutrients from the earth, healing you for 3600 (increased by maximum health) over 5 sec. Can be used while stealthed or invisible.

Re: Professions Overview (Work In Progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Eilt
    Engineering
    Hyperspeed Accelerators - 340 haste for 12s every minute = 68 haste on average
    Reticulated Armor Webbing - +885 Armour
    Hand Mounted Pyro Cannon - 1654 to 2020 Fire Damage Rocket
    Mind Amplication dish - +45 Stamina & Mind Control
    Springy Arachnoweave - +27 Spell Power to Cloak & Parachute
    Flexweave Underlay - +23 Agility to Cloak & Parachute
    Nitro Boosts - +24 Critical Rating & 5 Second Speed Boost (150% Speed)
    Electromagnetic Belt - EMP Burst which disrupts Mechanicals
    Frag Belt - Creates a reusable Cobalt Frag Bomb (750 to 1000 Fire Damage & 3 Second Stun)

Alchemy also gets unlimited health/mana potions. (makes it very easy to just keep popping them when grinding/questing/etc.) I find I just use them constantly now, rather than waiting until I actually -need- them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortano
    Alchemy also gets unlimited health/mana potions. (makes it very easy to just keep popping them when grinding/questing/etc.) I find I just use them constantly now, rather than waiting until I actually -need- them.
    Those are definitely a nice bonus to mana users even though they are not quite as good as the high end runic mana pots. They are nice to pop for unlimited mana in heroics or in between any trash, and when you switch between specs. They are also ridiculously op in duels because you can get out of combat frequently which will reset their timer.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Re: Professions Overview

Not sure if you want to include this but maybe add bots/mailboxes to Engineer? Also Engineers get to use the AH npc in Dalaran. ;D

Would it be worthwhile to add daily benefits/quests as well? Some are quests, some are crafted, but nonetheless they are additional benefits.

JC = Daily quest for tokens that can be used for special patterns or Dragon's Eye and 20hr cd on Icy Prism
    Alchemy = Daily transmutes on 20 hr cd for epic gems and extra crafted procs based on specialization
    Mining = Smelt Titansteel on 20 hr cd
    Tailoring = Cloth patterns on 20hr cd and 2x on your specialty
    Inscription = Darkmoon cards

There are probably some others. I know that when I look at professions I consider the combat benefits but also consider the profit possibilities since I have a few toons to maintain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehlkatur
    I have died some times for just blinking away from balls and straight in to another pair of balls.
    Nerf teabagging!

Engineering - Mana / Healing Injectors - additional mana / HP gained depends on engineering skills

Quote Originally Posted by Nefario
    Would it be worthwhile to add daily benefits/quests as well? Some are quests, some are crafted, but nonetheless they are additional benefits.

JC = Daily quest for tokens that can be used for special patterns or Dragon's Eye and 20hr cd on Icy Prism
    Alchemy = Daily transmutes on 20 hr cd for epic gems and extra crafted procs based on specialization
    Mining = Smelt Titansteel on 20 hr cd
    Tailoring = Cloth patterns on 20hr cd and 2x on your specialty
    Inscription = Darkmoon cards
    Slight correction, for tailoring specialty cloth, it is on an 80hr cooldown. However, you get to create 4 specialty cloths every 80 hours (2X your specialty, 1X of each of the other two types). So you end up with the equivalent of 1 piece of specialty cloth every 20 hours, similar to the other profession cooldowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruk
    Slight correction, for tailoring specialty cloth, it is on an 80hr cooldown. However, you get to create 4 specialty cloths every 80 hours (2X your specialty, 1X of each of the other two types). So you end up with the equivalent of 1 piece of specialty cloth every 20 hours, similar to the other profession cooldowns.
    Yeah sorry... I knew there was another reason I dropped it for JC. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehlkatur
    I have died some times for just blinking away from balls and straight in to another pair of balls.
    Nerf teabagging!

That's a solid list, very useful for someone looking to trade up from a gathering prof or even deciding which would benefit their character the most. As an engineer I'd like to add the following:

- Mote extractor: allows gathering of Crystallized Fire/ Water/ Air from nearby clouds. Tracking is passive and does not need to be activated on minimap

- Gnomish Army Knife: Approx. 66% chance for out-of-combat resurrection of a dead player. 4 second cast time, 30min cooldown

- MOLL-E: Portable mailbox, perfect for places like Dun Niffelem. 10 min use. 2hr cooldown

- Saronite Bomb: 1150-1500 fire damage in a targetable area. Cheap and effective way to increase dps as well as snap aggro. 1min cooldown

- Frost Bomb: More for tanks but will freeze a group for 5 seconds allowing you some breathing room. Not updated since TBC but still useful. Shared 1 min cooldown with all bombs except

- Global Thermal Sapper Charge: Instant cast 2188-2812 fire damage. Situational but excellent for tanks where you need fast aggro. 5 min cooldown

- Jeeves: Repairs, vendor for all party members, bank access for engineer. 10 min use. 1 hr cooldown

- Northrend Wormhole Generator: Teleports the caster to a choice of Lake Kum'uya in Borean Tundra, Utgarde Pinnacle entrance, Uldaur flight point, Sholazar Basin mountain & Icecrown near Argent Tournament grounds. 4hr cooldown

None of them raid-crucial, all of them designed to make in-game life easier.

10+ Year Old Account

-In continuation from above post-

And so, so much funner. If you want something to spice up your wow life, i strongly reccomend Engineering. Whether it be the Rocketboost-Parachute combination off of high ledges (Allows you to glide for an immensly long time) to the Saronite bombs and Rocket gloves, which help make raiding more interesting for those people that find DPSing to be slow or boring for their respective classes (Additionally, S-bombs and Rocket gloves are both usable within the GCD, meaning that you do not have to sacrifice another attack in order to use them.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

I have two endgame characters, one engi and one scribe. Roll engineering if you're more concerned with utilities, convenience, and having fun. Roll enscription if you care more about benchmarks. Also, Enscription has a wonderful thing called Scroll of Recall which acts like a second hearthstone. A bit of convenience even for a scribe.

Engineering seems the most fun, imho.

Mind Amplification Dish - +45 Stamina & Mind Control
    and
    Hand Mounted Pyro Cannon - 1654 to 2020 Fire Damage Rocket

Yes, please!
    My Blog: http://www.wow-professions.info - 1 450 Profession Guides. Mankrik's Wife approves of this.

Deleted
    I still see LW being really boring though. Alchemy gets a shape shifting dragon mount, what do we get?