Thread: Kitty threat

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Kitty threat

My position on the damage meters has dropped drastically since Ulduar, from consistently top 3 to consistently bottom 3. Yet my position on Omen has remained unchanged, constantly riding the main tank. Has anybody else noticed this?

Re: Kitty threat

I remain 1-5 on the dmg meters and I don't have to worry about my threat. If you're raiding with a good tank then it's no biggie. If you're doing heroics or raid trash then don't be surprised if you have to go bear from time to time.

I was actually contemplating posting about this specific issue. My small 10 man guild wanted me to go dps for my offspec, and since i had a decent feral tank set and a horrible boomkin one I decided to just regem/enchant the tank gear for kittie. Read a bunch of information on the rotation (hadn't feral dps'd since BC) and joined a toc 10 pug to test out the deepz. My gear is pretty decent, not anything amazing mostly 232ish but I have just under 8000AP and 62% crit (stacking agi not ArP) in cat.

Man, I couldn't even go through a single rotation without pulling aggro. Basically once I got mangle, rip, rake going nicely and started to shred up to a FB or SR refresh I'd pull. Even after not attacking at all for 15 sec or auto attacking for 30 sec I would pull again if I went through a full rotation.

Thinking the tanks were probably on the not-so-good side here? Or does kitty pull a bunch of threat or what? Maybe I am too used to my rogue with ToTT and 30% passive threat reduction...

It could be a tank problem. If the tank is only pulling 5-6k TPS and you're doing 5k+ dps then you will eventually catch up and shoot past them.

I never liked feral rotation but perhaps you can use cower every time it's up. I know the threat reduction is negligible but it's something.

Deleted

I guess it's a compination of two things:
    1st Tank not doing awesome tps
    2nd no hunter or rogue or they don't know what they do.

I raid with hunters and rogues and therefore never have aggro issues, I can go all out 2 seconds into any fight using Berserk and doing something in between 9 and 10k in those Berserk second (not that awesome, I know)

Deleted

Use cower some times. If its Then still a problem, blame the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam
    I was actually contemplating posting about this specific issue. My small 10 man guild wanted me to go dps for my offspec, and since i had a decent feral tank set and a horrible boomkin one I decided to just regem/enchant the tank gear for kittie. Read a bunch of information on the rotation (hadn't feral dps'd since BC) and joined a toc 10 pug to test out the deepz. My gear is pretty decent, not anything amazing mostly 232ish but I have just under 8000AP and 62% crit (stacking agi not ArP) in cat.

Man, I couldn't even go through a single rotation without pulling aggro. Basically once I got mangle, rip, rake going nicely and started to shred up to a FB or SR refresh I'd pull. Even after not attacking at all for 15 sec or auto attacking for 30 sec I would pull again if I went through a full rotation.

Thinking the tanks were probably on the not-so-good side here? Or does kitty pull a bunch of threat or what? Maybe I am too used to my rogue with ToTT and 30% passive threat reduction...
    Sounds like a serious tank threat issue to me.

- tell your tank to l2p, their job is making threat not just taking hits, and I doubt your MTs are 30 ilvl below you. Any decent tank of ANY class can do a lot more threat then any dps on it's gear level, just need to use those shield slam proc, don't forget about rune strike, remember faerie fire is good and hmm... well paladins are OP ^^
    - tell your hunters and rogues that MD/tricks are here for a reason, or, just make the macro I have on my lock for PuGs, bind it to some key you can spam easily, hit it about 25 times within 5sec, after a few times they'll start using their stuff on CD:

/w rogue1 IM ON 95% THREAT, WTB COMPETENT ROGUE/HUNTERS :S
    /w rogue2 IM ON 95% THREAT, WTB COMPETENT ROGUE/HUNTERS :S
    /w hunter1 IM ON 95% THREAT, WTB COMPETENT ROGUE/HUNTERS :S
    /w hunter2 IM ON 95% THREAT, WTB COMPETENT ROGUE/HUNTERS :S
    /w hunter3 IM ON 95% THREAT, WTB COMPETENT ROGUE/HUNTERS :S

- cower is a gimmick, forget about that

10+ Year Old Account

do not use cower, pointless it does nothing and its a massive dps loss, take it from a raiding feral druid.
    i7 4770k 4.6GHZ................................................ ¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
    OCZ Arc 100 x2 (240g) RAID 0.........................°º¤ø„¸? Druid ,„ø¤º°¨
    Kingston HyperX 8 gig 2400.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨ For Life! 0¤ø„¸
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 OC.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø

as already stated:
    1) tanks need to l2p
    2) rogues/hunters need to ToT/MD
    3) if warrior tank, get him set the vigilance on you

usually, i have 2 rogues and 1hunt in my guild r25 and the MT is a warrior: ToT + MD + vigilance + "skilled warrior" => pull with Berserk + Hysteria after 5sec (as soon as 1st SR put) and absolutely no aggro PB (well, i am first behind the tank but with a fair margin)

Yeh cower is useless by the time you or off the GCD you'll have gained that threat back in white hits.

It's really not your fault I'v got some decent tanks in my guild and I get pretty close but luckily we also have some good hunters and rogues who watch out for this and I get a vigilance from our warrior too.

But they may not pay that much attention/care if your that low on the meters. Point out that its because of this your so low and I'm sure they will be more than happy to help out.

And tell your tank to pay attention :P

Quote Originally Posted by Juraz
    When the fury warrior in your raid dies check omen and act accordingly
    i'm over him in aggro ...

And other usefull "tip" (if you have bad paladins in your raid that didn't thought about it) : Hand of salvation !!! (saved my skin quite a few times)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam

Unless some threatvalues are bugging in code, it shouldnt be a normal threat issue, since cats have the exact same passive 30% built-in threatreduction as rogues.

And ofc Cower aint just for decorating spellbook/actionbar; at least its better than wasting 30s+ only autoattacking...
    An opinion is a subjective statement or thought about an issue or topic, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. An opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts. Opinions rarely change without new arguments being presented. However, it can be reasoned that one opinion is better supported by the facts than another by analysing the supporting arguments.

An opinion may be the result of a person's perspective, understanding, particular feelings, beliefs, and desires. In casual use, the term opinion may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs.

Our guild has a cat who has similar problems. He's very often in the top three for damage, but his threat problems are utterly rediculous. In any fight where he can do well, he must constantly beg in vent for a hand of salvation rotation. It's my guess that part of this would be attributed to our hunters, most of whom have pathetic threat control. Our rogues never appear to have threat issues, so I'm guessing they have tricks worked out.

My guess is that the threat trouble is the price of great dps, but it just comes off as so pitiful. I don't even have a druid, and I wish blizzard would lend cats a hand. A passive threat reduction added into one of the feral talents would probably fit the bill if I were to guess.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

If you do not have a paladin tank, do not pull Berserk at full energy and spam swipe on ICC trash

/dead kitty

most probably this is more a tank issue. But since sometimes you need to work with that tank and cant just boot him for another one, you gotta play it smart as a raid and use all you got to lower your aggro and so eneable you to pull your max damage instead of idling around.

There are really MUCH possibilities to achieve that.
    - Hand of salvation from a paladin
    - Intervene from a warrior
    - Pain suppression
    - MD on the tank
    - ToT on teh tank
    - buffing the tank accordingly (rather use drums of Kings for just 8% more stats and buff him SDM, if survivability wont be in question)

If the Tank with the aggro problem is a feral druid, he might consider going away from pure stamina gem stacking to agility. He will looses life, but gain avoidance and a lot of aggro.

This list may not be complete since i just thought ~5 mins over it.
    BTW shadowmeld, doesnt it make you vanish from aggro list? or stays aggro same once you unmeld again? Not sure about this one, and it would mean a massive DPS loss, but still rather loosing some GCD´s than idling around 1 minute.

I don't think the issue is whether the tank is doing enough threat or not.

The issue to me is should Feral do significantly more threat than other hybrids that have the same passive threat reduction even though they are doing the same or less damage. My Omen is right above my recount, its been blatantly obvious for a while now that Feral does a lot more threat per damage than any other class.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan
    BTW shadowmeld, doesnt it make you vanish from aggro list? or stays aggro same once you unmeld again?
    You regain your previous aggro when "unmelding".
    This space is available for rent!

Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin
    If you do not have a paladin tank, do not pull Berserk at full energy and spam swipe on ICC trash

/dead kitty
    Bribe your paladin healer to spam you when you do that. Cat tank doing 20k dps is pure awesomeness.

Deleted

make that 30k