Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Nevermelting Ice Crystal question for shadow

Do shadow priests get the same crit buff to our SW:P that aff locks get when they use Nevermelting Ice Crystal or does it go away after 20 seconds like the tooltip says? I'm trying to decide on a trinket and currently have Illustration & Abyss Rune.

Re: Nevermelting Ice Crystal quest for shadow

Think you can "roll" the effect by keeping it refreshed.

15+ Year Old Account

Using it at the start of the fight (just before you apply Pain) will allow the crit bonus to stay untill the the DoT drops off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima
    Using it at the start of the fight (just before you apply Pain) will allow the crit bonus to stay untill the the DoT drops off.
    Which makes it a rly rly good trinket definately worth it.

There's some threads on this on other sites. My understanding is that when you refresh SW:P (via mind flay):
    - Spell Power "updates"
    - Haste "updates"
    - Crit stays the same rate as when it was first cast.

Therefore, yes, if you use the Crystal before a cast of SW:P, it will retain an extra 920 crit rating for the duration of the fight (or until the buff falls off for whatever reason). And that is why it is rated extremely highly for its ilvl, and is better than any trinket besides the Dislodged Foreign Object (ICC-25), Reign of the Unliving/dying (TOC25), Phylactery of the Nameless Lich (ICC25), Muradin's Spyglass (ICC10), or Flare of the Heavens (ULD25H).

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelthala
    There's some threads on this on other sites. My understanding is that when you refresh SW:P (via mind flay):
    - Spell Power "updates"
    - Haste "updates"
    - Crit stays the same rate as when it was first cast.

Therefore, yes, if you use the Crystal before a cast of SW:P, it will retain an extra 920 crit rating for the duration of the fight (or until the buff falls off for whatever reason). And that is why it is rated extremely highly for its ilvl, and is better than any trinket besides the Dislodged Foreign Object (ICC-25), Reign of the Unliving/dying (TOC25), Phylactery of the Nameless Lich (ICC25), Muradin's Spyglass (ICC10), or Flare of the Heavens (ULD25H).
    SW:P does not benefit from haste, but otherwise, you're correct.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    Do shadow priests get the same crit buff to our SW:P that aff locks get when they use Nevermelting Ice Crystal or does it go away after 20 seconds like the tooltip says? I'm trying to decide on a trinket and currently have Illustration & Abyss Rune.
    Follow the gear list at shadowpriest.com and you will see that the nevermelting ice crystal is ranked above the other 2 of which you speak.

Wild Magic before pull, do your opener, hit the trinket before you SW:P, enjoy the +25% crit. It's basically the way to produce the old rumors about Inner Focus and show what that really would have done to Shadow's DPS. Answer: Increased it a bunch. :P

I've been doing it all wrong. I was using it right before my opener and only getting the watered down crit bonus by the time I applied my SW:P at full shadow weaving stacks. Time to bring on the crit. ;D

Be glad you're not a Warlock and your spells don't have flight time. You can cast Haunt, then hit NiC and if Haunt crits you'll lose 4% of the bonus even though Haunt gets no benefit from the crit increase. Screwed up. :P

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Be glad you're not a Warlock and your spells don't have flight time. You can cast Haunt, then hit NiC and if Haunt crits you'll lose 4% of the bonus even though Haunt gets no benefit from the crit increase. Screwed up. :P
    That's why locks should throw up CoA after Haunt and before triggering NMIC, to ensure Haunt has landed before casting Corruption... Side note, this is actually a more powerful buff for affliction locks than shadow priests, as corruption provides a much greater portion of their overall damage than SWP does for spriests.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

It depends on the distance as a Lock for how you start. If you use it properly SB>Haunt>Corr is more beneficial and you simply macro it and the trinket proc and Corruption hit simultaneously, so even if your Haunt crits at the exact same moment the crit is considered fully on Corruption. What you're looking at is the difference of using a lower priority DoT compared to losing 4% crit on UA. The more crit you have the more priority UA would get because the 4% means less overall. But yeah, it's about twice as good for Afflic due to Corruption being much stronger than SW:P.

Re: Nevermelting Ice Crystal question for shadow

I play as destruction so cannot comment much on affliction so if I am even the slightest bit mobile it can be a little tough occasionally to see all the charges used up before the buff runs out, but I did notice that the crit reduction is based on none-periodic damage so as far as I see, the crit bonus will remain at that level for the duration of the buff only from dot ticks, being lowered only perhaps by shadowbolt crits if those are thrown off during the effect.
    On short trash fights I see it getting the full use very little, though it is nice to pop just before rain of fire for those very short fights that otherwise would waste a lot of the proc and see those crits come very fast, decreasing the number so "none-periodic" seems to only apply to dots, not channelled spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Honestly, it says exactly that if you read the trinket.

Only non-periodic crits will reduce the stack.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Just to clarify, rolling Corruptions for warlocks, works precisely like rolling Shadow Word: Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Just to clarify, rolling Corruptions for warlocks, works precisely like rolling Shadow Word: Pain.
    Except that Haste now scales with them too, and Haste is auto-refreshed. So not quite precisely like rolling Shadow Word: Pain, at all.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Except that Haste now scales with them too, and Haste is auto-refreshed. So not quite precisely like rolling Shadow Word: Pain, at all.
    No. The haste scaling was removed several weeks ago ;-)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Follow the gear list at shadowpriest.com and you will see that the nevermelting ice crystal is ranked above the other 2 of which you speak.
    I did see its placing on there & was confused on why a trinket with a static low spellpower & a USE for crit was ranked above either of them since both have better stats if you take out the "bug" of the buffed crit not being lowered after the buff is gone from us.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    I did see its placing on there & was confused on why a trinket with a static low spellpower & a USE for crit was ranked above either of them since both have better stats if you take out the "bug" of the buffed crit not being lowered after the buff is gone from us.
    Its not a bug, the rolling of crit and damage modifiers is intended... it probably started off as somethign that was overlooked but after it was revealed they were comfortable leaving it as is. It's only been haste scaling to dots that has put rolling buffs under the microscope and that has been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd
    but I did notice that the crit reduction is based on none-periodic damage
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50259

The item says so