Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Priest heals a little low?

I've been noticing that our holy or disc priest just aren't healing as strong as they should. Similar geared holy pally will do twice as much. Anyone else see a change?
    "In WoW there are two things that will always remain true: people will always QQ and people will always forget that they have interrupts." -Nachopie

Re: Priest heals a little low?

Recruit new priests.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashelía
    Recruit new priests.
    Thought of that, but everyone I meet just can't preform. Thought it might be a class issue.
    "In WoW there are two things that will always remain true: people will always QQ and people will always forget that they have interrupts." -Nachopie

15+ Year Old Account

Couple of things.

1) Putting out bigger numbers on the healing meters does not necessarily mean you are performing better, or are healing in critical moments.
    2) Disc is not as much about raw healing as it is about mitigating damage, thus if a disc priest EVER wins on healing done, the other healers are pretty abysmal.
    3) Different classes perform better on different fights. One of my guildmates, a paladin thrashes me soundly on the meters in fights like Marrowgar or Northrend Beasts where tank damage is high. By contrast, as a shaman I crush him on fights where the raid is able to group up and when raid damage is high like Auriaya, Val'kyr Twins and Rotface.

Perhaps the most important consideration
    4) Your priests could be inept.
    Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much. ~attributed to Oscar Wilde

The power of a disc priest will not show on a meter.

Also you are comparing a healer with good raid heals/aoe heals to a healer who can power heal the two tanks for the whole fight, so its apples and oranges there.

You also have to take into consideration what fights you are using to look at this, I often run with a disc priest, on lady death my pally feels like the weakest healer, but on the 1st boss (forgot his name) I always top the healing meter by a long way.

In short, no, I don't think priests are under performing, not everything is about the recount.

Atm our Holy Priest/Resto Druid is both capable of pulling around 7-8k hps on the Blood Queen
    we're just raiding 10 man content.

The Resto druid is abit ahead but not by much. So can't
    really see any real reason except lack of skills to why some priests heals twice as little as some
    other classes.

As far as disc and even holy abit they arent credited for the damage they acutally counter with
    their shields.

Quote Originally Posted by yomyom
    The power of a disc priest will not show on a meter.
    Correct. They won't show on Recount. However they do show on World of Logs reports. So maybe export the combat log and upload it

From WOL reports i have topped bosses as both Disc and Holy, so its definitely the players and not the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlebie
    I've been noticing that our holy or disc priest just aren't healing as strong as they should. Similar geared holy pally will do twice as much. Anyone else see a change?
    This is a very vague statement without any clarification of what encounter, what roles they are playing and what gear disparity is in play. You can't boil these types of subjects in to such a broad statement, and there is really nothing anyone can add to answer your question in a satisfactory fashion.

Disc priests will never look fantastic on the meters unless you have a way to estimate their shields/damage prevention.

Holy priests will and can top healing meters given the right role and encounter providing they play well. However on some encounters Holy Pallys are going to outstrip everyone because there are encounters that deal a vast amount of damage to a low number of targets and beacon provides them the ability to effectively heal 2 targets at once with huge single target heals. Asking any class to out perform them on those encounters is ludicrous at best.

You should remember that, aside from Paladin auras, Priests not only heal but mitigate the actual damage that the entire raid takes and provide specific buffs that a Paladin cannot depending on spec. Discipline Priests in general do less overall healing than other classes but it doesn't matter much because not only are they throwing out absorb shields, those shields are also providing a Replenishment effect, and most Priests are bringing the Inspiration healing buff to raids which is never a bad thing, especially if you miss a Resto Shaman. Holy Priests also provide , arguably, the best kind of AoE raid healing if they're properly specced and the player themselves are pretty decent, and possibly the Body and Soul shields which are pretty handy for some of our ICC fights.
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

priests are the worst healers in the game for pure output , has been this way all of wotlk and part of BC.

priests need a healing buff and have for a long time.

comparing a priest disc or holy speccd to a holy paladin is like comparing a dude in greens to someone in full ICC gear. no healer can touch a holy paladin right now. A holy paladin can solo heal 2 tanks in a 10 man group with beacon. I have seen it in totc 10man hard modes for everything but Anub which our druid would throw hots on the tanks. we have 2 healed every boss in ICC 10 in the group I run with with holy pal / druid.

druids are fine , shamans are a bit on the weak side but have good burst healing, holy paladins are broken OP , and priests bring up the ass end. A good priest can still outperform other healers to a degree but the specs are very limited in output.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

Priest class is not broken, nor its the worst healing class. It does possess good AoE burst healing and decent HoT as Holy, as well as unique healing style with shields as disc.

But I agree pally s OP. It might be ok in 25m and 25m Hardmode, but insanely OP in 10m due to the ability to heal 2 tanks at the same time. It s a bit bitter to see Healadin/random healer pair has an ez time on Anub 10HM while the other classes have to work their ass off to get past it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonish
    priests are the worst healers in the game for pure output , has been this way all of wotlk and part of BC.

priests need a healing buff and have for a long time.

comparing a priest disc or holy speccd to a holy paladin is like comparing a dude in greens to someone in full ICC gear. no healer can touch a holy paladin right now. A holy paladin can solo heal 2 tanks in a 10 man group with beacon. I have seen it in totc 10man hard modes for everything but Anub which our druid would throw hots on the tanks. we have 2 healed every boss in ICC 10 in the group I run with with holy pal / druid.

druids are fine , shamans are a bit on the weak side but have good burst healing, holy paladins are broken OP , and priests bring up the ass end. A good priest can still outperform other healers to a degree but the specs are very limited in output.
    so a paladin is better at a fight where tank healing is required

is he better at aoe healing than you? no so shut the fuck up
    Quote Originally Posted by MildCorma
    I found myself in a magical setup the other week and my damage dropped through the floor like a 90 year olds tits

Someone probably said this already but paladin judgement of light heals alot... holy or not.

palas are fine, they rock at single target (well 2x target) heals but thats it really?

why would you want to take that away from them?

i play disc priest offspec holy, i dont think we are broken u just need to learn how to play

It completely depends of players, and encounter. Recount is not a good measuring tool when it comes to healing, except if same player is really low on meters on every encounter.

Most new bosses are designed for 2 or more tanks (Anub'arak,Twins, Marrowgar, Blood Queen, Blood Princes, Rotface etc) where paladins shine with beacon.

If your priests are bad on healing on heavy aoe fights (Blood Queen, Twins, P3 Putricide) then maybe post their healing by spell so we can see what are they doing wrong. And once again, "bad" is not below paladins bad is on pair with shadow priests and retri paladins, and is very situational.
    "There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it."
    - William Wallace

There is at least some evidence for the claim of this thread due to the fact, that Healpriest is the mot challenging healclass in terms of getting to the top of 25man healmeters. Well as a disc priest, you can always use the shieldtactic and win the meters in most of the fights including a lot of AoE dmg. The fight against saufang its pretty useful. (for example)

Although as a holy priest, things get more complicated. The big disadvantages you have is that PoH is not a smart heal, but based upon the group and it uses a high casting time. This implies precison in your choices and perfect timing of your PoH's in order to keep up with healdruids. Pallies are not that much of a problem for almost all encounters if you know how to play. Nevertheless, the holy priest mechanic grants you maximum trhoughput opportunities (i dont think there is any spell keeping up with max hps compared to PoH), but at a relatively high cost in terms of movement ability.

This makes it difficult to challenge druids effectively, which can sustain their troughput while they are moving around a lot better than priests.

The only spell which could need a little upscaling is CoH in my oppinion, as I feel that it does not scale enough compared to the AoE healing abilities of the other classes.

But in the end, a healpriest should be right behind te healdruid in an overall raid with multiple different boss kills. The only excuse for being behind a pally is the legendary-bonus

Edit needs to mention that you can even compete with pallies on mt heal by keeping PoM, Renew up and spamming the rest with flashheals, works just fine. Advantage: You always have a fast PoH rdy if there is some dmg incoming in the group (melee group most of the time)

Quote Originally Posted by jonish
    Absolute nonsense... i have poor OS gear for holy and can out heal or keep up with most of our full time healers in terms of raw output. (Disclaimer: raw output is not a measure of skill and can even be a measure of ignoring their role to look better on meters). It just so happens that if I heal my role is to pump out as many heals to the entire raid as I possibly can... i'm not asked to tank heal or babsit an OT etc. If that was my role no doubt my throughput would be less because it's not my role to heal 25 people as quickly as I can.

Point being is the role you play in your raid determines your raw output and given free reign and a good throughput gear customisation a holy priest can pump out as many heals as just about any class in the game with some encounters favouring druids (think twins or blood queen which consistent slow damage) and some favourign the burst type healing of a holy priest where hots dont' get time to be effective.

Disclaimer: I'm not overly experienced or geared as Holy Priest, only been healing a few months.

A couple weeks ago running ICC10, 2 healing with a H-Pally, he was absolutely destroying me on healing, granted he outgears me by a fair amount, him being in 251-277 gear, while mine is closer to 232-251 with a few outliers and missing boots drop that I have never had a pair of holy feet drop for me. With the gear disparity, I expected to get blown out of the water. What I didn't expect was for him to be at 100% mana after downing Marrowgar, while MT&OT healing solo and helping on raid healing. Saurfang he alone kept up every mark, at one point keeping up 3 marks all alone while I took over tank and rest of the raid healing due to slow/poor ranged, after the 4th landed, I was struggling to keep it alive while tanks and raid healing as well. I'd like to see any priest of any gear level able to do that. I don't know that we can. He sits at over 50% crit raid buffed, 35k mana, 3k sp, 1.46s holy light cast. His holy light casts in just barely more time than my flash heal and hits for roughly twice my flash heal with the ability to crit for 3x more than my flash crits for (not counting my talents buffing it on certain targets).

I understand we are different spectrums of healing, H-Pally's are specialized in single/2x target healing, and H-Priests are AoE healers, but at that point he can practically aoe heal with beacon + 1s flashes on anyone taking damage. He could probably be nearly able to solo heal Marrowgar10, and from what I've seen, could probably solo heal Saurfang10 with a smart & skilled group.

I'm not begging for a Holy Paladin nerf or Holy Priest buffs, I don't really care. It's entirely possible that it is an l2p issue and that a Holy Priest in comparable gear is that good on heals as well, I'm not there yet so I don't know, but from the upgrades I've gotten, it doesn't really feel like it will get that much better. Yes, I have a lot of gear (and skill) to still gain, as most of what I have is what I've been able to get from badges, since I leveled this toon late and was playing catch-up to be able to play with my friends.

TL;DR; Priests aren't great, but we aren't horrible. A well played and geared H Paladin can blow a priest out of the water on any fight that doesn't require a lot of aoe healing, and even then, if there's other raid healers, the paladin will still "top the meter" most of the time, simply because of their single target bombs landing on the tanks almost 2x before 1x poh.

15+ Year Old Account

Had a quick go over, and no-one seemed to mention that the Paladin could be using Judgement of Light? When we do get a Healadin to use it, it can be 23-30% of their Healing Done.

Or the Paladin could just be an effective player, healing the raid with Beacon on the main tank on single target fights (like Beacon on Lady D tank, swapping it as the tank swaps, healing the raid or healing both tanks on both ships giving a pretty heavy Healing output, and not forgetting to mention a Paladin healing 2 marks on Saurfang or one mark and the tank).

Everyone has their 'thing' in healing. Priests are just medicore healers atm, for AE healing they are beaten by druids and in some extend shamans (although not often). In singletarget healing (tanks) paladins rule the healing. If i were asked to rate the overall healingpower of all the healers out there, i would say:

1. Druids
    2. Paladins
    3-4. Priests/Shamans

Considering that druids and paladins have 3(4) different specs (tank/heal/dps) i do find this slightly off-balance.

Throw some love at shamans and priests and i'll be a happy camper.