Discipline healing and renew?

Hi, Soohy / Maexxna's here from Frostmane-EU. http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ane&cn=Maexxna

I have a question regarding healing as a discipline priest.
    I've recently changed my offspec on my leveling priest lvl 76 from holy to discipline.
    Here is my question: is it worth using renew as disc? We can all see that the tree that focuses on that spell is holy. While healing 5-mans I wasn't using it and everything went good (I focused on PoM, FH, pen, bubble etc.) However, when I saw video of 25man ICC with 2 priests, 1 holy, 1 disc, the tank had 2 renews on himself. Is it efficient enough to use it?

Thanks in advance.
    Soohy

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Discipline healing and renew?

I tend to use Renew on DPSers who took damage but I know won't be taking much more damage. On tanks I only use it when 1) the incoming damage is predictable and I know I can spare the GCD and 2) when it is hasted through BT. I've never paid enough attention to notice whether this helps or hinders my healing, but it's my alt and people don't die, so I don't really care.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

15+ Year Old Account

In terms of the Healing done compared to Mana required to keep Renew up, it isnt really worth it. If youre support healing the tank with even one Paladin then you'll not see much more than overheals. On some fights when bosses hit like trucks using it as insurance is fine, but i wouldnt be canceling casts to make sure its up 100% of the time.

The way I see it is that you should never rely on renew to do anything your other heals can't. Flash heal is cheaper and faster. That being said, if you're in a 5-man and are full on mana and everyone's full on health, might as well toss a renew on the tank to mitigate whatever damage he's taking at least a little bit.

Deleted

Basically, don't go out of your way to keep it up. If I do turn my eye onto the tank for a bit, I usually cast all 3 of shield PoM and renew.

Put simply, it can't hurt, but it is by far from your best spell. Use it on the tank if you find yourself moving or with a spare GCD(or before the pull), but do not go out of your way to cast it.

Renew is OK in certain situations, but normally that GCD is better used on a different spell.
    That being said, if you're moving or have a moment where you don't need to heal with PW:S and PoM on cooldown, throw a renew on the tank(s), it won't hurt anything (unless mana is an issue for some reason).

For easy content though, all I do is PW:S>PoM>Renew the tank, and spam Smite/Holy fire to help kill things quicker.

Thanks for all replies I've got it all much more clarified now.

Thread can be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergand
    Renew is OK in certain situations, but normally that GCD is better used on a different spell.
    That being said, if you're moving or have a moment where you don't need to heal with PW:S and PoM on cooldown, throw a renew on the tank(s), it won't hurt anything (unless mana is an issue for some reason).

For easy content though, all I do is PW:S>PoM>Renew the tank, and spam Smite/Holy fire to help kill things quicker.
    This!

Yeah, still leveling mine. I can go a whole boss fight with out throwing out anything other the PW:S and Renew. The PM:S is quite nice while Instance Grinding. I rarely ever go OOM.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Efficiency isn't disc's problem, throughput is. So really you want to know is it enough throughput to be worth it, and the answer is - kinda.

First you have to bear in mind that renew benefits from Borrowed time, but like all instants it doesn't consume the buff. This means that you'll be haste capped with renew trivially, so while disc misses the dedicated talents for renew, that doesn't mean renew has no talent support from the tree. Renew is higher healing per cast time than FH even after factoring in crits, but only if it isn't overhealing. As a result a disc priest won't normally waste time throwing renew if the tank isn't topped up, however if he is then renew may well be thrown. Particularly if raid damage isn't an issue, and mobility might be.

Finally renew has another situational advantage over FH - it doesn't apply grace. This means that if you're healing in a 10 man and you want to help out on tank no.2 without losing your grace stack on tank no.1 , renew can be a nice spell to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergand

Since when is your PW:S on cd as a disc priest ?

----

Though, I agree with the rest you said ..

/agreed

I believe the implication was that Mending was on cooldown, while shield is on it's "target cooldown" of weakened Soul. Not necessarily a cooldown, per se, but it does limit its use severely on the per-target basis.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Pretty sure he meant when the target has the weakened soul debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by IgotRICKrolled
    Since when is your PW:S on cd as a disc priest ?

----

Though, I agree with the rest you said ..

/agreed
    well to clarify, I mean the Weakened Soul debuff. It's sorta-kinda a cooldown anyway.....

@ All above qouting silly me

I apolgize for my lack of brains in the matter.

Of course that is what you meant - But you know how it is.

Reading AND understanding is HARDmode in real life.

Regards.

here is a simple rule to follow

renew is to holy as power word shield is to discipline, do not use renew as religiously as holy does and don't use power word shield as religiously as discipline does.

I usually use renew on dpsers that arent in immediate danger over flash heal, since i lose my stack of grace on the MT if i use FH.