Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Professions from most to least expensive

It also depends what server you're on. My server that I'm on my economy sucks really really bad.

Always depends on which server you are on tbh, but I think you've got it pretty right there, as it is

"You know that woman in Ironforge, In the King's room. Is she still requesting an audience? Or does she live there?"

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin
    Just trying to set the record strait in terms of how much it costs to level each profession from 1-450.

1.) Blacksmithing
    2.) Jewelcrafting
    3.) Engineering
    4.) Enchanting
    5.) Tailoring
    6.) Alchemy
    7.) Leatherworking
    8.) Inscription

Any opinions, disagreements, etc.?
    I can't say anything about Blacksmithing because I never had one, but I did level up Engineering, JC and Enchanting. I spend around 2k for Engineering, 3,5k for JC and 5,5k for Enchanting. So I can safely say that Enchanting > Jewelcrafting > Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolernl
    I can't say anything about Blacksmithing because I never had one, but I did level up Engineering, JC and Enchanting. I spend around 2k for Engineering, 3,5k for JC and 5,5k for Enchanting. So I can safely say that Enchanting > Jewelcrafting > Engineering.
    Servers vary on costs of materials for leveling up proffesions, Engineering could be No.1 on a server for cost, and No.7 on another.

"You know that woman in Ironforge, In the King's room. Is she still requesting an audience? Or does she live there?"

As others have posted, depends a lot on your server, but imo enchanting comes out on top if you're going to powerlevel 1-450. And not only is it expensive, it's just depressive because you have to click for every single skill. There is no "create 30 of this items".

Quote Originally Posted by henern
    As others have posted, depends a lot on your server, but imo enchanting comes out on top if you're going to powerlevel 1-450. And not only is it expensive, it's just depressive because you have to click for every single skill. There is no "create 30 of this items".
    Quote taken from Ayrik, on the World of Warcraft Official forums.

"I had to search a long time to find a good macro for power leveling enchanting, so I thought I would post the result here.

This macro is one click, with no "do you want to replace..." dialogue.

Saves ALOT of clicking if you are powerleveling up enchanting.

/script DoTradeSkill(GetTradeSkillSelectionIndex());
    /click CharacterWristSlot;
    /script ReplaceEnchant();

You need to have your enchanting widow open with the enchant you want to do highlighted.
    The second line of the macro is the item you want to have enchanted, it can be an equipped item or in a bag.

To find the name of the item slot, or bag slot, use the following macro:

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetMouseFocus():GetName());

Mouseover the item or bag slot and activate that macro, it will tell you the name to replace in the second line of the enchanting macro. I have mine set to a certain bag slot, I just put the item I want to repeatedly enchant in that slot, so I don't have to keep changing the macro. "

Thanks Ayrik.

Hope I've helped.

-Sonk

I got Engineering to 450 with about 800 gold.

I got Inscription to 450 while making roughly 75,000 gold. Of course, at the time, I was doing Herbalism (which due to dropping it too early, had to level to 450 twice...). Never bought a single herb. The only thing you have to have is paper, which is cheap enough, even for the "expensive" paper. One decent glyph would buy me 2 stacks of the Resilient Parchment.

My wife has a JC that's at 390 right now, and it's been a nightmare watching her level it. Very, very little money has been made, and most of that immediately was spent on another 50g of mats for one skill point.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&n=Grizzengoo

On some servers Alchemy can be the most expensive. When I leveled my 2nd alchemist so I could have another epic transmuter I hit a roadblock from 75-275 skill. The herbs were hard to find and sometimes 60-80g a stack where at the same time mithril and throrium ores were only 30-40g a stack and common.

from my experience engineering was really painfull to power level.i spent tons of gold making useless items that cannot be sold anywhere else except vendors.i spent 5k aprox on my server(Darksorrow).i have lw 450 on 2 characters.on the 2nd one i leved it up during wotlk and it didnt cost a lot about 2k but on my main i had spent a lot of gold on TBC to level it to 375.after wotlk i spent less gold.leathers never sold expensive on my server.also i have enchanting on 2 toons since i have lw(x2) and tailor on the toon with enchant i never spent more than 2-3k g on both characters to level it up since every green leather/mail/cloth i made was de.inscription was very easy to level up since i had herbalism but i couldnt say i made gold from it since glyphs are very cheap selling and i only made money with decks.now i droped herbalism on my toon who has inscription/herb for bs.so my final list is
    1.engineering
    2.leatherworking
    3.enchanting
    4.tailoring
    5.inscription
    at my signal unlease hell

Quote Originally Posted by Huntdanoobs
    i am pretty sure enchanting is much more expenisve if you power level
    So true, if you look at outland, you can get some ores, smelt ores and you got the bars you need. In my case, i am busy with doing 300-375 enchanting now and already did all outland quests.... so i am screwed because arcane dust = 70/100G each stack and Greater Planar Essence like 15/20G each.

I was a JC/Miner since BC which is when I made my character. A few months ago I decided I wanted to drop mining for a more useful PvE profession. I farmed mats for a few days then dropped mining and power leveled BS at almost no expense to me (made it to 445). Then about a week later I decided that I didn't like BS and so I dropped it and leveled Engineering, but this time I had no gathering profession. I managed to power level it in about a day all the way to 450 and I spent about 2k. All in all with the things I sold I came out about even. Though I didn't actually lose anything since I had a friend who owed me 3k so I came out ahead.

Both BS and Eng were leveled in a day, and very easily for me.

Enchanting and blacksmithing I would say out of the ones I tried. Jewelcrafting was a fine pleasure to level since I actually earned a lot of money doing it.

Deleted

I just dropped mining and took enchanting to pair with my JC.

I bought everything from ah (I bought many green items too - just because the mats I got from DE a 2g item were worth 15-20g). After 4 hours, I'm at 427 skill, and I spend ~2500g. I guess up to 450 I would spend another 1.5k - 2k. Outland was the worst (Greater planar - 30g+ // arcane dust stack 80g+)