Thread: [Music] Metal

The Lightbringer
    That video I posted was definitely fucked up, they turned a 9:15 song into a 4:26 video. I was furious when I first saw it.

It's kinda funny actually, Agalloch are frequently cited as genius songwriters. To claim that they cannot write a song is absolutely absurd.

Pure genius.

---------- Post added 2010-11-02 at 07:31 AM ----------

Who else would use a mandolin like that in a metal song? Sends chills down my spine. Agalloch are peerless. Everyone either comes across as a crass imitation (Woods of Ypres) or helplessly left in the dust (The Morningside) regardless of quality.

Would you go so far as to say they're the Philip Glass of black metal?

Those particular videos would have been fine if the vocalist and drummer didn't exist. That's what I mean by poorly put together...none of their elements really seem to synch together, I always feel like there's either too much or not enough going on with their music.

The Lightbringer
    I love Haughm's voice. His folky style is very reminiscent of great bands like Sol Invictus, Death in June, etc. The drummer wasn't the best, but their new drummer, Aesop Dekker is fucking awesome. Ludicra's The Tenant is easily one of the best metal albums this year.

---------- Post added 2010-11-02 at 08:32 AM ----------

So absolutely fucking amazing.

Venom may have inspired black metal, but they're still a thrash band and played thrash at the height of its popularity. I wouldn't really use them as a basis for comparison.

Erm... No.

They're just amped up/punked up heavy metal, which was quite a few years ahead of Thrash metal. A budding young Metallica opened up for Venom.

Amusingly enough, (early) black metal is rather close to punk anyway. Mayhem used to play punk covers for a reason.

//edit: Had a quick listen, but from a first impression, I prefer Ludicra's older work. Definitely not impressed by the choice of production.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2010-11-02 at 05:57 PM.

Deleted
    Been into metal since I was young, and was looking for a "favourite" band for years. I like loads of bands, but never one that I could call my favourite. Then I randomly stumbled across Evergrey, and rather quickly learned they were for me.

Evergrey aren't to everyone's taste and they have changed style a bit here and there between albums (never as serious a change as Paradise Lost, Metallica, Megadeth) but there's always been the distinctive Evergrey sound holding it together.

For those that don't know them, it's generally dark progressive melodic metal. Emotional lyrics sung brilliantly (none of this whiny Emo shit), punching guitar riffs (the last album "Torn" cost me £1500 as I HAD to have that guitar sound at home so bought a new amp ) decent solos, harmonies and something quite rare these days, a good attitude from the band members about what they do.

Don't care if you don't like it, but they don't get much press or publicity, so wanted to give them a mention here.

Look up Evergrey on YouTube, watch some videos, give them a listen and shout about them if you like it

Sigh.. How long arre u going to argue about this? We get the point, u like Agalloch, a lot. Buuuuuut... there's just no reason to argue if the band is "known in the metal community" or not. It IS known in the Black Metal community. But ppl who mainly listen to "insert other Metal genre" probably haven't heard of them. U said u didn't know Flotsam and Jetsam, which to many is a really known band. If u just say "The Metal community", without specifying which sub-genre u are talking about, I would say that Flotsam and Jetsam and Agalloch are at the same lvl when it comes to being "famous".

On topic: One of the few good non-Melodeath bands to record an album after 2000: Violator - Addicted To Mosh My opinion, no offense blabla etc.etc.

Needs more treble
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    On topic: One of the few good non-Melodeath bands to record an album after 2000: Violator - Addicted To Mosh My opinion, no offense blabla etc.etc.
    Sounds like every other thrash revival band in existence.

---------- Post added 2010-11-02 at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Erm... No.

They're just amped up/punked up heavy metal, which was quite a few years ahead of Thrash metal. A budding young Metallica opened up for Venom.

Amusingly enough, (early) black metal is rather close to punk anyway. Mayhem used to play punk covers for a reason.

//edit: Had a quick listen, but from a first impression, I prefer Ludicra's older work. Definitely not impressed by the choice of production.
    Whatevs, I'm terrible at genres and forgot when they were around. Point is they aren't black metal and weren't playing anything so extreme as to make them incapable of popularity, so they're a bad comparison.

Sounds like every other thrash revival band in existence
    The fact that they DONT sound like all the other new thrash bands, but actually sounds like something out of the 80s, is what makes them good^^
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

You do realize that bands after venom's album "black metal" copied their themes, imagery, style...etc. The subgenre itself is named after their album. To call one of the bands most influential to the START of extreme and in particular black metal a bad comparison isn't really....right.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    You do realize that bands after venom's album "black metal" copied their themes, imagery, style...etc. The subgenre itself is named after their album. To call one of the bands most influential to the START of extreme and in particular black metal a bad comparison isn't really....right.
    Reasons your analogy is retarded:

1. Venom has been around way longer. The album Black Metal is itself almost twice as old as Agalloch.
    2. Despite influencing black metal, they in fact didn't play black metal and instead played something that was
    3. Fairly fucking popular at the time.

The fact that they DONT sound like all the other new thrash bands, but actually sounds like something out of the 80s, is what makes them good^^
    No, they do. Same watered down 80s thrash sound.

I don't think you get why I made the comparison in the first place. SilkforCalde argued that Agalloch is one of the most influential bands(he said metal, but I know what he means) in Black Metal. I disagree, but that's besides the point...I'm sure that if he took the time he could explain the ways they have influenced Black Metal with the music they have written.

Venom is widely regarded(by not just black metal fans) to be one of the biggest influences on Black Metal because of the lyrics, imagery and style they used in "Black Metal". No band before them themed their music as such. Later on, that fueled bands like Emperor, Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Dimmu Borgir, etc...the list goes on. Venom's contribution to Black Metal is immense, which is exactly why I listed them as a main influence. Theme contribution is just as important as musical contribution to the Black Metal scene.

Honestly, it sounded like you were trying to argue which band was better based on popularity.

"better" is about the most useless term for music in my opinion , because in the end it still boils down to personal opinion. A band can be incredibly influential, have great musicians, have musically complex structures, etc...and still be hated by people. Just look at Dream Theater if you need proof. What I was getting at was if Agalloch is as important to black metal as he says they are, then they should be measured up against other extremely influential bands.

Now popularity is a sufficient premise for amount of influence a band has, but it isn't necessary. That's another thing altogether, though.

Noooooooooooooooooo, masterofreality87 got banned from Youtube Fucking copyright crap

No, they do. Same watered down 80s thrash sound.
    Ok, judging by your reply, you are either:

1) A guy that has never listened to Thrash before

2) A troll, just here to start genre fights. This is what u look most like atm^^

3) If none of the above, you're just retarded.

Old-school ftw
    Holyfury armory

Or you just can't see past your rabid fanboyism for them to realize that I'm right. They sound like every other thrash revival band out there.

Yeah, dude. They sound so much different from all those other thrash revival bands.

The Lightbringer
    Sigh.. How long arre u going to argue about this? We get the point, u like Agalloch, a lot. Buuuuuut... there's just no reason to argue if the band is "known in the metal community" or not. It IS known in the Black Metal community. But ppl who mainly listen to "insert other Metal genre" probably haven't heard of them. U said u didn't know Flotsam and Jetsam, which to many is a really known band. If u just say "The Metal community", without specifying which sub-genre u are talking about, I would say that Flotsam and Jetsam and Agalloch are at the same lvl when it comes to being "famous".

Needs more treble
    Nah, Agalloch doesn't have a significant following in the black metal community. Their reach is much more widespread. Agalloch is easily one of the biggest names in metal, period. You, to me, seem like a VERY close-minded person so I bet you just ignore everything that doesn't fit in your teensy-tiny niche of 80s metal or 80s worship. 80s metal is the worst metal, btw.

Agalloch is not nearly as known in the EU as you seem to think. By and large, they're an American band with an American following. In several decades of reading through various metal zines, both on- and offline, never once did I get to see any of the following references: "For fans of Agalloch", "the band is influenced by Agalloch" etc etc.

Much as it will probably pain you to hear, Agalloch is largely unimportant over here. I have my doubts about their importance over at your neck of the woods, but seeing how it's a fair bit harder to double check for me, I'll just let it slide.

One of the biggest names in metal, same as in any other type of music, means "one of the big sellers". I tried to find listings for their record sales, but didn't manage to. I seriously doubt they reach numbers close to anything a Slayer, Megadeth or Fear Factory achieve. Or a Dimmu Borgir/Nile, for that matter.

Additionally, their influence on the bands you listed is extremely limited. Quite a few of them started around the same time at or before Agalloch (though possibly in different bands). Furthermore, acoustic guitars or genre boundry-breaking instruments are hardly Agalloch's doing.

//edit: Let's back this statement up a bit. Agalloch released their first full-length in 1999. They formed in 1995. Alcest formed in 2000 and Neige was already active in the (black) metal scene before then. The people in Les Discrets had been involved with involved with Neige for a while already. With Woods of Ypres, Agalloch's influence is listed, but having never even heard that band I won't say anything about them. I will point out they're a Canadian band, as opposed to Alcest/Les Discrets.

Additionally, Agalloch themselves covering an English Neo-folk song on one of their releases already points towards a source far more likely to influence European bands directly. As to Black Metal meeting Folk, Ulver had done such a thing several years before Agalloch even formed. Again, they're far more likely to have influenced the entire scene than Agalloch.

The only way you'd possibly convince me of Agalloch being one of the biggest names in metal would be if they changed their name to something like Agalloch's Vital And Important Musicological Entertainment Studio. Which really is fairly lengthy and possibly one of the bigger names.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2010-11-05 at 12:53 PM.

Yeah, dude. They sound so much different from all those other thrash revival bands.
    None of those bands sounds the same. Gama Bomb has a waaay more modern sound, especially the drums. Municipal Waste are generic as fuck, and has this annoying punk-rock sounding vocalist. Fueled by Fire is ok, but, they don't sound like Violator (well ofc they sound the same becasue it's the same genre, but not in the way that u say they do).

your rabid fanboyism
    you just ignore everything that doesn't fit in your teensy-tiny niche of 80s metal or 80s worship
    Run out of reasonable arguments to use, huh?`
    And yeah, I havent seen a single good argument by SilkforCalde on this forum yet, so doesn't really really come as a surprise.

80s metal is the worst metal, btw.
    1. I don't only listen to 80s Metal
    2. 83-95ish is the "real" Metal
    3. "Black Metal and any Core-stuff is the worst metal, btw"

also, opinions. And no, Agalloch is still not one of the biggest bands in Metal, period.
    Holyfury armory

Well, I spent all night listening to agalloch across a few of their albums just so my opinions weren't completely unfounded. What I do like is that they aren't very black metal, and I think they're far better suite as avant-garde with some dark folk rather than black metal. The only issue with that is their music really isn't complex enough to be avant-garde metal. They're minimalist, and it has great effect on some songs but doesn't sound very good on others. I'm also still set on their vocalist as not being very good, and I think his singing and especially poor growling detracts from the emotion of the song. The good news is, they're especially good at writing beautiful shifts from distortion -> acoustic -> distortion and songs were this occurs and vocals aren't as present are their best. In fact, if they were to do an instrumental album I'd likely buy it.

However, to call them a huge influence and big name in metal isn't really accurate. Tons of bands before their first album have incorporated many of the same elements into their music, and many afterward have done the same. They sound fairly Norwegian, but still have a distinct American style which limits their impact in the scene they're a part of, IMO.

@thrashmetalftw -- HURRR YOU BASTARD!! I kid, there really is a lot of terrible hardcore music out there, but the good bands that incorporate various time signatures, complex melodies or just plain awesome emotion can be addicting. It's precisely why Protest the Hero is my favorite band! And for what it's worth, I think nixxy is trolling as usual.