Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of Doom... this fills one of my two needs for Doom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go away with your sadcore! Time to break some necks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Roll out the tanks!

How have I missed this thread!? A Metal appreciation thread! Omg! All I find is metal hate in gaming communities! Gods praise this!

I guess the first metal band I listened to was Linkin Park (the early years ofc). I always listened to what my sister was listening to. And that eventually led me to Disturbed, which became my all time fave band a short time after! Very exciting days for Disturbed fans now that they've come out of hiatus and releasing a new album! *o*

Five Finger Death Punch (FFDP): Started listening to them a few years back, and I really like the energy and aggressive vocal delivery in most of the songs. First song was Hard to See, and then I was hooked. my 2. fave band.

I cannot choose the third band on my list, as the 2 first are the only constant. But the ones that's been on nr.3 is shared across a few.
    Judas Priest, Tenacious D (I know, maybe not "metal" but alot of tributes and elements of it) and Killswitch Engage.

I listen to alot of bands, and individual songs by bands, but they're so many I'll post a few without any other context or in any spesific order.
    Sabaton, Within Temptation, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, In This Moment, Helloween, Manowar, Testament, Metallica, Nightwish, Device, Rammstein etc etc.
    Can't list em all, but you get the idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome on board

Not sure if you'll find a lot of like-minded people here among the old timers, but you might be able to scrounge up the odd song that interests you

10+ Year Old Account
    Metal hate? Is this the 90s? Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay, praise Satan.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this has been listed before. I do not care. This is the sole cause I'm going to bed an hour later than planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I really, really want to see Tribulation live.
    And so I shall!

Got tickets for Tribulation, Envy and Deafheaven on the 30th of October. Spooky and so cool.

Already saw Deafheaven this year- one of the best shows I ever seen, but this time I am really going for Tribulation.

Strange gateways beckon!

Felt like listening to some filthy music tonight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, there's nothing greater than getting on the bus with lots of people early in the morning with this filth blaring in your ears, it
    s the only thing that keeps you sane:

10+ Year Old Account
    They're such nice friendly people strobing your eyesight as they pound your ears with deafening volume.

10+ Year Old Account
    This probably already has been posted but heck I'm a big fan of this Dutch band.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    But no one ever wants to talk about it also
    The problem is that most of the people posting here don't listen to that type of metal. As for me, I am not a fan, and I don't really find it interesting at all but that's a personal opinion. Also I don't see anyone being a metal elitist in here.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2015-08-21 at 08:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd actually prefer the talking part. I'll even read interviews of bands I have zero interest in, because they still might have something of worth to say. Except Sabaton.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit more single minded. Don't really bother with genres I have little to no interest in. I have given some bands a chance multi times like Ghost and Sabaton but I can't seem to like either. Maybe I've become too old and I guess I'm quite stuck in my ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    People with metal are like "open your mind to different things, but not too much if you don't like it", which I think is the correct approach to music.

In case anyone likes the Swedish band Ghost, they have just released their third album Meliora, which can be listened to in full here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Greatly enjoying the new Ghost record. The arrangements and production are fabulous. I think the clean-ness of the production easily put some off- perhaps even more so on Ghost's Hard Rock take on Merciful Fate.

I sorta love it though.
    Aaah nice I do too.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

Posting the greatest hour song of all time.

"B-but it's two tracks!"
    This is a very good album. Had forgotten how good the old Moonsorrow is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    The first minute of that song was what got me to check out the rest of that album in the past, but most of the rest couldn't quite live up to it.

I thought it was a decent record. If you want to you can read a more in-depth version of my opinion here.
    Yea, quite agree with that. I personally like their first, Lammendam, best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    I never really got why people like Sabaton so much since I think that their vocalist's voice doesn't fit their style of music, but why do you dislike them so much?
    To me, metal should be about pushing boundaries, about extremes. Sabaton is neither. It's a Disney colouring book, where the band stays neatly within the lines of the diluted originals. It's good ole family fun. Everything that could be remotely offensive, dangerous, gritty has been surgically removed. There is nothing remotely threatening or renewing about that band. Which is, to all extents and purposes, exactly what they are going for. They're an entry level band with the sheer purpose of being entry level. As unoffensive as possible. As easy to digest as possible. It is, in short, everything I detest in music - whether it be pop music, rap or, in this case, metal. The fact they're proclaiming to play metal even makes it worse, as at least pop music generally sets out to appeal to popular taste, hence its name.

Speaking of Paracletus, I gave it about 1 1/2 listens so far, I think, and I thought that a few songs were quite alright with the potential to grow on me a bit more.
    You're making one big mistake - you're listening to songs. Don't. Listen to the album. The ebb and flow of the album in its entirety is at least as important as the dynamics and melodies within the songs. That little glorious moment towards the end of the album is the culmination of the entire trilogy of albums - not a mere moment in a single song.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paracletus is one single track anyway, it's obvious that there is one common riff found in almost every single track. Listening to individual tracks is a huge, huge mistake, I can understand your confusion.