Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeexbean View Post
    Thats a great cover. Death was my first exposure to metal I thought I was so cool knowing who they were only to grow up and find out most metal heads also grew up listening to them XD. Leprosy is a good album
    I might give Leprosy another try too at some point, but I chose their later albums on purpose because I'm not a big fan of old school death metal in general so I wanted to hear their more progressive sound.

New Ash Borer

soundcloud.com/profoundlorerecords/ash-borer-the-irrepassable-gate

(I still cant post links)

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Not even their best?
    Never been a fan of The Jester Race. Dunno, just didn't really do anything for me, but I am no fan of MDM in general.

Gonna listen to that Fight or Yield, haven't heard it before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ashborer View Post
    New Ash Borer

soundcloud.com/profoundlorerecords/ash-borer-the-irrepassable-gate

(I still cant post links)
    Should be able to after 10 posts, unless they changed it. Duilliath already linked it: https://soundcloud.com/profoundlorer...epassable-gate

- - - Updated - - -

I gave Symbolic and Human another try last night and I like them more than when I first heard them but I'm still not a fan. I can't really tell why but I somehow like their music more when it's being covered by other bands such as this one:
    Both those albums are amazing. Schuldiner's vocals really destroy. They're mean and dirty. Vektor vocals remind me a little of Chuck.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2016-10-07 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Never been a fan of The Jester Race. Dunno, just didn't really do anything for me, but I am no fan of MDM in general.
    I see. Well, Lunar Strain would certainly be my second favorite In Flames album. I revisit those two the most.
    Gonna listen to that Fight or Yield, haven't heard it before.
    I've already posted it about 12 times, lol. It's just really simple, straightforward and catchy black metal with a tiny bit of pagan influences here and there and great lyrics.
    Both those albums are amazing. Schuldiner's vocals really destroy. They're mean and dirty. Vektor vocals remind me a little of Chuck.
    His vocals are definitely better than the average death metal vocalist was at that time, but I just don't really like old school death metal vocals. They are often too shouty and not diverse enough for my taste.

I've already posted it about 12 times, lol. It's just really simple, straightforward and catchy black metal with a tiny bit of pagan influences here and there and great lyrics.
    Aye I have seen you post it before, don't really know why I never really bothered with it. Probably, because it is not on spotify and I need to make some sort of effort. I am sometimes lazy that way.

Goriq is a lost cause when it comes to osdm, I tried hard to get him over to the other side but I failed.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2016-10-07 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Goriq is a lost cause when it comes to osdm metal, I tried hard to get him over to the other side but I failed.
    ftfy

btw, old school death metal vocals tend to be the best because they have far more character than generic pitch shifter + flanger grunt & pig squeal.

Deleted
    New Dark Tranquillity track:

I never liked his clean vocals. I hope this is the only track with them. Good music though. Vocals are still as evil sounding as ever, I just wish the music was more aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Goriq is a lost cause when it comes to osdm, I tried hard to get him over to the other side but I failed.
    I'm more of a black metal guy. Also, just on the previous page I asked for more death metal in the vein of Immolation's Majesty and Decay, but got no replies.

- - - Updated - - -

Aye I have seen you post it before, don't really know why I never really bothered with it. Probably, because it is not on spotify and I need to make some sort of effort. I am sometimes lazy that way.
    Yeah, bandcamp is the best way to listen to it at the moment, I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    btw, old school death metal vocals tend to be the best because they have far more character than generic pitch shifter + flanger grunt & pig squeal.
    If were talking about death metal vocals, I'm always going to prefer vocalists like Tomas Lindberg and Lord Worm. Those are the kind of vocals I like. I always thought that old school death metal vocals all sound really similar. Entombed, Death and Obituary for example sound very much alike to me and in other cases like Suffocation, Grave or Dismember I just don't really care about the vocals. They do their job but they don't stand out to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    New Dark Tranquillity track:
    [video=youtube;C_voh9WFbsM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_voh9WFbsM&feature=youtu.be[/vieo]
    I never liked his clean vocals. I hope this is the only track with them. Good music though. Vocals are still as evil sounding as ever, I just wish the music was more aggressive.
    I always thought Mikael's clean vocals are pretty nice though I prefer the way he sounded in the 90s. The way his voice cracks and how it sounds lower and more powerful just made it more enjoyable to listen to for me.

Some of the tracks on Construct with clean vocals were pretty enjoyable though. This was probably my favorite song off of it:

Deleted
    I always thought Mikael's clean vocals are pretty nice though I prefer the way he sounded in the 90s. The way his voice cracks and how it sounds lower and more powerful just made it more enjoyable to listen to for me.

Some of the tracks on Construct with clean vocals were pretty enjoyable though. This was probably my favorite song off of it:
    I honestly don't understand your tastes at times like these!

I seriously can't stand these cleans. And it's not because I hate cleans in metal. They are done pretty well sometimes. But in DT? Big meh. He sounds like a whiney bitch.

Deleted
    I honestly don't understand your tastes at times like these!

I seriously can't stand these cleans. And it's not because I hate cleans in metal. They are done pretty well sometimes. But in DT? Big meh. He sounds like a whiney bitch.
    Cleans have been in DT since The Gallery and they've always been more melancholic and low-key rather than "whiney".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NINJA SLAYER View Post
    Cleans have been in DT since The Gallery and they've always been more melancholic and low-key rather than "whiney".
    They have been in DT I know that. But only a couple, they really are exceptions.

But listen to the 2 examples Goriq posted. The one from Projector is so much different than the one from Construct. I can still listen to the one from Construct. But he does sound like a whiney bitch in Projector and it has made me remove the track from my Spotify list because I simply can't stand it. I don't see how it's ''melancholic''.

Ah well, different tastes.

They have been in DT I know that. But only a couple, they really are exceptions.

But listen to the 2 examples Goriq posted. The one from Projector is so much different than the one from Construct. I can still listen to the one from Construct. But he does sound like a whiney bitch in Projector and it has made me remove the track from my Spotify list because I simply can't stand it. I don't see how it's ''melancholic''.

Ah well, different tastes.
    What kind of cleans do you like? What kind of music sounds melancholic to you?

Saint Vitus were incredible last night. Scott Reagers sounded amazing. I'm too young to have seen them with him previously, as he last toured in 95. I like Wino, but Scott Reagers Vitus is the real deal. A very nice and humble guy as well.

I really hope this isn't just a flash in the pan and we get more tours or even another full length album with him.

Deleted
    What kind of cleans do you like? What kind of music sounds melancholic to you?
    Well, I just ''like'' some cleans. I rather have songs without them, but at times I find them to be fitting the band perfectly and I can't imagine them without cleans anymore. I generally like cleans with power behind them.

I was always very fond of the cleans in As I Lay Dying, mostly from their An Ocean Between Us album.

And the one from Mygrain I like a lot aswell. He has a broad range of different vocal types.

If we're talking melancholic, well, tbh it's not really my area. But one band that comes to mind is When Nothing Remains. I really love the cleans in them. They give that sad feeling.

There's some more bands where I like the cleans, like Amorphis, Allowance (Couldn't find any good example on youtube), Mercenary (Specially their older stuff), Kambrium and possibly some more I can't think of right now.

I also like cleans mixed into folk bands sometimes.

I absolutely hate cleans in Speed/Power metal.

What cleans do you like the most then? I'm interested.
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2016-10-08 at 11:34 AM.

What cleans do you like the most then? I'm interested.
    The cleans in Mercenary are definitely enjoyable to listen to. They are basically power metal cleans though.

As for what I like:
    The cleans in Warning/40 Watt Sun are both done by Patrick Walker and he's probably one of my favorite clean vocalists. Very powerful and emotional vocals.

This is only partially metal but I also really like the cleans in The Hirsch Effekt. I think theyre pretty unique and have a lot of character.

Slugdge has some great cleans as well. Matt Moss is just a great vocalist all around. Unique and creative in facets of his singing.

I always liked Messiah Marcolin's vocals. Most prominently in Candlemass. Incredibly powerful voice that is very fitting for the kind of traditional doom they play.

The guys in Neurosis also have great, smokey clean vocals.

Urfaust is another band that has some great cleans, in my opinion. Very powerful and sad vocals.

I honestly kind of moved beyond the whole "I prefer my music without cleans" attitude a long time ago. The voice is an incredible tool and not many utilize it to its fullest.

Deleted
    I like the vocals in Slugdge. As a matter of fact, I'll take a look at the entire band, I like it.

The rest didn't stand out to me that much personally with exception of Candlemass. I don't like such type of vocals. I simply don't like metal with only cleans and no grunts. I like it when there's a nice balance between grunts and cleans.

When it comes to grunts and female vocals mixed in together, I'm sold though. I'm addicted to that combo

Here's also one of the few metalcore bands where I like the cleans.

Wasn't sure at first to post it because of the general dislike towards metalcore but hey, there's a few metalcore bands I like to listen to.

I like the vocals in Slugdge. As a matter of fact, I'll take a look at the entire band, I like it.
    The rest didn't stand out to me that much personally with exception of Candlemass. I don't like such type of vocals. I simply don't like metal with only cleans and no grunts. I like it when there's a nice balance between grunts and cleans.
    When it comes to grunts and female vocals mixed in together, I'm sold though. I'm addicted to that combo
    Here's also one of the few metalcore bands where I like the cleans.
    [video=youtube;0TVfd-cKvZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TVfd-cKvZY[/vieo]
    Wasn't sure at first to post it because of the general dislike towards metalcore but hey, there's a few metalcore bands I like to listen to.
    Sludgde is a great band. One of the best metal bands to emerge in this decade, if you ask me.

I personally don't have any sort of agenda against any kind of core music but I just don't like most of it. I'm not a fan of songs like the one you posted. Those are the kind of cleans that I don't like.

There are some core bands that I listen to but it's either metalcore elements mixed with something else like The Black Dahlia Murder or Sylosis or it's mathcore like Car Bomb and early Architects.

edit: No one's going to give you shit for posting anything core, but I wouldn't expect anyone to reply to it either. People can hardly talk about something they have no interest in.
    Last edited by goriq; 2016-10-08 at 08:00 PM.

I have no beef with metalcore, but I'm not going heads over heels over it either. I really like these guys though, they hit my soft spot. Most other stuff seems either too wanky or too wacky for me.

To me, metalcore tends to combine the worst parts of metal with the worst parts of hardcore. There's very few bands that get it right in my opinion.