Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Baby metal is trash but to each their own. And yes it is worse than Dragonforce (even tho they are crap as well). In other news Fates Warning released another live album (after the awesome one with John Arch) and it's pretty great again (live albums are normally rather shitty but Fates Warning is just amazing).

I have to agree on that. Babymetal is absolute garbage.

I saw some of you posted your favorite albums of 2018 (so far). Here's mine, not ranked though:

Varathron - Patriarchs of Evil (Black metal)
    Wombbath - The Great Desolation (Death metal)
    Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram (Melodic black/death metal)
    Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms (Death metal)
    Panphage - Jord (Folky black metal)
    Gatekeeper - East of Sun (Epic heavy metal)
    Funeral Mist - Hekatomb (Black metal)
    Uada - Cult of a Dying Sun (Melodic black metal)
    Hoth - Astral Necromancy (Melodic black metal)

Still got a long list of stuff I need to listen to as well. So far this year has been surprisingly good. Got a few albums I'm looking forward to, especially the new Nachash album. Their EP from 2015 is excellent and their available track from the new album is really promising.
    Last edited by Limenaa; 2018-07-02 at 10:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Limenaa welcome. I gotta check out that Gatekeeper. The Hoth album wasn't for me, but must admit I listened to it with half an ear.

Thanks!

That Gatekeeper album is really good. The new Battleroar album was pretty good from the first listen as well, but lacks a faster track or two imo. While I like the Hoth album, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be in my top 10 at the end of the year. The same with Uada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Start with Vilosophe. That's the closest to the sound on that new song.

That said, Under Ein Blodraud Maane is one of the best Norse black metal albums ever released imo.

i prefer the old version of the A Canorous Quintet album. i used to play that quite a lot back in the day. good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I gave Vilosophe a listen but I wasn't entirely convinced. I gave Under Ein Blodraud Maane a try last year, I think, but I can't deal with the cheesy synths.

So do I, I guess. In the end, I can acknowledge that the original version could have sounded better at the time even considering the means they had available but at the same time the new version will just be a bit too polished for me.
    yes! i'm usually not against a polished sound but here it feels more like they're removing the good stuff rather than improving it.

To quote similar cases, I like how In Flames did it with Behind Space and Behind Space '99. The re-recorded version sounds more like a re-interpretation to me and they managed to add the bonuses of a meatier, modern production to the song without overdoing it with the polish. They did have a different vocalist for each version though.

Vice versa with Dark Tranquillity's Alone/Alone 1994, I guess, though Mikael easily outdid Anders' performance here.
    i'm honestly not too familiar with any of those bands except for Whoracle(In Flames) & The Minds I(DT) i really liked those.... anything after that was like Nu Metal to me. 93-97 was the golden years of death & black metal for me.. with a side of hardcore(was a straight edge craze going on here at the time).

You should give their early albums a try then. Both Dark Tranquillity and In Flames released albums of historical importance for melodic death metal in the 90s.

In Flames' The Jester Race doesn't seem to be on YouTube in full, unfortunately.
    yeah i heard them but they didn't do much for me at the time. and the albums i mentioned where the most memorable to me. i'm guessing it kind of fizzled after that.
    there was just so much good stuff being released during those years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Limenaa View Post
    Thanks!

That Gatekeeper album is really good. The new Battleroar album was pretty good from the first listen as well, but lacks a faster track or two imo. While I like the Hoth album, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be in my top 10 at the end of the year. The same with Uada.
    Listened to Gatekeeper and I like it but it's not nearly as good as the new Visigoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Listened to Gatekeeper and I like it but it's not nearly as good as the new Visigoth.
    I remember being disappointed with that Visigoth-album since I loved their debut. I’m gonna have to give it another shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Anybody have recommendations that sound like Cradle of Filth from the Funeral In Carpathia era? I was just thinking about that album today, and I got all nostalgic.
    Ehm not much Hecate Enthroned comes to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Limenaa View Post
    I remember being disappointed with that Visigoth-album since I loved their debut. I’m gonna have to give it another shot.
    Maybe a matter of preference I think. Gatekeeper is quite a bit more raw than Visigoth. The only thing that in my opinion brings down the Gatekeeper album a little are the vocals. I'm not very fond of those.

Yeah, it might be that. I love traditional heavy metal, but it can very easily become too power metal-y for me. My taste is kind of random within that genre at times

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Anybody have recommendations that sound like Cradle of Filth from the Funeral In Carpathia era? I was just thinking about that album today, and I got all nostalgic.

Christian Älvestam

This man can't do anything bad. Whenever he's the singer the song is gonna be epic. I could post tons of bands and guest appearances and every single one is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEtdvNyqA5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p__NMTEsP3Y

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Christian Älvestam

This man can't do anything bad. Whenever he's the singer the song is gonna be epic. I could post tons of bands and guest appearances and every single one is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEtdvNyqA5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p__NMTEsP3Y
    <3 Scar Symmetry

10+ Year Old Account
    The new Immortal is a lot better than what Abbath managed to make on his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really enjoyed the new Immortal. Don't expect it to hit my EoY list, but it's better than anything since At The Heart Of Winter.

--

Also, apparently there's a new Monstrosity coming out in September. It's been ages and I'm pretty hyped for this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soooo, what about the new Deafheaven?

It was decent I thought, better than New Bermuda. It still irks me they lack some oomph in their music, a lot of the riffs just sound the same to me. I really don't know how some people say it's better than Sunbather though.

Sunbather > Roads > Ordinary > Bermuda