Thread: [Music] Metal

  1. #9401
    Over 9000! Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    9,391


    ---

    Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Guys I've started kind of listening to hard metal, and the only bad I even remotely like so far is Amon Amarth. Only problem I'm having is that the lyrics could have been written by any 5-year old, it's not exactly deep stuff. Anyone know other bands that sound similar to AA?
    Way too many unfortunately. But none that I can think of that have remotely intelligent lyrics.

  2. #9402
    I am Murloc! hellhamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    New Septicflesh on the 1st of September. Sounds like Krimh is doing a great job on the drums.


    edit: I think this sounds pretty good. I hope the rest of the album is going to be just as intense.
    It's not bad, and the riffs kinda remind me of Celtic Frost. I wish they would play it less safe though and return to the creative genius of the first albums as far as extreme metal goes. Their latest couple albums start to sound like rehashes.

  3. #9403
    Pit Lord goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Base Reality
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    It's not bad, and the riffs kinda remind me of Celtic Frost. I wish they would play it less safe though and return to the creative genius of the first albums as far as extreme metal goes. Their latest couple albums start to sound like rehashes.
    Most bands get a bit too comfortable with their own sound at some point. I listened to Mystic Places of Dawn and Ophidian Wheel recently and I'm not hearing any of the genius you're talking about though.

  4. #9404
    I am Murloc! hellhamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Most bands get a bit too comfortable with their own sound at some point. I listened to Mystic Places of Dawn and Ophidian Wheel recently and I'm not hearing any of the genius you're talking about though.
    That's because

    a: you didn't really listen to them
    b: you hate 90's death metal (I know, this sounds like an insane reason)
    c: all of the above

    Also consider that Mystic Places was released the same year as De Mysteriis. It was extremely ambitious and years ahead of its time. Gothenborg metal didn't even really exist.

    I don't know, I find it impossible not to love them. The guitars have that warm feel to them, the melodies are top notch, the riffs have Mercyful Fate written all over them, and the atmosphere is incredible.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-06-15 at 04:14 PM.

  5. #9405
    Pit Lord goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Base Reality
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    That's because

    a: you didn't really listen to them
    b: you hate 90's death metal (I know, this sounds like an insane reason)
    c: all of the above

    Also consider that Mystic Places was released the same year as De Mysteriis. It was extremely ambitious and years ahead of its time. Gothenborg metal didn't even really exist.

    I don't know, I find it impossible not to love them. The guitars have that warm feel to them, the melodies are top notch, the riffs have Mercyful Fate written all over them, and the atmosphere is incredible.
    >you didn't really listen to them
    That's not a sound argument and you know it.

    >you hate 90's death metal
    Well, it's no secret by now that I'm not a big fan of (pure/oldschool) death metal. That being said, you know that I love a lot of 90s melo-death still. Also, you'd have a hard time finding any music at all that I actually hate. Most music just doesn't grab me, which does not equal hate. It just means that I don't feel anything at all towards most music.

    If you put it into perspective like that Mystic Places of Dawn is an album ahead of its time, no doubt, but I never disputed its value. I don't really listen to Death, for example, but I would never deny that they are a historical band that changed metal forever. The same goes for albums that are almost universally accepted as important releases for metal. However, that doesn't mean that I automatically have to like them because of that.

    As far as I'm concerned, Septicflesh didn't start to put out material that was consistently interesting to me until Communion. The albums that came prior to that are unremarkable to me, not memorable.

    It's not like I don't want to like those albums as much as you do, which is why I revisit them every once in a while. At some point they might just click and even though I probably still won't enjoy them as much as you do I will at least get some enjoyment out of them.

  6. #9406
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    One of the best metal albums of the last decade and of all time. It's one of those rare occurrences in metal where songwriting is truly sublime.

    That fucking outro still gives me goosebumps.

    I have to give this album a shot. Never really listened to Moonsorrow though.

    New Duskmourn is out. Gives me the oldschool melo-death sound. Going to listen to the full album tomorrow but I already know I'm going to be in for a good ride!


  7. #9407
    Igorrr's new album is wonderfully ridiculous

  8. #9408
    I am Murloc! Cairhiin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Finland/Holland
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    I have to give this album a shot. Never really listened to Moonsorrow though.
    Can advise. Incredible album.

    Some pretty decent atmospheric black, debut album of the American Hyperborean Skies.


  9. #9409
    A great Polish band called Mgla.


  10. #9410
    Pit Lord goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Base Reality
    Posts
    2,274


    A very underwhelming first single off of an album that will hopefully sound much better overall. Their last release was my album of the year and I was worried that the band's exposure to more mainstream progressive and core acts would influence their music negatively which definitely seems to have happened.

    They were really going their own way on their previous releases, fusing mathcore, post-hardcore and progressive metal with avant-garde touches and most of that is gone. I like the SiKth influences on the vocals but they're hardly as furious as they were on their previous albums. In addition, the lyrics have lost their abstract and complex charm.

    The brief math-section is without passion and intensity, it's simply being superficially complex for the sake of being "extreme". The unique riffing has made way for modern metal chugging and the djent influences on the basslines also work to the song's detriment. The Hirsch Effekt have always had pop influences in their sound but they were woven in tastefully and never as boring as they were on this track.

    - - - Updated - - -

    On a more positive note: death metal.


  11. #9411
    Over 9000! Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    9,391
    Don't recall if this one was posted before. If not, it should've been. If it was, it doesn't hurt giving it a repeat as it's a pretty amazing album.


  12. #9412
    Pit Lord goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Base Reality
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Don't recall if this one was posted before. If not, it should've been. If it was, it doesn't hurt giving it a repeat as it's a pretty amazing album.
    [video=youtube;OHH17DFL58I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHH17DFL58I[/vieo]
    hellhamster and I both posted it before. It's my AOTY so far.

  13. #9413
    Over 9000! Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    9,391
    Made my short list for sure.

    Funny, first time round I didn't even get through it. Went back and listened again and it just clicked.

  14. #9414
    I am Murloc! Cairhiin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Finland/Holland
    Posts
    5,668
    Tried listening to that White Ward and quit halfway through, really didn't like it.

  15. #9415
    Pit Lord goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Base Reality
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Tried listening to that White Ward and quit halfway through, really didn't like it.
    And I was confident that we all could finally agree on an album. Back to square one.

    Jokes aside, what albums have you been enjoying lately?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Greg Fox of Liturgy and Colin Stetson in one band. Fantastic collaboration.

  16. #9416
    I am Murloc! Cairhiin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Finland/Holland
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    And I was confident that we all could finally agree on an album. Back to square one.

    Jokes aside, what albums have you been enjoying lately?
    Must say for me so far not been that much that I thought was really great this year. Below, Nokturnal Mortum, Ruins of Beverast, Havukruunu, just to name a few. Probably missing a couple. Oh yeah Pillorian.

  17. #9417
    Over 9000! Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    9,391
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Jokes aside, what albums have you been enjoying lately?
    Actually got started on making my AotY shortlist (read: basically a reminder of stuff I enjoyed / need to revisit). Doesn't mean that they'll end up on the final version. Bottom ones I still need to listen to, or listen to again. Der Weg Einer Freiheit is on there as a reminder for later.

    Igorrr - Savage Sinusoid
    White Ward - Futility Report
    The Great Old Ones - EOD: A Tale of Dark Legacy
    The Ruins Of Beverast - Exuvia
    Trollfest - Helluva
    Tankard - One Foot in the Grave
    Dool - Here Now, There Then
    Cultes Des Ghoules - Coven, Or Evil Ways Instead Of Love
    Immolation - Atonement
    Helheim - LandawarijaR


    Nightbringer- Terra Damnata
    Dodecahedron - Kwintessens
    Der Weg Einer Freiheit - Finisterre
    Dodsengel - Interequinox
    Woe - Hope Attrition

  18. #9418
    Pit Lord goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Base Reality
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Must say for me so far not been that much that I thought was really great this year. Below, Nokturnal Mortum, Ruins of Beverast, Havukruunu, just to name a few. Probably missing a couple. Oh yeah Pillorian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Actually got started on making my AotY shortlist (read: basically a reminder of stuff I enjoyed / need to revisit). Doesn't mean that they'll end up on the final version. Bottom ones I still need to listen to, or listen to again. Der Weg Einer Freiheit is on there as a reminder for later.
    I'm really looking forward to the new Der Weg einer Freiheit. Their latest albums were a bit unremarkable but the two tracks they released off of the upcoming one sound pretty good.

    I guess so far my AOTY list would look something like this:
    01. White Ward - Futility Report
    02. The Ruins of Beverast - Exuvia
    03. The Ominous Circle - Appaling Ascension
    04. Caskets Open - Follow Nothing
    05. Colin Stetson - All This I do for Glory

    Those are pretty much all the albums that really stood out to me at various points throughout the year so far. White Ward and Ruins of Beverast leave the other three quite far behind though, I'd say. As for the rest of this year, this is what I have on my list for now:

    The Hirsch Effekt - Eskapist
    The Lurking Fear - Out of the Voiceless Grave
    Pyrrhon - What Passes For Survival
    Sinmara - Within The Weaves Of Infinity
    Der Weg einer Freiheit - Finsterre
    Queens Of The Stone Age - Villains
    Septicflesh - Codex Omega

    At least as far as already announced albums/EPs go.

  19. #9419
    Over 9000! Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    9,391
    Oh. Forgot about mentioning this one. Someone loves their Tom G. Warrior.


  20. #9420
    Some more good records.



    And;


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •