Thread: [Music] Metal

It's an interesting question. I think in almost any case it's dishonest and dismissive of a band's work to summarize them in a single song or for it to represent the entire body of their work, but there are definitely songs that are THE song for that band. Case in point, Night's Blood by Dissection. They have 2 all time classic albums and even chunks of Reinkhaos are fine, but Night's Blood is THE Dissection song. It's sitting at 1mil right now on Youtube whereas Soulreaper is probably their second most popular track and it only has 90k, unless a more popular video was recently deleted.

I know personally if I get into a band off of a single song, that song will hold a special place for me even if I like other tracks more. Spell of Destruction was my first Burzum and is still my favorite song by the project, even if I think there is better material of Varg's. Similar with Bathory, my favorite Bathory track was the first one I ever heard Woman of Dark Desires. My favorite Bathory album is Hammerheart and i love all of that material more, but my first Bathory track is still my favorite because it's what I associate with the band.

If a band I really like suddenly goes viral I'm okay with it as long as new bandwagon fans don't start to rep the band extremely hard or presume to know more/be more passionate than longtime fans. When I start to get really into a band I make sure I listen to the full body of their work and read up on anything I should probably know about them and their history before I give my opinion in a written setting. Most recently I've gotten extremely into the French melodic black scene with bands like Belenos, Suhnopfer, Aorlhac and Darkenhold so I tried to consume as much of that as possible before giving my thoughts so I don't come off as a bandwagoner or poser.

Not sure if I actually answered your question or just stream of conciousness'd there for a bit.
    Keep up with what I'm rating here and my last.fm here

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post
    How do you feel about metal songs going How do you approach cases of such blatant bias (circle-jerking, trve kvlt style) when it comes to one of your favorite bands/artists? Do you deem it to be a good thing? A bad thing? Feeling ambiguous to it? Mostly indifferent? Do you think it's even possible for a single track to be held representative for the lifetime works of a given band/artist?
    I don't. As in, I don't feel about it. I couldn't possibly care less. I question why anyone who is into metal would ever care what other people think about it - their opinions are utterly irrelevant.

snip
    Honestly, I don't really experience this so I don't really hold an opinion on it. Bands or projects will always have standout tracks but I don't feel like anyone really tries to make a band all about their most successful songs. Generally, I would say people that enjoy metal that is even just one level below mainstream know better than to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Not sure if I actually answered your question or just stream of conciousness'd there for a bit.
    I wasn't looking for answers in the sense of guidance, but for other perspectives instead. And you've generously shared yours with me, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I question why anyone who is into metal would ever care what other people think about it - their opinions are utterly irrelevant.
    Those opinions have ripples, consequences and effects. Ignoring them is a choice you're entitled to, but it doesn't render them irrelevant whatsoever.

Allow me just one example where those "opinions" shape paths, newer listeners. Perhaps one of your friends, perhaps an acquaintance on any forum/community that you are a member of; someone's request for assistance: "I haven't listened to [insert band/artist here] before, how/with what should I start to assess if it's something I should commit to?" At this point, let's suppose for the sake of the argument that there are five full albums released by that band/artist, over a period of twenty years. Do you reply suggesting a single song? One of those five albums instead? A selection of tracks spanning the entirety of their works? I'd argue that if you reply with anything else but a (preferably all-encompassing) selection, you're doing that person a disservice.
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Bands or projects will always have standout tracks but I don't feel like anyone really tries to make a band all about their most successful songs. Generally, I would say people that enjoy metal that is even just one level below mainstream know better than to do that.
    Oh wow, you've just made me smile. No, not a sarcastic grin; a genuine smile of surprise.

It happens more often than you think (and I'm tempted to say "all the time", but it sounds too categorical), and that's because of... biology. Because that's how our minds operate, because of our propensity for patterns. Look up on Wikipedia for the most basic introduction to it, without exaggeration it has been one of the most studied topics for the last few decades. Overriding that is arguably unnatural, as it's a trained skill. It follows henceforth that differentiating between a single song (as pattern) and the lifetime works of a given band/artist is something which doesn't just happen out of the blue. It only happens if people really do want it to happen, and I'd refer you to Gib Lover's reply above. It's a conscious effort that some people are unwilling to make. Some don't even know how. Alas, some are unaware that it's needed to begin with.

Metal has never cared about being mainstream. If anything, it's by nature the very opposite of mainstream. Why, then, should I even care about the mainstream? It's a fad they'll latch on to and as soon as something else pops up, it'll be gone again. I used the word irrelevant for a reason: mainstream has no relevance whatsoever. It's not going to make a band millions overnight and if a band does get some additional sales, it'll mostly likely not even a band I'm interested in to begin with. I am not sure why you insist people that are completely irrelevant to me should have any impact on what I enjoy or do not enjoy.

It happens more often than you think (and I'm tempted to say "all the time", but it sounds too categorical), and that's because of... biology. Because that's how our minds operate, because of our propensity for patterns. Look up on Wikipedia for the most basic introduction to it, without exaggeration it has been one of the most studied topics for the last few decades. Overriding that is arguably unnatural, as it's a trained skill. It follows henceforth that differentiating between a single song (as pattern) and the lifetime works of a given band/artist is something which doesn't just happen out of the blue. It only happens if people really do want it to happen, and I'd refer you to Gib Lover's reply above. It's a conscious effort that some people are unwilling to make. Some don't even know how. Alas, some are unaware that it's needed to begin with.
    I guess it would have been more accurate to say that I don't see it happening around me, or rather, in the circles that I participate in that are related to metal or music. The behaviour you described strikes me as something exhibited by people that do not actually listen to a lot of music or do not actually know or care about what they listen to. Most of my friends and acquaintances that also listen to metal or music in general in a way that I would consider past superficial enjoyment do so in a way that makes them deal with artists and projects in a more engaged manner which basically shuts down being blinded by trends.

To be more exact, if I was to ask friends of mine to introduce me to a band, they wouldn't just refer me to their most well-known and/or successful song, they would refer me to an album at the very least, perhaps even give me a bit of an introduction to their discography in general.

My stance on this probably leans towards what Duilliath said. I know it happens, obviously it does, but as long as it's random people that I have no affiliation with doing it I couldn't care less. It interests me so little that I apparently do not even notice it being a thing or even a problem at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I really couldn't care less how many YouTube views a certain song has. There's other things to keep me awake at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I really couldn't care less how many YouTube views a certain song has. There's other things to keep me awake at night.
    Like that new Cantique Lepreux song I posted. Check it out.

Like that new Cantique Lepreux song I posted. Check it out.
    Gonna check it right now! Finally got some time today.

I enjoyed that. Can't wait for the full album as I remember really liking their previous one.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2018-10-26 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Gonna check it right now! Finally got some time today.

I enjoyed that. Can't wait for the full album as I remember really liking their previous one.
    I actually pre-ordered one of their new shirt designs off of Eisenwald on a whim while listening to the track. I'm definitely looking forward to the new album.

I actually pre-ordered one of their new shirt designs off of Eisenwald on a whim while listening to the track. I'm definitely looking forward to the new album.
    I seem to remember I liked the Sorcier des Glaces better last time. This time I think it'll be the other way around. That track was definitely great. I somehow really liked the sound of the drums.

Deleted
    Haven't listened to this band before, just came across it...not surprised though, there's so much metal in Finland that there's always something to be found. Quite liking these songs though.

https://krukh.bandcamp.com/
    Black metal featuring the guy from Tchornobog.

https://detevigaleendet.bandcamp.com/album/lenience
    Also worth a listen. If the bandcamp tags are anything to go by they might featuring members of or related to Vemod.

Haiduk
    Melodic Blackened Death Metal

New Albu\m/ – Exomancer

1. Death Portent
    2. Unsummon
    3. Evil Art
    4. Subverse
    5. Icevoid Nemesis
    6. Doom Seer
    7. Pulsar
    8. Blood Ripple
    9. Once Flesh
    10. Crypternity

Metal... hmm black sabbath ozzy, if thats not ok fuck you

Great, thanks for the random nonsense post, friend.
    Keep up with what I'm rating here and my last.fm here

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Metal... hmm black sabbath ozzy, if thats not ok fuck you
    It's not okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    --Kriegsmaschine--
    I quite liked the album although near the end it started to be a bit long winding.

It took me a bit. It's starting to grow on me and think it'll be sneaking into my AotY list.