Thread: [Music] Metal

I'm on a sudden Hevy Devy binge

I agree, the new Traveler album is pretty great

New Moth Gatherer, sludge/doom, reminds me a lot of Cult of Luna, which isn't a bad thing!

More of the same but now with better production!

I digged out this outstanding masterpiece of an album and stumbled upon a question: In this last song (see below), there is a womens voice singing in the end - where is that from? I know the melody, i just cant place it right.
    The chorus in the song is part of the US naval hymn, but that last part, which is, btw, freaking beautiful, i seem to knwo it but i dont know from where i know it. Halp!!

Otherwise, enjoy

Cant post links yet - song is "The Monolith Deathcult - Den Ensomme Nordens Dronning"

Not sure where that sample is from but I agree, The Monolith Deathcult are fantastic.

New In Flames dropped, it's real bad.
    Keep up with what I'm rating here and my last.fm here

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    New In Flames dropped, it's real bad.
    To the surprise of absolutely no one.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I'm on a sudden Hevy Devy binge

HELL YES!

Devin Townsend is my musical spirit animal.

- - - Updated - - -

To the surprise of absolutely no one.
    WSOU DJ's would cry. For some reason they have a hard on for In Flames.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Other than IF, some good shit did drop today:
    Vimur
    Miscarriage
    Darkwater
    Drastus
    Pissgrave

Haven't jammed Pissgrave yet but the rest of those are all fantastic.
    Keep up with what I'm rating here and my last.fm here

A Dark Souls themed Visigoth EP? Sign me the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    A Dark Souls themed Visigoth EP? Sign me the fuck up.
    Oh god why.

Oh god why.
    I trust them to do a good, non-cringe job on this even though I wasn't big on their most recent album.

Been listening to this album for a week now, almost forgot how fucking good it was.

This is a remarkably accessible form of black metal, I'm suggesting it mostly for the casual listeners of the genre. It's so tame and mellow that it should be appropriate for "getting your feet wet" purposes. Frankly, at times it doesn't even resemble metal - black metal much less. It's just music, and it can be enjoyable on its own if you simply ignore its roots: Planetshine - A Journey Into The Unknown.

As for the following two albums, I'll address them at once because they both share the same intention of paying homage to the good old times. They achieve that in vastly different ways, though: Grafvitnir - Venenum Scorpionis is an example of generic (and rather flat) Scandinavian black, it sounds too damned "clean" to me; Mournhel - Obliteration sounds anything but clean and sterile. To no one's surprise, I prefer my black metal to be vitriolic and loathsome hence it's effortless to infer which of the two albums brings me home.

Yet more insanity by Devin from his upcoming album.

This album is undoubtedly as fresh as it gets, I've taken it for two back-to-back spins already. It's... nice, hehe - but what classifies as "nice" for an avid listener of black metal will be repugnant if not outright incomprehensible to most other metalheads, therefore I'll issue a warning without delay: Bašmu's Enshrined in Eternity is not for the casual listeners of metal, it will get your kvlt-o-meter to peak at about 9001. Despite the low-profile figure, Xûlthys is a name to be remembered to a serious listener of black, spawning several very interesting solo projects during the last couple of years. This fine gentleman delivers!

Dreadlord
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wy-W-pYlds

Most metal non metal song. Had a sudden urge to conquer Holy Roman Empire.

The Finns are at it again and it's glorious! As each of the released Singles from the new Children of Bodom album has been this good the whole album will be simply amazing, a return to form, as the previous album was a bitter disappointment.. in my books, anyway:

That part "Nightmare - Unaware" is pure genius as is the drop behind and after it..

EQUIPOISE - Demiurgus

This is peak tech death.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

Right, let's add a couple of suggestions both released last year. To delicate pansies a purely instrumental post-rock album: Spurv - Myra. It's a really tame experience, therefore it has the potential to reach a much broader audience. A people pleaser, I guess - but that's unfair, because it certainly has merits on its own. Give it a spin if you're not rabidly adverse to post-rock.

And to old perverts such as myself a gripping solo black project: Seiðr - Withering. The dude has been around for a while, experimenting into various other solo projects in the past. He's firmly entrenched into the underground, though, most likely the bulk of his audience is Danish as himself. Don't let that dishearten you, the aforementioned album is an enthralling example of raw black.