Thread: [Music] Metal

  1. #1021
    Sentenced - Amok (album)

    listen to it! very under rated band, but they are really great, try these 2 songs as they are earsex
    Dance on the graves
    Forever lost

  2. #1022
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadell View Post
    Most metalheads I listen to won't try anything else, they just listen to the same grunty shit over and over. But I'm sure there are some people who vary their tastes. I just haven't run across one IRL. I just don't like people adhering to one genre, it's too boring.

    To be fair though, I hate most new up and coming bands. Maybe I'm just getting older but I find that any local bands or up and coming bands are really shitty and aren't creative in the least.
    It's hard finding new music but it's not hard. If you like Radiohead and stuff you may or may not like Mew a fantastic experimental pop band. Listen to the song Apocalypso or Hawaii.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

  3. #1023
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadell View Post
    Most metalheads I listen to won't try anything else, they just listen to the same grunty shit over and over. But I'm sure there are some people who vary their tastes. I just haven't run across one IRL. I just don't like people adhering to one genre, it's too boring.

    To be fair though, I hate most new up and coming bands. Maybe I'm just getting older but I find that any local bands or up and coming bands are really shitty and aren't creative in the least.




    Newer metal releases. You just have to know where to look, just like every genre.

  4. #1024
    When I was 17-18 I listened to 95% metal.

    Now I'm 22 and expanded my tastes a lot, I will listen to anything if it sounds good to me, any genre, still love good metal though.

  5. #1025
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Newer metal releases. You just have to know where to look, just like every genre.
    And everyone should listen to YOB - Atma. That cd is straight up so so so good. Doom metal with 70's psychadelia and some stoner rock going on.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

  6. #1026
    Quote Originally Posted by solonglonesome View Post
    And everyone should listen to YOB - Atma. That cd is straight up so so so good. Doom metal with 70's psychadelia and some stoner rock going on.
    Oh goodness yes. How I forgot to post that, I don't know. One of the best releases of 2011 for sure. That album is a perfect example of nonlinear song structure done right.

  7. #1027


    Just a small example of what music was back in the good old days \../

  8. #1028
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Oh goodness yes. How I forgot to post that, I don't know. One of the best releases of 2011 for sure. That album is a perfect example of nonlinear song structure done right.
    Prepare the Ground....that riff is so massive and his vocals are so good.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

  9. #1029
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulane View Post
    [video=youtube;3KyJrZMswZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KyJrZMswZQ[video]

    Just a small example of what music was back in the good old days \../
    The days are still good. Don't get me wrong, that song along side many others are classic and were performed by some of the greatest musicians of all time but there are metal hymns being made every day. Metal's going strong, as it always has.



    I love Metal. Cheesy, I know, but it's not just music. It's never just music.

  10. #1030
    Quote Originally Posted by solonglonesome View Post
    And everyone should listen to YOB - Atma. That cd is straight up so so so good. Doom metal with 70's psychadelia and some stoner rock going on.
    Love me some stoner rock/metal:


  11. #1031
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Love me some stoner rock/metal:
    It's one of those genres that you can just chill and listen to. Church of Misery is my favorite doom/stoner band.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

  12. #1032
    Quote Originally Posted by solonglonesome View Post
    It's one of those genres that you can just chill and listen to. Church of Misery is my favorite doom/stoner band.
    Speaking of all things heavy to come out of Japan:


  13. #1033
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Speaking of all things heavy to come out of Japan:
    I love Coffins alot. Death/Doom is so so so awesome.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

  14. #1034
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Örebro, Sweden
    Posts
    35
    Hm...

    Iron Maiden
    Sonata Arctica
    Sabaton
    Freedom Call
    Gamma Ray
    Hardcore Superstar
    Rhapsody
    Night Wish
    In Flames
    Edguy
    Avantasia
    Eluveitie
    Iced Earth
    Blind Guardian
    Always push your skill to maximum, never ending improvements is your goal.

  15. #1035
    Over 9000! Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    9,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    + post-rock too! It's cool because Black Metal is such an extreme subgenre focused so heavily on being absolutely dark (Deathspell Omega comes to mind), but the blending of other genres to make something beautiful is unreal.
    Wouldn't call the latest Deathspell Omega dark. If anything, it's positively jubilant.

    Would call the new Craft pretty dark though. And fun.



    Sidenote, it was pretty hard to just pick one track to post.

  16. #1036
    Metallica
    Slayer
    Slipknot
    Dimmu Borgir
    Iron maiden
    In flames
    Lamb of God
    Mastodon
    Korn
    Rammstein
    Black sabbath(with ronnie james dio)
    Mótorhead
    Megadeth

    other bands with some metal in there songs

    Limp Bizkit
    System of a Down
    Queens of the Stoneage
    Linken Park
    Foo Fighters
    Stonesour
    Papa roach
    Rage against the Machine
    Guns & roses
    Led Zepplin
    Queen

    that should about be it i think :P

  17. #1037
    I recommend checking out Winterwolf (finnish death metal).



    Also too little Gorguts on this thread still, so here you go (Considered Dead): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcyREX5I1o

  18. #1038
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewhale View Post
    I recommend checking out Winterwolf (finnish death metal).Also too little Gorguts on this thread still, so here you go (Considered Dead): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcyREX5I1o
    I like this Winterwolf. It's good throwback DM to the swedes. I love that buzzsaw guitar tone more than anything in the world.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

  19. #1039
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Wouldn't call the latest Deathspell Omega dark. If anything, it's positively jubilant.

    Would call the new Craft pretty dark though. And fun.

    Sidenote, it was pretty hard to just pick one track to post.
    I wouldn't compare DsO to generic BM, they are different, for instance, Carpathian Forest look puerile and blatantly stupid compared to them. From SMRC they provide a nice auditive experience, but what many don't comprehend/aren't interested in, sadly, are their lyrics, filled with metaphysical metaphors, with inspiration from great men like Bataille or Hegel. Some concepts I'm sure many won't agree on and ignore seeing them as either pure aesthetical fillers or stupid things. And that's where this band goes further away from generic BM or metal in general.
    Dark, agonizingly satisfying dissonant and transcendental experience. By far my favorite band.







    Also I appreciate that someone mentioned Gorguts, great band.
    Last edited by Kenom; 2011-08-23 at 05:28 PM.

  20. #1040
    Over 9000! Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    9,266
    Deathspell Omega are probably one of my favourites as well. I say 'probably' and 'one of', because every time I try to make a list I suffer by having to leave bands out. I consider them to be one of the epitomes of Black Metal as their lyrics actually go beyond "Hail Satan" (repeat: 666 times). That makes them far more powerful and empowering than the easy-going nature of the more punk-based black metal.

    Paracletus is wonderful. Personally, I think Si Monvmentvm is a bit easier to get into and the lyrics are easier to grasp. One of the things I appreciate is the fact that they're actually making proper use of the different languages instead of atrociously crooked latin etc. I'm still hunting SMRC on vinyl, but it's not that easy to get.

    As to lyrics, I think you'll find Anaal Nathrakh actually have lyrics that go a fair bit deeper than they might at first glance. Dave Hunt studied philosophy and has a tendency to include a smattering of references. The titles, album titles and the understandable bits are the clues to go dig deeper.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •