Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    [video=youtube;F-eAZRYQUk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eAZRYQUk8[/vieo]

It has arrived! (unfortunately no full album link on YouTube yet but it's at least fully on Spotify already)
    Time surely flies, I had no idea it was the 22nd already.

I think people are overlooking a very very simple reason why this thread is losing traction.

MMO-Champion is losing traction. There's way less being posted on this site.

Metal never lost traction, it's still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I think people are overlooking a very very simple reason why this thread is losing traction.

MMO-Champion is losing traction. There's way less being posted on this site.

Metal never lost traction, it's still going strong.
    That's not surprising, Gen-OT is an absolute shitstain of a forum.

Re: Obsequiae - I know there's a drummer listed on the recording but man it really sounds like a drum machine and that kills it for me.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I remember a time when I didn’t like this song.

I don’t know what the hell I was thinking.

Going to see Death Angel tonight! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen some proper thrash metal live.

https://discord.gg/8eEcByD

Reposting the invite link for the new page. If this one is already expired, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I remember a time when I didn’t like this song.

I don’t know what the hell I was thinking.

Going to see Death Angel tonight! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen some proper thrash metal live.
    Enjoy the gig, Death Angel are amazing. Almost all their albums are great.

Excellent funeral doom from Belgium.

Listen to the part starting at 3:00 (or everything if you want) really love this part up until 4:00, pure epicness imo.

A reminder to (re)listen to Nespithe. That is all.

I gave Dark Tranquillity's Yesterworlds compilation a listen recently and discovered that their Trail of Life Decayed EP was actually pretty great. I stayed away from their early releases because the Moonclad Reflection EP sounded awful for a long time. I also decided to give their Of Chaos and Eternal Night EP another listen after that and I've been on another early DT binge since.

I pushed back thinking about my top albums of the year because I was pretty busy recently. I also had the feeling that there weren't a lot of albums that really kept me coming back to them all throughout the year and I spent a lot of time thinking about my top 50 of the decade too.

Top 20 of 2019:
    01. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
    Wonderful pop album that draws from a lot of 60s/70s pop and wraps it in a more modern feel. Lush, beautiful, warm. I gave this one a lot of spins.

02. Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia
    Their best in my eyes. Not their best musically but conceptually. Leave it to DsO to prove that they are still ahead of the game by jumping off the trite satanism bandwagon and going political. The sort of orwellian nazi-germany on crack setting in this album made for a intimidating listen. I think it's obvious that this album is anti-fascist but apparently not everyone thinks that way. Musically, DsO did some interesting things here, you don't see them change up the pace much and even though tracks like Ad Arma weren't my favorites they show that the band is still thinking about where they can go with their sound. I actually wish they would explore their melodic side a bit more like they do on Fires of Frustration, easily the best track on the album for me.

03. Tropical Fuck Storm - Braindrops
    Awesome punk-rock sort of album just a year after their debut. Very sarcastic, catchy and strange while also exploring the bands quieter and darker side some more.

04. Idle Hands - Mana
    A gothic/heavy metal combination that sounds so obvious and right that I wonder where this album has been all those years. Cheesy and very passionate but also extremely catchy and fun.

05. Twisted Tower Dire - Wars in the Unknown
    Stupidly catchy and fun heavy metal that is also somewhat zany in parts like Light the Swords on Fire.

06. Visigoth - Bells of Awakening
    This could've been in place 5. as well. If it was an album it most likely would have been. Visigoth prove once more that they are the best band in the NWOTHM. Fantastic trad metal that captures the tragic heroism of the Dark Souls world and its characters.

07. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest
    Who knew that the best thrash metal of the album would be written by a psych rock band? Very memorable concept album that blends an understanding and appreciation for thrash metal with King Gizzard's characteristic sound.

08. Bushwhacker - A Fistful of Poison
    The cowboy sludge album I didn't know I needed. A concept album that combines egyptian mythology and the wild west for a well-written short story told in great modern sludge of the Mastodon school.

09. Midnight Odyssey - Biolume Part 1: In Tartarean Chains
    Not what I wanted and exactly what I wanted at the same time. I revisited Shards of Silver Fade shortly before this came out and came to the conclusion that it's actually a fantastic album full of memorable moments in its 2 1/2h runtime but just too long to listen to regularly. I'm glad Dis Pater is trying to fix that with this trilogy of albums which In Tartarean Chains is the first part to. It's still 70 minutes but that's way more manageable than his previous releases.

What I wanted from this album were more cinematic synths and moments like on Shards and more ambitious synthwork like on his side project Death Comes Crawling. I got that in parts but this album only has a few standout tracks with the rest being fairly solid. I'm hoping for the other parts to be better, the second of which might even come out this year.

10. Salvaticus - Ordo Naturalis
    Big surprise for me this year. Very competent meloblack that reminds me of Wolves in the Throne Room without all the ambience and shoegazing. Straightforward and fierce, just the way I like it.

11. Critical Defiance - Misconception
    Very competent chilean thrash that mostly recalls the classics like Slayer but also takes some cues from the modern greats like Vektor. Thrash really needs every good album it can get and this is one of them.

12. DJ Armok/DJ Bishop/Pillbox - Dungeon Rap: The Introduction
    Who knew that mixing dungeon synth and lo-fi hip-hop would be this awesome?

13. Perihelion - Agg
    Great hungerian post metal that reminds me of Thy Catafalque, just less diverse. Fantastic, passionate vocal performance. Unfortunately the album is a bit short and somewhat unambitious. I think this band could go further but you can definitely tell that there's been a slow development over the course of their career so far. I'm going to keep and eye on these guys from here on out.

14. Orville Peck - Pony
    Homosexually charged cowboy alt. country with post punk influences. An atmospheric nocturnal listen that is a bit too long with too few, if absolutely fantastic, highlights. Also a project to keep an eye on.

15. Constellatia - The Language of Limbs
    Very washed out yet straightforward post metal/blackgaze from South Africa, if I remember correctly. I felt strangely sucked in by this album for a while, unfortunately drops off a bit in the second half.

16. Cloud Rat - Pollinator
    My grind album of the year. Probably the only grind album I really liked. Jon Chang and Takafumi Matsubara unfortunately couldn't deliver for me. Pollinator is some great modern grind though, if a bit inconsistent.

17. Wishfield - Wishfield
    Very unusual blackgaze played on fretless guitars which the band makes wonderful use of on this album.

18. Misþyrming - Algleymi
    Somewhat what I wanted from this band though not quite all I wished for. Some very strong tracks at the start and end of the album but the more black'n'roll midsection doesn't quite keep up with the highlights. I still like the direction the band is going in, I just think this is one of those cases where I would enjoy the music more if I actually understood the lyrics.

19. White Ward - Love Exchange Failure
    By itself, this is a great jazzblack album. Compared to their debut, I was quite disappointed. I had to come to terms with this one a bit but at its core this is still White Ward and I think now that they seem to have found their stride with the new line-up we can expect great things from them in the future. This album was much more ambitious and diverse than Futility Report but neither the vocals nor the mix or blackgaze parts lived up to their counterparts on Futility Report. Still a good listen.

20. Gaahls Wyrd - GastiR: Ghosts Invited
    Gaahl coming out with some Enslaved-core. Haunting and icy meloblack that I should've given more spins but just didn't really get around to.

Honorable Mentions:
    Undeath - Sentient Autolysis
    Crunchy, groovy death metal demo. I know for some this will just be more Incantation worship, for me this is just death metal done right in a sea of unremarkable releases.

Minenfeld - The Great Adventure
    Same goes for this. Very Bolt Thrower-y and groovy but more interesting to me than Bolt Thrower.

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
    Some of the hip-hop I liked this year.

Whiskey Ritual - Black Metal Ultras
    Really fun darkthrone-meets-hooligans black'n'roll. Violent, filthy, silly. Just kinda dumb fun.

Wormed - Metaportal
    I've actually come to feel that Wormed is somewhat underappreciated and I'm not helping the situation by them barely missing making it into my lists all the time. This was a good EP with some leftover Krighsu material though. I actually think they work better in small doses so this was good.

Valborg - Zentrum
    German industrial doom. Very sparse and reduced resulting in a very cold and emotionless experience. Not my favorite album of this year but I gave this some spins.

Arch/Matheos – Winter Ethereal
    Traveler – Traveler
    Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult – Mardom
    Crypt Sermon – The Ruins of Fading Light
    Atlantean Kodex – The Course of Empire
    Slow – VI - Dantalion
    Mgła – Age of Excuse
    False – Portent
    Orodruin – Ruins of Eternity
    Schammasch – Heart of No Light
    The Great Old Ones – Cosmicism
    Fvneral Fvkk – Carnal Confessions
    Chevalier – Destiny Calls
    Misþyrming – Algleymi
    Turilli / Lione Rhapsody – Zero Gravity (Rebirth and Evolution)
    Bloodbound – Rise of the Dragon Empire

Honourable mentions:

Kull – Exile
    Blut Aus Nord – Hallucinogen
    Darkthrone – Old Star
    Obsequiae – The Palms of Sorrowed Kings
    Mizmor – Cairn
    Smoulder – Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring

Absolute best album of the year is Visigoth – Bells of Awakening but let’s be honest it’s not really even an EP but a glorified single.

Favorite song: Arch/Matheos - Kindred Spirits
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2020-01-02 at 01:10 PM.

This year is going to be good

Oops thread died.

Here's some good 2020 meloblack
    Keep up with what I'm rating here and my last.fm here

New Nightwish album "Human. :||: Nature." announced to be released on 10th April 2020.

http://nightwish.com/en/news/2020/01...6-human-nature

They're at it again, don't know what to say. It'll have 10 songs, but one of them is a longer one and will be on the 2nd disc of the album. Looking at the track listing it looks promising though.

Sabaton's livestream from their concert in Warsaw, Poland is about to begin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJIJg3QG8x0

melodic black / death

Haiduk - Exomancer

haiduk.bandcamp.com

Anyone like Ufomammut?

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    New Nightwish album "Human. :||: Nature." announced to be released on 10th April 2020.

http://nightwish.com/en/news/2020/01...6-human-nature

They're at it again, don't know what to say. It'll have 10 songs, but one of them is a longer one and will be on the 2nd disc of the album. Looking at the track listing it looks promising though.
    New song. I'm loving what I've heard so far.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    never dick crazy.
    unless they have tentacles and more then 2 eyes.

dare you not to dance with your dog and smash beer cans on your forehead to this one
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...