Thread: [Music] Metal

Necroing with 2020's album of the year and some of the finest black metal we've ever heard.

Currently in my top 3 releases, together with the new Malokarpatan and Today is the Day.

For non-metal, Yuri Gagarin (space rock) is leading the fray.

Pretty gutted to be honest regarding all the lock downs and closures. This year was going to be quite eventful for me, as a full time adult support worker and live-in carer, I only get to go to gigs once a year. This year things had began to look up but obvious current events have stopped things in their tracks.

Going to miss seeing Jethro Tull for the first time as Ian Anderson is cancelling rather than postponing.

KMFDM and Fields of the Nephilim is looking to be in doubt also

This is my aoty so far, firmly. Main songwriter of Morbus Chron is back with a new band named after their last album and this new one is a logical progression of Sweven.

- - - Updated - - -

The new Spectral Lore and Mare Cognitum was great too but I'm more interested in the new Midnight Odyssey that is gonna come out later this year.

I loved Morbus Chron's Sweven. This, I just find mindlessly boring. It's disappointing, as one'd think that being the target audience of a release (after all, it being named after an album you love, by one of the guys that made that album) it'd be on point. It's just meandering, overly proggy with very little to do with metal outside the last track.

Heard someone compare it to how Tribulation went and just stopped being metal and that Morbus Chron / Sweven squarely aimed for that same audience. Can see their reasoning, but Tribulation at least had songs to go with it, even if it wasn't my style anymore.

Oh I didn't know that dropped. Gonna listen later.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I loved Morbus Chron's Sweven. This, I just find mindlessly boring. It's disappointing, as one'd think that being the target audience of a release (after all, it being named after an album you love, by one of the guys that made that album) it'd be on point. It's just meandering, overly proggy with very little to do with metal outside the last track.

Heard someone compare it to how Tribulation went and just stopped being metal and that Morbus Chron / Sweven squarely aimed for that same audience. Can see their reasoning, but Tribulation at least had songs to go with it, even if it wasn't my style anymore.
    Completely disagree. This being softer and more progressive doesn't bother me at all. I think this is a fairly logical progression of the sound he started to go for with Sweven (the album). I'd say that the first and last two tracks are definitely the highlights on The Eternal Resonance but it's still overall more consistent than Sweven.

The songwriting is mindblowing, honestly. Some of the best I've heard in all of metal. Even looking past my penchant for melodic music. The melodies and the way they develop, the emotional weight of the tracks despite how mellow they are. The vocal performances are fantastic.

I wouldn't have minded if the album had some more intense tracks like Visceral Blight and I can see an hour being pretty long for some people. I think Andersson is also a bit too hesitant with the additional instrumentation sometimes, like I wouldn't mind if the album had more group vocals like the last track. But overall, I'm extremely satsified with this one and I'm excited to see where the band is going to go to next.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sweven too, but for me it's hard to understand how someone that loves Sweven can't at least enjoy The Eternal Resonance. It's not like Sweven was much more death metal or much more intense overall.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also, Old Man Gloom did it again. They surprise released another album ahead of their new one that is going to come out in May.
    https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp...kness-of-being

They wanted to bamboozle everyone again but due to the current situation they just decided to drop one ahead of time to keep people entertained.

Listened to about half of it so far, excellent stuff, but I think I liked Morbus Chron a bit better. Will need to listen to the rest.

Orbit Culture is one of my favourite bands now, ever since their 2016 Rasen album which was one of my top 5 albums of that year. This track is the best they made. This vocalist is so incredible, so many styles, everything just sounds so goddamn good and aggressive. Been a while since a song gave me goosebumps, and then you listen to 2:45 until the end and get blown away...

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus1 View Post

Orbit Culture is one of my favourite bands now, ever since their 2016 Rasen album which was one of my top 5 albums of that year. This track is the best they made. This vocalist is so incredible, so many styles, everything just sounds so goddamn good and aggressive. Been a while since a song gave me goosebumps, and then you listen to 2:45 until the end and get blown away...
    Good Song, didnt know the band until now. But i have to say, the ending melody is a a blatant copy of the Interstellar-Theme, which i cant post here. But youtube -> interstellar main theme ist your friend :>

Quarantine equals more time to listen to music. Haven't heard this one in probably half a decade. Still a 10/10.

Apparently a new 2 hour Paysage d'Hiver album has leaked. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Apparently a new 2 hour Paysage d'Hiver album has leaked. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.
    A while ago actually. Not sure if it's out in good quality yet, I didn't really keep up with it. He held some form of listening event in January where he invited a limited number of people to a listening session of the new album with him. It was some form of random lottery from a Facebook post he did. People that got invited also got a digital version of the album but it was only 192kb/s.

What a month my dudes. Paysage d'Hiver, Ulcerate, Oranssi Pazuzu, Elder and Black Curse all dropping nuclear bombs.

I tried listening to that Paysage d'Hiver album but I just can't get into it. The music itself I don't have much issue with, but the lo-fi sounding audio quality really kills it for me and just sounds like it was recorded on an old phone in an actual forest. It's a bummer because there's some bands that are part Black Metal that I love (Agalloch was one of them) but there's many I can't get into simply because of how the music is presented. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I tried listening to that Paysage d'Hiver album but I just can't get into it. The music itself I don't have much issue with, but the lo-fi sounding audio quality really kills it for me and just sounds like it was recorded on an old phone in an actual forest. It's a bummer because there's some bands that are part Black Metal that I love (Agalloch was one of them) but there's many I can't get into simply because of how the music is presented. :/
    Get better headphones and listen to a proper source. Trust me, it's a seminal record.

Gonna wait until the official release. Wintherr is sad that someone leaked the album because it must've been someone from the listening session he held. Which also means that any 320kbs version you see right now is probably a transcode.

SUICIDE SILENCE - You Only Live Once

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    What a month my dudes. Paysage d'Hiver, Ulcerate, Oranssi Pazuzu, Elder and Black Curse all dropping nuclear bombs.
    That Ulcerate is a frontrunner to be my AotY, tbh. It's incredibly good.