Thread: [TV] Pantheon

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account

[TV] Pantheon

Pantheon

Ok full disclosure I started watching this with out watching this trailer, more below on that, but damn if I had watched this first I would have never hesitated to at least given 1 episode to convince me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTgYeETwgKQ

How did people miss this show. I mean I know it is a western animated show so might not meet some peoples standards of being Anime, but wow I guess I now know personally what the term "sleeper hit" means. The only reason I even bothered was because I was bored this morning and had already been catching up on this seasons anime on HIDIVE, even the AMC name in the banner, the channel it is being show on, made me leery and hesitant to even bother knowing western animation is either My Little Pony or Archer with nothing really in between. I decided to give it 1 episode because I was bored and I could always nope out at anytime, but damn if this did not just suck me in with just the first minute or 2 with the line and I am paraphrasing "The girls bullying me missed the start of the end of the world because they were bullying me.". I mean who won't be caught off guard by that in the first sentence of a show?

Once I heard that I did some digging one the show to see what it was about, wondering if this was just viewer bait. It turns out this show is based on the short stories from "The Apocalypse Triptych". There is not much online about it with a cursory look, but what I did find was very compelling and intriguing. It is a collection of short stories about the Apocalypse going from just before, during, and finally after one. When I read that I knew I had to keep watching just a bit more, at the very least, to see if it was done correctly, the fact it was approved for two 8 episode seasons and an hour runtime on cable also help given that it showed AMCs faith in the show. So here I am 4 or so hours later singing its goddamn praises because this is the middle ground between sappy kids shit and South Park humor that western animation has been missing. So far if just sticking the the genre it is in I would say this equals Psycho-Pass at minimum and approaches Ghost in the Shell levels of themes and questions about humanity. Or maybe more akin to the arc in Dr. Who season 8 episodes Dark Water/Death in Heaven.

What do you think? And unlike normally I will respond to this thread, I mean I am making it after all, it is just basic courtesy after making a thread to not ghost your own thread.

I'm intrigued. Animation looks good. I wish more sci-fi/fantasy books would go the animation route. It's cheaper and more flexible. They probably don't due to some outdated and perceived stigma associated with animation being for "kids only".

The Otherland by Tad Williams is one such book I think would work well as a animated series since it is heavily future based technology.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks interesting. That's saying something; I'm not a huge fan of cartoons. I feel like I have too much to watch these days though with very little spare time. Guess I need a watchlist..
    Hi

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    They also have a pretty good cast with Aaron Eckhart, and Daniel Dae Kim (Johnny Gat from Saints Row) that I recognized by voice. I was surprised by the quality also since it is on par or better than the DC Animated films that are about as best as you can get outside of Disney or Pixar films.

The fact that it is a show for grown-ups is fucking odd for western animation, almost like they are finally taking ques from Japan given how much money they make from Western audiences. 'Bout fucking time I say if true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Looks interesting. That's saying something; I'm not a huge fan of cartoons. I feel like I have too much to watch these days though with very little spare time. Guess I need a watchlist..
    If you like. . . I guess "hard sci-fi"? you will like this a lot. Hard sci-fi is near future, like a few decades away possible tech? If so you will really like this. Lets just say it takes the "Singularity" and reframes it into something "fantastic", and not the black hole kind of singularity.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I also loved the Shawn of the Dead reference with Queens "You're My Best Friend" playing, it fit in the zombie movie Shawn of the Dead and also fits here just as well given the subject matter. Fuck avoiding spoilers is really hard since this animated show is pulling from western films and a couple of Anime. But have to say this mix of east and west is what I think a lot of us have been waiting for and halfway through the first season, and I am not saying "fuck this shit" says a lot. After watching Anime for 29 years, fuck being 14 seems so long ago. . . whatever, anyway means I have 29 years to compare and contrast shows, and I am saying this is good. Hell I went to the World premiere of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust back in 2001. Just saying because for anime fans I know my shit, for everyone else I can atest that this is much better than any Western animated movie/show ever, I watch most of the DC Animated Universe movies because they are the closest story-wise to Anime the West has to offer, and even those are more teen to late teen focused. Pantheon is not period.
    Last edited by Antipathy1018; 2022-09-15 at 09:14 PM.

saw first ep and next one preview.yeah...i love it so far,its basicaly SOMA,im curious if this ends up as actual upload or copy,because if its a copy,then its not you,the copy thinks it is,but the you that was is no more,any1 who played SOMA knows how terrible that is,Frictional Games are gods

my theory is people missed it becasue its AMC+. i didn't even know this show existed before this thread and AMC is not exactly at the top of people's minds when it comes to subscription streaming services (yes I know they have walking dead, but if its not the show that interests you... they just seem to be very niche in general). I'm getting slight ghost in a shell vibes from the trailer, but not quite the same tone.

might subscribe for a free trial once all of the season is out.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    @deenman The paradox you are talking about is a very deep recursive rabbit hole that can drive a person mad. Let me just say the show keeps getting better.

@Witchblade77 It is also showing on HIDIVE so if you like anime the 6$ a month for that would be much better than AMC+. I only found it because I have a HIDIVE account and there was a banner for it and I was bored as fuck yesterday after catching up on this seasons anime that HIDIVE/Sentai Filmworks picked up this season.

- - - Updated - - -

@deenman The paradox you are talking about is a very deep recursive rabbit hole that can drive a person mad. Let me just say the show keeps getting better.

@Witchblade77 It is also showing on HIDIVE so if you like anime the 6$ a month for that would be much better than AMC+. I only found it because I have a HIDIVE account and there was a banner for it and I was bored as fuck yesterday after catching up on this seasons anime that HIDIVE/Sentai Filmworks picked up this season.

Edit: I tried to write about the paradox but my keyboard went fucking haywire ad I had to pull out a new one. I literally lost about 3 to 4 paragraphs about the whole is the copy real paradox with, I think was some insight as to if a copy is real if the original is gone and we are defined by our experiences. But no as I reached the end of that post it got lost because my keyboard decided that it would infinitely keep pressing the ; key and another key I couldn't find. Oh DFOR DFUCKS SAKE THIS KEYBOARD IS PUSHING THE D AND DF KEYS WHEN I ONLY PUSH THE F KEY. Yes I deleted the D dfrom, dfuck you see the issue now?

Oh goo hitting it works, guess I dislodged the problem. God the 1 time I promise to respond to posts my hardware decides to say nope fuck you. /sigh this keyboard may have been in storage for 2 years but that does not give it the right to screw me and not work.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness there just really annoyed my replacement keyboard was acting like my broken one.

Sorry for derailing my own thread.

its still $6 a month and I don't like anime enough to have a separate subscription service for it and I would wager neither do a lot of other people. the show is on the niche channel whether its AMC or HIDIVE. which is why its so under the radar IMO.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    its still $6 a month and I don't like anime enough to have a separate subscription service for it and I would wager neither do a lot of other people. the show is on the niche channel whether its AMC or HIDIVE. which is why its so under the radar IMO.
    Well as it turns out AMC+ and HIDIVE cost the same per month. I just brought up HIDIVE because it seemed you didn't know and didn't know if you liked Anime? Though you might find more in HIDIVE's catalog more interesting than AMC+.