Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by angry bastard View Post
    I felt this thread needed more *GOOD* metal
    ...so why did you only post one good song? Shoulda kept the Vektor and added some old Queensryche or Overkill for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    ...so why did you only post one good song? Shoulda kept the Vektor and added some old Queensryche or Overkill for example.
    No I don't wanna post shit music.

Actually I'm joking but you probably aren't, which is sad because that makes you just a narrow minded prick. Unexpect is amazing in its own way, and if you think otherwise then you have a particularly sad view on what constitutes good music.

---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 01:08 AM ----------

Last edited by angry bastard; 2011-12-04 at 12:07 AM.
    Have you ever wondered about if your mom ever kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob?

You are now.

...And that's what happens when you insult people for their taste in music. Let's keep it friendly, even though this is a Metal thread.

Quote Originally Posted by angry bastard View Post
    No I don't wanna post shit music.

Actually I'm joking but you probably aren't, which is sad because that makes you just a narrow minded prick. Unexpect is amazing in its own way, and if you think otherwise then you have a particularly sad view on what constitutes good music.[COLOR="red"]
    Unexpect had bad vocals(the female singer being less appealing than the growls, which I wouldn't have expected to think), which itself I could tolerate, but they also sounded very disjointed. If they'd get a little more cohesion I wouldn't object to them but the song you posted there sounds like they were recording 2 or 3 different songs and just decided to mash them together. It's a common problem a lot of more "typical" prog bands have as well, and I don't like it when they do it either.

Also, yeah I'm totally narrow minded. That's why in this thread alone I've posted power, prog, thrash, death, folk, and classic old school heavy metal, and still haven't covered all the subgenres I listen to. And that's just in regards to metal. Since this is a metal thread, I haven't posted any of the punk, classic rock, country, classical, or other non-metal stuff I listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    > Get drunk
    > Listen to power metal
    > awwwright

On a more serious note, Pitchfork's best Metal of 2011:

http://pitchfork.com/features/show-n...lbums-of-2011/

What do you think? I love seeing YOB, Ulcerate and Wolves in the Throne Room up there.

And look what I stumbled upon on Pitchfork:

<snip>

NEW ALCEST PROMO. AAAAAAA SO GOOD
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Though, I didn't seen Cormorant on there anywhere, and for a 2011 top 40 list it should've been in there somewhere, but maybe the author hasn't heard the album or of the band. Tombs, Ulcerate, YOB, 40 Watt sun all seem to be consistent top 10 albums of the lists I'm seeing, and rightfully so.

It actually started out being drunk and listening to powermetal, but then it descended into digging out my W.A.S.P., Queensryche, and Bruce Dickinson albums:

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    It actually started out being drunk and listening to powermetal, but then it descended into digging out my W.A.S.P., Queensryche, and Bruce Dickinson albums:
    I see your WASP and Bruce songs, and raise you:

10+ Year Old Account
    Hate it when they put the damn stickers on the actual CD jewelcase instead of the plastic wrapper.

Still, receiving Tombs - Path of Totality, Wolves in the Throne Room - The Celestial Lineage and Nader Sadek - In The Flesh in the same package is plenty reason to be joyful.

Deleted
    You get to know some great bands if you listen to Distortion Radio, including:

-
    A Day To Remember
    Of Mice and Men
    Abandon All Ships
    Memphis May Fire
    FFDP
    Attack Attack!
    Asking Alexandria
    The Word Alive
    I, The Breather
    Straight Line Stitch
    -

The list could easily go on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please do go on, because so far all I see is a bunch of lame and/or metalcore bands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Please do go on, because so far all I see is a bunch of lame and/or metalcore bands.
    Why is it that you don't like them so much?

-
    Scarlett O'Hara
    MS.WHITE
    We Came As Romans
    Everyone Dies In Utah
    A Bullet For Pretty Boy
    In Fear And Faith
    Heart In Hand
    Times Of Grace
    Sleeping With Sirens
    Periphery
    Close Your Eyes
    Beneath The Sky
    I See Stars
    -

Et cetera, et cetera..

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just not a huge fan of bands that are formed to imitate the sound of other bands. I see most of those bands developed a 'three/four word name' as a general warning sign, which is much appreciated. I'm not a fan of metalcore as, generally speaking, either the metal part has been done better (or even worse, it's just rehashing Slayer / At The Gates riffs) and the hardcore part has been done better. I'm not a huge fan of djent as it's mostly a repetition in morse code without any sort of groove to it and the actual concept of 'song' seems to have been ignored. Additionally, I'm not a fan of bands that have a sound made to appeal to as large a group of people as possible (FFDP).

15+ Year Old Account

Huge fan of these guys.

Also:
    Ensiferum
    Equilibrium
    Wintersun
    Turisas
    Windir

And some much less known bands like Brymir, Northland, Wulfgar, Wolfchant, etc.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Deleted
    I'm just not a huge fan of bands that are formed to imitate the sound of other bands. I see most of those bands developed a 'three/four word name' as a general warning sign, which is much appreciated. I'm not a fan of metalcore as, generally speaking, either the metal part has been done better (or even worse, it's just rehashing Slayer / At The Gates riffs) and the hardcore part has been done better. I'm not a huge fan of djent as it's mostly a repetition in morse code without any sort of groove to it and the actual concept of 'song' seems to have been ignored. Additionally, I'm not a fan of bands that have a sound made to appeal to as large a group of people as possible (FFDP).
    Fair enough, good thing not everyone has the same taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Graafaap View Post
    You get to know some great bands if you listen to Distortion Radio, including:

-
    A Day To Remember
    Of Mice and Men
    Abandon All Ships
    Memphis May Fire
    FFDP
    Attack Attack!
    Asking Alexandria
    The Word Alive
    I, The Breather
    Straight Line Stitch
    -

The list could easily go on.
    Thats a fairly good list of bands that dont deserve to be classified as metal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doriath View Post
    Thats a fairly good list of bands that dont deserve to be classified as metal.
    So.. you're saying metalcore is no metal at all? Mmkay, might wanna read OP's first post about posting 'any metal'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graafaap View Post
    Fair enough, good thing not everyone has the same taste.
    True that. In all fairness, there's a lot of bands posted that have no appeal to me at all, not just your list. Even 'real' metal like Arch Enemy or Amon Amarth which seems to crop up every other page.

15+ Year Old Account
    True that. In all fairness, there's a lot of bands posted that have no appeal to me at all, not just your list. Even 'real' metal like Arch Enemy or Amon Amarth which seems to crop up every other page.
    It's true. Even among metalheads there are wildly varying tastes and that's one of the best things things about the genre. I can't stand Behemoth or Cannibal Corpse but it's all metal and we're all metalheads. Live and let live, I say. We all know what we like and what we don't and for a lot of us it changes, often. It's all a part of the game.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Loooooooooooove these guys so much.