Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Hate it when they put the damn stickers on the actual CD jewelcase instead of the plastic wrapper.

Still, receiving Tombs - Path of Totality, Wolves in the Throne Room - The Celestial Lineage and Nader Sadek - In The Flesh in the same package is plenty reason to be joyful.
    All pretty solid albums. Nader Sadek is what the new Morbid Angel album should have been.

If Black Metal ever produced a stand out 'hit' I nominate this song.

"New" Solstafir.

It's definitely not very "metal", but this album fucking rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still in two minds about it. For some reason it just sounds like a black metal band discovered Sigur Ros or something.

Came across this song today for the first time in like 6 years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RJXWxth5g

This band is so.... fucking.... amazing...

I saw them live in Buffalo a number of years ago

I was a pothead teenager and was always too stoned to appreciate how amazing Necrophagist was/is

But wow... so much going on when you listen to this music

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Still in two minds about it. For some reason it just sounds like a black metal band discovered Sigur Ros or something.
    I don't even consider it Black Metal. I think it's a little harder for fans to get into initially because it completely lacks the darkness that previous releases had, and they did dark atmosphere so well that it's almost expected of them to do it again.

--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTj4z4-Cq-I

Pretty big jump to the side with this new release.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2011-12-08 at 03:56 PM.

Deleted
    I'm not a Symphony X die hard fan, but this one's epic:

Quote Originally Posted by naranha View Post
    I'm not a Symphony X die hard fan, but this one's epic:

I've been getting into these guys lately

I can definitely get into it

15+ Year Old Account
    Eluveitie is playing here Feb 28th... I really want to go see them (it's so ridiculously rare for the bands I like to come to Canada) but I don't know anyone else around here who likes them I just haven't decided yet if I want to go badly enough that I'd go alone...
    Last edited by Enders; 2011-12-08 at 04:33 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Deleted
    Could someone explain to me why do people praise Opeth so much? I often see people on the Internet and sometimes even in real life claiming that Opeth's "Blackwater Park" album is the greatest thing in metal. Even people who don't like metal music say "I'm not into metal, but Opeth's Blackwater Park is a modern musical masterpiece, and I'm so smart and classy and open minded for listening to it".
    So I finally gave up and Youtube'd some of their songs. It was... okay, I guess? It didn't sound bad but neither did it sound like something out of this world. I don't get it.

Deleted
    You get a similar sort of experience with other prog rock/ metal bands, you need to listen to it like 10 times before you realise "Hey, this is actually fucking awesome."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaino View Post
    You get a similar sort of experience with other prog rock/ metal bands, you need to listen to it like 10 times before you realise "Hey, this is actually fucking awesome."
    Yeah, I know. I didn't get DsO for the first twenty times. But then I liked it. Though, also nothing that special.
    I did the same with Opeth, and I actually liked them for the first time I listened to a song. But I still don't get it why do people consider it the best band or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    Could someone explain to me why do people praise Opeth so much? I often see people on the Internet and sometimes even in real life claiming that Opeth's "Blackwater Park" album is the greatest thing in metal. Even people who don't like metal music say "I'm not into metal, but Opeth's Blackwater Park is a modern musical masterpiece, and I'm so smart and classy and open minded for listening to it".
    So I finally gave up and Youtube'd some of their songs. It was... okay, I guess? It didn't sound bad but neither did it sound like something out of this world. I don't get it.
    It's fairly listenable as far as extreme metal goes, especially for someone who may not have that much exposure to metal. It's the same thing with prog and Pink Floyd. Many can listen to Floyd but are lost when it comes to King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer, et cetera.

Deleted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    Eluveitie is playing here Feb 28th... I really want to go see them (it's so ridiculously rare for the bands I like to come to Canada) but I don't know anyone else around here who likes them I just haven't decided yet if I want to go badly enough that I'd go alone...
    Just go fucking alone. I would. We've never had Eluveitie come to Portugal and they're one of the few bands I REALLY want to see and haven't yet - Give me a concert anywhere in Portugal or nearby countries and I'm there, alone or otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I don't even consider it Black Metal. I think it's a little harder for fans to get into initially because it completely lacks the darkness that previous releases had, and they did dark atmosphere so well that it's almost expected of them to do it again.

--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTj4z4-Cq-I

Pretty big jump to the side with this new release.
    Well, it's what they started as and where they still have their roots. It shows a bit in their sound, even though they moved away from it quite dramatically.

It's basically where Opeth's claim to fame started. It was the turning point. Before that, they'd released three albums that basically had the reviewers raving on and the rest of the world ignoring it. Blackwater Park for some reason just was the right album at the right time for them to explode into the world. I still like that album, but in all honesty, pretty much everything else following it feels like a repeat of that album. Other than the last one anyway. It's just basically expanding on that album, the sound of it and the melodies as well as how the proggy and metal parts alternate. Even on the last album, it feels like they're still doing Blackwater Park, except now without the metal. It's basically the only reason I actually can stand the last album somewhat as it's not something of a direct clone of Blackwater Park.

In all honesty, it did set a standard and create a (fairly) unique new sound. It did allow people who did not dig death metal to enjoy those songs because of the melody lines, the proggy bits and the clean vocals. It made them learn there can be beauty in that racket called death metal. Just a shame that when they were touring Blackwater Park, Michael's vocals really weren't that good just yet live and they were static as hell to watch. Was one of the more boring shows I saw that year.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2011-12-08 at 08:58 PM.

Deleted
    Seems a right place to advertise our metal camp a bit
    All info on http://www.metalcamp.com/ (Eluveitie will be there too!)

Shit, I'd go if I was anywhere near there, that's my birthday.

Opeth was able to write mainstream-friendly Progressive Death Metal. It's very, very accessible as far as that stuff goes. The way they balance loud/soft dynamics almost effortlessly in Blackwater Park is what makes it a standout. Folk and Jazz mixtures have been done with Death Metal before, but their particular blend of the two is what probably makes them so well-recieved by people.

And let's face it. This:

Is fucking awesome.

Go for it. They put on a good show when I saw them(in Texas!) at Paganfest 2008 with Ensiferum, Tyr, and Turisas. Their set was short(they were the opener of the 4 bands, so no surprise) but it was good. I'd not actually listened to them prior to that, but I picked up Slania after the show. And it's not like you'll get a ton of chances to do it again, so I say see em.

As for Opeth, they bore me to tears. It's not that "you have to listen to them 10 times before you realize how great they are", cause I HAVE listened to them, many many times. And they always leave me uninterested and bored.

I dont get it either they just bore me...(same with Avenged Sevenfold tbh)