Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Entire new Secrets of the Moon is up as a Youtube playlist.

Deleted
    New Sigh is crazy

Anyone got Death - Vivus yet btw?
    So much stuff to order this year.. Have to cut on buying clothes and food to get more albums.

Deleted

Today we drown ourselves in alcohol and dance naked in the full moon in the forest while feasting on roasted pork!

Deleted
    I have a terrible hangover now, so it is only natural I need to blast 30 minute dronedoom songs at full volume.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    To me personally

Generics
    Industrial Metal
    Metalcore " Modern and melodic "
    Japan Metal " My favs...The Gazette,Mucc,Dazzle Vision "
    Viking Metal

my 20 top Band......................
    1.Pantera
    2.NIN
    3.Rammstein
    4.OOMPH!
    5.Tatu
    6.Trivium
    7.Woods of Ypres
    8.Shadow Fall
    9.Parkway Drive
    10.Ready.set.falls "my fav"
    11.As i lay dying
    12.Inflames
    13.Lacuna coil
    14.Apocalyptic
    15.Dark tranquillity
    16.Himsa
    17.Deftones
    18.Miss may i
    19.Alice in chain
    20.Theory of a deadman

but not in that order and to be honest they are " awesome kicka@@ band " but what i don't like is when there is friction inside the band and it happen and someone leave or kickout and get replace is get distort and change the band image and persona even thought there music is still the same but is tainted and the same with lead singer
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2012-03-16 at 04:05 PM.

Is there any fairly recent (last 10 years or so) metal album that doesn't suffer from brickwall-compressed production?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    Is there any fairly recent (last 10 years or so) metal album that doesn't suffer from brickwall-compressed production?
    Yea. It's getting better. Quite a few people got tired of the loudness war. Today Is The Day, Burzum, Sigh or Devin Townsend being some examples on fairly different ends of the musical spectrum.

Woods of Ypres
    Can anyone enlighten me why? I just don't see the appeal in this band.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    When i saw you response and comment to me one of the best black/doom metal band there is...........i was in SHOCK and MYSTIFIED............but there are other in the black/doom metal columns but to me this band is good and with david gold vocal...........OMG..........is a genuine is too bad he died young at 31

and i know he resting in some dark enchanted forest as we speak

RIP : David Gold
    Woods of Ypres - Allure of the Earth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSuVTbSjEKM

Woods of Ypres - A Meeting Place and Time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elc2G...eature=related

Woods Of Ypres - Your Ontario Town Is A Burial Ground
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3q6F...eature=related

Woods Of Ypres "I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery" [Official Video]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Tvc...eature=related
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2012-03-16 at 07:13 PM.

Deleted

There's part 2 and 3 [just 2 min] too out there, the song is quite long.

The atmosphere in this song is just simply....that's why I love wolves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me why? I just don't see the appeal in this band.
    I've never understood the hype either. Their music just don't strike me as being anything new or innovative in anyway and it just sound like they are trying to play something that has been done better in the past already.

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 08:31 PM ----------

Here is a review that hits the nail on the head:

I decided to check this band out at the recommendation of a friend. Well, what can I say..I always figured this guy didn't have the greatest taste, but several other people said this was a great up-and-coming band, so I had to give it a listen. The demo was compared to Ulver's "Bergtatt", which, although not normally the type of black metal I find myself listening to, is an album I really appreciate. This, however, is almost painful, moreso because everyone seems to be mindlessly singing its acolaides. What we have here is some fast tremolo picking, some lazy loping chords that vaguely attempt to be atmospheric, and some downright terrible vocals. I counted a total of one great riff on this demo, on track two I believe it was, and it lasted for about five seconds. I thought, "if they could write some riffs like that and merge them with some actually well thought out melodic passages, this band could be really good"...but sadly, they never do.

For some reason, a lot of Ontarians seem to think good black metal consists of mindless melodic noodling and hissy, flegm-choked vocals. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I suspect it has something to do with a lot of young blood being introduced to bands like Emperor and Ulver and Immortal and forging ahead with a rather distorted ideal of what playing this type of music is all about, without really having any background in good metal besides the aforementioned older and admittedly often very good second wave BM stalwarts. It's releases like this, or rather, the positive reactions they seem to generate, that make me lose faith in the scene here. Woods....would probably be capable of producing some good music if they broadened their musical horizons beyond Ulver and Opeth, and got a new vocalist, but sadly, the praise they're getting at this point is probably feeding their egos to the point where they actually believe they're the crown jewel of Canadian melodic "black metal"...damn, I hesitate to even call this by that name.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the problem I have with them. It just feels like a poor version of Ulver's Bergtatt, Katatonia and some Opeth. I don't particularly like the last two already and for me, it never reaches the (undoubted) quality of those bands.

I see people gushing about them (as the above poster), but they never actually explain what it is they love about the band. To me the melody lines are fairly bland and the vocals aren't that outstanding either.

Mind you, there's plenty of bands where I just don't get what people see in them... (Thrice being another great example). As opposed to a whole bunch of bands I don't like but can at least see what people enjoy about them (such as Arch Enemy or Amon Amarth).

Deleted
    So anyone discover any cool new releases?

Here are some that I liked:

Sigh - In Somniphobia
    Horrendous - The Chills
    Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre
    Dodecahedron - S/T
    Goatwhore - Blood for the Master
    Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht
    Mgla - With Hearts Toward None
    Proclamation - Nether Tombs of Abaddon
    Aborted - Global Flatline
    Undergang - Til Doden Os Skiller
    Christian Mistress - Possession
    Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light ii
    Charon - Sulphur Seraph
    Orange Goblin - A Eulogy for the Damned
    Asphyx - Deathhammer
    Ignivomous - What ever it was called. Only had one chance to list to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not 100% sure yet on the new Secrets of the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenom View Post
    You're either new to Metal or you've been living in a cave mate, hehe. [no offence]

You don't really see solos in the genre, it's actually one of the main things that help categorize it as BM.
    hm yeah I'm new to BM , I really didn't try it or care about it before say, a month ago .... so eh

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    So anyone discover any cool new releases?
    I'll have to check some of those that I haven't heard yet. Christian Mistress is goddamn legit. Also, have you heard the new Pallbearer? Currently my favorite 2012 Metal release.

Deleted
    Aside from what you listed:
    Lurk s/t
    Monolithe - Interlude Second
    Gorod - A Perfect Absolution
    Drudkh - Eternal Turn of The Wheel
    Pallbearer - Sorrow And Extinction
    Napalm Death - Utilitarian

Some of them better than others, but atleast worth checking out. I assume Death - Vivus is good too, ordered it but haven't gotten it yet.

Oh, and that Ignivomous album was called Contragenesis. Definitely buying that when it's out.
    Last edited by mmoc2abd8d08e4; 2012-03-16 at 09:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewhale View Post
    Monolithe - Interlude Second
    Listened to this today as it got staff picked on Metalstorm. Very decent, quality drone but I'm not sure if I can call it metal. Their previous stuffs definitely was but this feels like a sort of industrial/drone thing rather than drone metal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    Listened to this today as it got staff picked on Metalstorm. Very decent, quality drone but I'm not sure if I can call it metal. Their previous stuffs definitely was but this feels like a sort of industrial/drone thing rather than drone metal.
    I suppose I can agree with that, although as a non-musician I'd have just labelled it under some kind of experimental industrial doom or something.

I don't really listen to BM at all and I really liked this, haven't heard them before