Thread: [Music] Metal

Some of my favorites would be: Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, We Butter the Bread with Butter, Opeth, Gojira, Scar Symmetry, Arch Enemy. Mastodon being my favorite, Blood Mountain is their best Album in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    Thergothon reminds me...

Although I am not a huge fan of funeral doom (interestingly, I like less extreme doom variants (traditional/epic/death) and more extreme variants (drone/doom, extreme sludge) as well, but not this middle ground) I was familiarising myself with Esoteric and this album is huuuuuge

Not very easily digestible however.

And dat artwork!
    The Maniacal Vale is definitely one of my favorite albums, and yeah it's absolutely massive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanathan View Post
    We Butter the Bread with Butter
    The second I saw this name I knew it had to be a "-core" band. No other metal genre has that many weird names.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    The second I saw this name I knew it had to be a "-core" band. No other metal genre has that many weird names.
    Sometimes they get too silly (dunno WBTWB but most trve kvlt metalheads seem to hate them) but I do have to say those bands that can do the weird album name/song title/lyrics/band name thing well are actually pretty funny. War From A Harlots Mouth and Ion Dissonance always did very crazy music along with very long, tongue-in-cheek and totally random song titles and lyrics (that still managed to be about something) that imo gives a very unqiue feel to that mathcore scene. Somehow the absurdity and the randomness of them complemented the equally mad music very well.

I am especially loving WFAHM atm, sometimes they get a bit stale/get overwhelmed with breakdowns and staccato chugging but how many other bands do you know that does a mosh breakdown section with sampled machine gun sounds :P
    Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-04-21 at 07:34 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Taiwanese metal, maybe the most badass chorus I've heard in a while. They sing in a taiwan dialect of chinese (but it doesnt matters, we dont understand most english texts anyway ). Also nice video effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    We Butter the Bread with Butter
    That has to be one of the more daft band names I've seen in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    That has to be one of the more daft band names I've seen in ages.
    sadly, as ridiculous as that one is, it's not even the worst i've heard. i think Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! takes the blue ribbon.
    also, i've found that there's a very distinct lack of Allegaeon in this thread:

another good one of theirs is "Accelerated Evolution" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZncpO...eature=related
    Last edited by Thalkran; 2012-04-22 at 02:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    sadly, as ridiculous as that one is, it's not even the worst i've heard.
    In all honesty, I doubt anything will ever top the sheer stupidity of 'Suicidal Winds'. Listen guys, if your farts are that bad, open a window. To quote Bad News "No farting during a band meeting!"

There's tons of completely idiotic band names though... unfortunately.

Deleted
    It's a shame that these retarded metalcore bands with their stupid band names are so populair. Something I will never understand. Their music is shit, and totally boring compared to the real and serious bands around. Underground metal bands ftw.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    It's a shame that these retarded metalcore bands with their stupid band names are so populair. Something I will never understand. Their music is shit, and totally boring compared to the real and serious bands around. Underground metal bands ftw.
    There is honestly nothing wrong with listening to melodic metalcore (I don't pure metalcore is that popular), people like different things. That being said, it's the pop music of metal. It's accessible, has a ton of "pop hooks", lacks solos and uses both clean vocals (during choruses) and the "pig squeal" which somehow appeals to teenagers trying to vent their anger. To me, it seems like it's the compromise between screamo and melodic death metal. When you look at it that way it's honestly not that difficult to see why some people like it.

^Yesterday you were saying blah blah I don't know much about black metal etc, (and I don't, don't really care to)

But I was randomly checking some out and this band seemed to stand out as a better one, you probably already heard of it though

Still, not crazy about it or the genre as a whole but like I was saying this seems to me to be one of the better bands of the sort as I randomly stumbled upon

Also this band I already knew cause they toured with The Black Dahlia Murder, but I think this is one of the better black metal bands I've heard as well

What do you think of these? Good in the opinion of actual black metal fan or no? Just curious

Deleted
    There is honestly nothing wrong with listening to melodic metalcore (I don't pure metalcore is that popular), people like different things. That being said, it's the pop music of metal. It's accessible, has a ton of "pop hooks", lacks solos and uses both clean vocals (during choruses) and the "pig squeal" which somehow appeals to teenagers trying to vent their anger. To me, it seems like it's the compromise between screamo and melodic death metal. When you look at it that way it's honestly not that difficult to see why some people like it.
    I don't think it is necessarily the case.

It is more like, even melodic metalcore is easily dividable into categories.

Ignoring the prog metalcore things, there are still kind of harsh bands like Heaven Shall Burn, Caliban, Neaera, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive etc, there are less harsh but somewhat similiar to common melodeath bands like most of the Massachusetts metalcore scene (Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Unearth) and those ones with the primary mainstream appeal like Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu or the synthcore abominations like Attack, Attack or Asking Alexandria.

I don't see the first two categories any more accessible than melodeath.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    ^Yesterday you were saying blah blah I don't know much about black metal etc, (and I don't, don't really care to)

But I was randomly checking some out and this band seemed to stand out as a better one, you probably already heard of it though
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnaGHWgYvqc

Still, not crazy about it or the genre as a whole but like I was saying this seems to me to be one of the better bands of the sort as I randomly stumbled upon

Also this band I already knew cause they toured with The Black Dahlia Murder, but I think this is one of the better black metal bands I've heard as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJwkrTVONaM

What do you think of these? Good in the opinion of actual black metal fan or no? Just curious
    Tastes vary from one black metal fan to another. Watain is pretty popular but I honestly don't see what the all fuss is about. Skeletonwitch is new to me, it's okay i guess, kind of thrashy black metal. I more of fan of: Blut aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Lunar Aurora, Ruins of Beverast, Urfaust and of course the classics among many others. They truly maintain the rich atmosphere of the bands of the early '90s, while at the same time adding their own unique touch to the music.

Some might disagree with me on this, but I believe that it's important to understand the history of black metal, how it came about and evolved over the years to truly be able to appreciate it.

Like all other genres of metal, black metal requires a certain state of mind or mood. The music, if played at the right times, can evoke more emotions that any other form of metal can. Anger, hate, angst, melancholy, happiness and despair I feel are the most common ones.

I read in one of your previous post that you don't approve of the "evil" or "satanic" image of the band Slayer. If that's really the case I suggest you stay far away from black metal, since common themes include: satanism, darkness, evil, nature, melancholy, and romanticism, the first 3 being by far the most prevalent. I think you should also know that most bands that have this "evil" image do so just for show, to scare people or to create a certain setting, kind of like the occult bands of the '60s or Venom during the '80s.

If you do want to start listening to black metal just post in this thread, I'm sure there are many people willing to help you get started.

Deleted
    And it also has almost all elements in their songs most people hate about metalcore. Metalcore like that is just plain bad. There are some good metalcore bands around. Poster above mentioned a few, I still don't like it, but bands like that I can take more serious than bands with those retarded names. It's a pity that Neaera developed such a meh sound the last few albums, their first 3 albums are so incredible, but they lost that sound really fast somehow.

As I Lay Dying is one of the few who are doing it good. That's a lot more melodic, specially when you look at their last album The Powerless Rise. They are getting better and more melodic every single album, which is a good thing. Still one of my fav bands, and when I saw them live, the crowd went nuts (Touring with Amon Amarth).

One metalcore band I really like is this one. Barely any breakdowns (Some bands over-do them, like the last Invisius album, which is plain bad compared to their first album, which was awesome) and as far as I can remember, no cleans. Again, cleans aren't bad, just the whiney or autotune (lol) cleans are. There needs to be power in them, like with AILD.

If we're talking about good, modern Metalcore:

But then again, the first half of the song is pretty much Post-Rock, and the whole song relies on atmosphere rather than aggression. This one is probably closer to pop:

The use of vocal interplay and the heavy reliance on atmosphere in the middle(again) makes it stand out from stupid shit. I actually find modern metalcore extremeley enjoyable if it isn't just a marketing ploy to get 16-year-olds to buy music.

^I <3 Underoath, I do think they're worse off since Aaron left them, but still good
    I read in one of your previous post that you don't approve of the "evil" or "satanic" image of the band Slayer. If that's really the case I suggest you stay far away from black metal, since common themes include: satanism, darkness, evil, nature, melancholy, and romanticism, the first 3 being by far the most prevalent. I think you should also know that most bands that have this "evil" image do so just for show, to scare people or to create a certain setting, kind of like the occult bands of the '60s or Venom during the '80s.
    You're right, and I did already know that about black metal plus I honestly don't care a whole lot for the sound of it but its ok. I have no interest in seriously getting into Black Metal but occasionally I look some up and dabble in it just so I'm aware of whats out there really. I like to try to be informed of what musics out there even if I don't really like it.

I occasionally look into other various genres I don't particularly care for like Country or Dubstep too just to see if any of it really suits me, or just to stay informed so I could kind of hold a conversation about any kind of music. Cause I'm interested in music in general. I even managed to fill out the top 10 country artists topic with some sort of answer, even though I don't really listen to it

But yeah, I have no intentions of ever actually purchasing a black metal bands album or following any of them as an actual fan, just seeing whats there once in a while

Deleted
    Black metal? Here's some good ones

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye gods. That's four ews in a row. And that after Skeleton Witch' atrocious production, not to mention that horrid Death Metal with the even worse sound.

Come on guys, at least post something worthwhile in here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Ye gods. That's four ews in a row. And that after Skeleton Witch' atrocious production, not to mention that horrid Death Metal with the even worse sound.

Come on guys, at least post something worthwhile in here.
    And then you post Marduk.

Lolz